CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think my pup is ready to track coons without a leash. I have been running behind him (letting him drag me) while he follows a trail.
I dont wanna end up loosing him though and I cant afford a tracking collar. Are there any cheap alternatives (like under 100$)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Put you a small cow bell on his collar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:28 pm 
IP:
You can find some screamin deals on tracking systems if you just keep a close eye on the internet classifieds and ebay etc. A cow bell will help for sure, but having a good tracking collar is well worth the expense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A good tracking system is always nice to have just in case your hound decides to run out of the country. If you cant afford a tracker, a good alternative to pinpoint your dogs location is the Bright Eyes light up collars. They come in several collars and are visible over a 1/2 mile. They work really well, a buddy of mine has them for his dogs which is where I saw them for the first time. We were hunting in Pennsylvania on some big farms and I was able see the blinking lights on the dogs going through the woods while we stood at the truck where we dumped the dogs and they were a good 1/4 mile away and you could see their collars through the trees clear as a bell. They are really cool because you can see what your dogs are doing and they give some added safety incase they would happen to cross a road or something. I have a tracking system but I bought two for my hounds, half the time you dont need to get the tracker out you can just look for the lights going through the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:37 pm 
IP:
hey man how the heck do you think we got it done before trackers,you followed the dog,you tried to stay in hearing range,man i have tracker and put it on the dog every time but have only actualy had to turn on the receiver like 4 times in 3 years,and i promis you have more roads than me,get a good swiss bell you can hear them a lot farter than a small cow bell style bell and get a good pear of boots,there now you got $50 for gas to go hunting,good luck

Post subject: trackers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 am 
IP:
i dont even own a trackin collar or unit dont need one cuz i no where my dogs are at every moment we are in the woods, but i do understand some people need them cuz like some people say the dogs get out of the country lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just make sure you have a tag on your dogs collar with your phone number just incase you do loose him.

Post subject: Re: trackers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

delta nightlife wrote:
i dont even own a trackin collar or unit dont need one cuz i no where my dogs are at every moment we are in the woods, but i do understand some people need them cuz like some people say the dogs get out of the country lol

Man I remember saying the same thing years ago till I had a dog come missing one night and found him the next day along side a road dead.

Haven't turned a dog loose without a tracking collar since then.

I even throw the tracking collars on the bassets when taking them to the woods for training............witha dog, you never know what can happen. Always expect the unexpected.

Weazol, save up your money and invest in a system..............May end up saving your dog's life one of these days.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Weazol for a $100 you can buy a tracking collar (used). If you have a freind or hunting partner that has a tracking system buy a collar that will fit in that system. Then if you have a emergency you could barrow the box long enough to find your dog.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My advise, if you don't have access to someone's tracking receiver, would be to buy a lighted collar. Whether it be Magnum, Foggy Top, or Bright Eyes. I won't get into a debate over which is best, they all have good points. With a lighted collar, traffic can see them if they are on the road. Except in the summer time, when the weeds and brush are higher than the dogs, you can see them over a quarter of a mile. Except in a competition hunt where I may not want others to know where my dog is, I will not turn one loose without one, even though I have tracking collars on them, also.

Post subject: Re: trackers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:54 pm 
IP:
buckshot wrote:
delta nightlife wrote:

Man I remember saying the same thing years ago till I had a dog come missing one night and found him the next day along side a road dead.

Haven't turned a dog loose without a tracking collar since then.

I even throw the tracking collars on the bassets when taking them to the woods for training............witha dog, you never know what can happen. Always expect the unexpected.

Weazol, save up your money and invest in a system..............May end up saving your dog's life one of these days.

How would a tracking system kept your dog from getting ran over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:54 pm 
IP:
Cause you might have a chance at being at the road before the dog crosses it.If the dog happens to hi tail it out of the patch of woods your hunting.I dont let a dog go with out a tracking collar on them either.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:25 am 
IP:
I can see the reasoning behind this. I just don't think there is any way I could make it to the road before them in the places I hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Put it this way, whats the chance having your dog get hit in an hour compared to all night. Having a tracking system can let you know where he is and find him quickly, id rather have him in an hour or less with a tracking system. So would you rather find him easily that night, or wait around on a phone call the next day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The odds of your dog getting run over crossing a road on a coon track are less than when he has been treed all night and wants to go home and is looking for his owner by running the roads. After all dogs are pretty smart they know we plop down behind the wheel and drive around. I have found more of my dogs along a road just wandering around by roads when they are lost for a couple hours. Yes tracking collars aren't a gaurantee. But I will challenge anybody in a contest to find dogs. I will use my wildlife you can use your shoe leather and ears. Lets say a thousand dollars for every minute I beat you by. Also I hate to hear well we never used them back in the day so why use them now? Well babies used to born in caves also so why did you take your wife to the hospital to deliver the baby? Get with the times and give your hound the security he needs. You will lay your head on that pillow at night without worry alot more with a good tracking outfit.