CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: breaking scents
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:14 pm 
IP:
How well do breaking sents work? And how do they work? I seen it for sale in the nitelite mag.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I had this same question posted a while back on ukc. Nobody ever answered. I'd really like to know also. I've got a very young walker and don't really like shockers. Sry I can't help. Ryan

"PR" Ryan's Slick Grip
"PR" Cripple Creek Rock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When my B&T was chasing deer we took deer dent and put it in a bag and held it over his nose until he couldnt stand it anymore. Then we put the sent all over the ground around him. Since that he has not chased a deer. They get so sick of smelling a certain sent that when they come across it in the field they dont bother with it. We used doe urine to break him from chasing deer.

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A simple fact on breaking scence, is that they dont work. all it is is pee in a bottle, and a deers foot does not smell like pee. ive tried breaking scents before, and they just simply do not work. Ill tell you another reason i know they dont work, is because when my pup was about 6 mounths old, i poured deer scent on the ground, and made a drag with it. well she started running the deer scent, well i shocked her with my shocking system. Well she did not want any part of that scent. So then i find a real deer, and she starts trailing it, like she never smelled it before, and the truth is, she hasnt smelled one before, except that scent in the bottle. So after she ran that deer there was no dought in my mind, that "DEER SCENTS DO NOT SMELL LIKE REAL DEER" But after i shocked her on the real deer, she would run another one. So that is how i know they do not work.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16.

(706)889-5083

Wrights Midnight Blue Kennels

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

midnightbluekennels wrote:
A simple fact on breaking scence, is that they dont work. all it is is pee in a bottle, and a deers foot does not smell like pee. ive tried breaking scents before, and they just simply do not work. Ill tell you another reason i know they dont work, is because when my pup was about 6 mounths old, i poured deer scent on the ground, and made a drag with it. well she started running the deer scent, well i shocked her with my shocking system. Well she did not want any part of that scent. So then i find a real deer, and she starts trailing it, like she never smelled it before, and the truth is, she hasnt smelled one before, except that scent in the bottle. So after she ran that deer there was no dought in my mind, that "DEER SCENTS DO NOT SMELL LIKE REAL DEER" But after i shocked her on the real deer, she would run another one. So that is how i know they do not work.

I think that dog just likes to run deer, that's all nothing wrong with the shocker or breaking scents. Just my 2 cents tho

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well Think what you wish, but this dog does not run deer anymore, NO thanks to the deer in a bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've tried the scents and they didn't do anything for my dogs. When a dog's into chasing deer, there's only two methods have worked for me: good boots and a switch or a shock collar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Breaking hounds on deer is a time consuming, multi-level game. You can't expect to give one exposure of shock collar, deer scent, One trip out to find a deer by the side of the road, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes once is enough, but not too often. Sometimes the hounds that break easiest off deer are the ones with less desire to run game period, sometimes not. Sometimes the ones that don't break off deer easy turn out to have the most desire, sometimes not. The only absolute in deer breaking is that it's going to take time. Time to find different ways to expose hounds to the deer (dumping them from the truck onto a hot scent, walking them in and crossing a hot scent, keeping up with them until they cross a hot scent, hunting them with another hound who may run a deer, doing any or all of the above on a colder track, getting them face to face with a deer after breaking them off the scent trail of a deer only, etc. etc. etc.), Time driving, time charging shock collars and prepping equipement, repeated times afield with the hounds. Time, time, time. Never used deer breaking scents, but would think they could have some place in a good deer breaking program. I'm more a running hound guy and one thing I noticed is coon hunters are always talking about thier "program" adding this hound to their program, thier program being heavy on this bloodline, etc. Heck your deer breaking "program" is every bit as important overall bloodline, genetics, etc program, but very few folks (some do and that includes some on this board)look at developing a deer breaking program. Instead they have an overall approach to working with a hound from pup to "finished" which includes deer breaking. Yet they have no solid step by step appraoch to the actual deer breaking. Did I mention Time being important. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

That's it Paul... Some may think their dog is completely broke of deer because it hasn't run one in a few months...

But the truth is, run that dog with a true deer runner or take it to the right woods at the right time and wam bam that dog's runnin deer again and you have to start over again.

The problem is many people do not have a strategic plan to the breaking of unwanted game. It is a TIME CONSUMING, THOUGHT OUT PROCESS! That means not 1 or 2 or even 7 nights of dropping on deer and shocking, but several months of a planned crash course to guarantee the dog is broke. And many times people find out that some dogs just are never totally broke off of unwanted game period.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

diesel dont take my word for it, or anybody elses, just go buy some deer scent, and try it for awhile and see if it works. They have never worked for me, and i have tried them many times. The only thing that has worked is a good ol' shoking collar sure it may take a few times, but i can promise you it will work better than a bottle scent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:26 pm 
IP:
Hey thanks for all the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

iv read about the bottles but never really figured they would work but i have never known anyone around here to use them eather. paul is right breaking dogs off deer takes a time. the first time my pup ran a deer she was 4 months old i let her run that one then a couple months later she ran another one i went to go shock her and wouldnt ya know it i forgot to turn the collar on the third race she had though she didnt get so luck i saw the deer cross the road so i backed up about 50 yards and roaded her through it she took to it and i was gonna wait till she opend on it well i heard her just around the corner of the road so i drove around and she had caught a yearling i fryed her good on that deer along with my male. after that it took one more deer and got her on full blast and she was pretty bent on deer i woulndt say broke i have been wanting to go out with a dog that i know will run a deer to test her out and to show her if she does run it that its still bad game. now i did only shock her once on elk and i got her good there and knock on wood she hasnt ran one agian and i had a whole herd cross in front of me the other day when i was roading the dogs all four dogs froze and then came running back to the truck with there tails tucks my ex girlfriends pup decided to run them so i let him get out there a ways till he got some good shock theropy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

what would be a good deer breaking program?

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject: Dog
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:34 pm 
IP:
We always had used shocking systems. We even would drop a dog off in a field with deer so he would run them and shock him. That work for our dogs that were running deer. The scent I really didnt care for them cause its a different ball game when they smell the real deal. Also made a collar out of deer hide and put them on the dogs. They get so use too the smell they dont bother with it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:00 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

did it work did you always put scent on it every time. can you ever quit? my dog knows if i put stop next to a field what im up too.