CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm trying to decide between these...

Tri-tronics classic 70... time tested from the best I can tell.

Trashbreaker... greater range than the 70. Probably well worth the investment if it's only 50 dollars more than the classic 70.

Sportdog... same advertised range and features as the trashbreaker, without the tri-tronics name... and price. Anyone have any good, or bad to say about em'?

I have no experience with e-collars... so I'm going off yalls experience.

Next thing is a tracker. I don't think I'll need a tracker for a little while, but it won't be too long (hopefully). I'm not as willing to take "the road less traveled" for trackers. I can't lose my girl... I'd be heartbroken. On the other hand, I don't have hundreds of spare dollars left over every month either, so this is a major investment to me.

For the additional info... I am a one man show. I don't even know of anyone around me that coon hunts anymore, so the most I would ever need is a 2 dog system, and that's looking into the future should I get another dog. Any suggestions?

Joey

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Somewhere, some time you'll want the extra range of the trashbreaker. I have a friend that has a sport dog system. It works fine as well. I do like tritronics myself and have an old Judge plus that keeps going and going. Some feel tritronics give truer range than other brands, but I can't substantiate that myself don't know if they can factually, other than a feeling do the same as well, but maybe they did do a side by side similar circumstances, charge, etc comparison of range to come to that conclusion. Good luck.
You can pick up a good used Wildlife Materials TRX 10 or 16 pretty cost effective if your only looking for a system to handle several hounds. Good luck. Paul Conway.

Post subject: One more...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't really want a collar without an audible tone. I would also love to throw out a warning tone. Does the hound hunter have a tone at all? Further, does the 2 mile trashbreaker have the warning tone or is it just tone when stimulate? Thanks again.

Joey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I know the classic has a tone that can be used without shocking. You just press the other button. I use it a lot when my dogs get deep and I want them to come back. 90% of the time that method works better than yelling my lungs out lol.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yes my trashbreaker ultra has the audible tone but is the older version not the new one. But I would bet the new one does also. I would have to agree the trx 16 is a great tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 pm 
IP:
You might want to also check out the DT systems for an e-collar I have owned two DT systems one was stolen. I like them a lot. A lot of people are diehard tri-tronics people. I just think they are overpriced. I have a few friends that have tri-tronics and they do the same as I do with less intensity levels. My DT system has 62 intensity levels continuous and knick. LC Supply carried them. Just look at them and decide what you want. Get feedback like you're doing and see if any negative responses are given to each one. I have no experience with Sport Dog but have looked at them.

On a Tracker you just want a few collars go with the TRX 3 it will track 3 collars. I used to have one it was a cheaper option (because it only tracks 3) but it had the quality of Wildlife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:13 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The Tri Tronics people have given me excellent service on their American made products. My Trash Breaker has audable tones and I use it way more than the shock feature.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Okay, here was my thinking.

I saw a sportdog 3200 on ebay that started at .01$. My thought process was basically this. If I can get this system, albeit Chinese, for $75 then why not? That is worth the risk that it works halfway decent for me. I am willing to spend an extra 50 bucks to buy American if it works better, but I am on a pretty strict budget, so if I could save 125 bucks then hey. My budget is so strict that I have $80 in my dog box. I went to Lowes and bought the treated lumber to make it with. Is it sexy? Well... no, not really. It could have character with a nice custom paint job, but I don't really have the time to do that right now. I need to be in the woods with my dog as much as I can, and I only get to do that maybe 3 nights a week.

Well, that collar is now at $125, and it doesn't have the box, manual, or anything except the down and dirty. I would rather pay collar clinic $200 for something that is proven effective and has a 6 month warranty. Not to mention that their service rates aren't too dag on bad after the warranty runs out. If I buy this sportdog then I may need to send it back to wherever it came from, pay twice the rate for service, and it still (from what I hear from everyone here) may not work as well as a re-furbed trashbreaker or classic. My thinking is this, I will probably be using this thing for a long time. Over the long run, I think I'd rather pay 200 bucks for good American than 125 bucks for used Chinese.

Joey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i would stay away from Sportdog.Had an 1800 and couldn't get 3/10 of a mile in flat open country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Joey,

I've had two different Tri-tronics trashbreaker units over the years and would say they are worth the money. Those people have always given me great service on a great product. Someone mentioned using the beeper or tone portion more than the shocker, well, that's surely the truth. A few years ago I just had too many hounds to get off a bear tree by myself and I started using the tone function to call my dogs off the tree. Since that time, I've been able to call as many as nine hounds off a lion or bear tree when I'm ready to go with a six collar system. Before that I had strained my back, neck and knee pulling and tugging three or four dogs at a time. If properly used the tri-tronics system is worth its weight in gold, and the greatest thing invented since the tracking system......................

Keep'em treed,
ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not to mention that, along my way here, I've done quiet a bit of research on the sportdog (and DT and Tritronics). Reading some of the reviews over at cabellas, you see time and time again that the transmitter or receiver broke in a matter of days. Everybody always gives them brownie points for customer service, saying that they always fix the problems no questions asked, but do I really want to send something back 2 or 3 times for them to get it right? (there are alot of stories of the transmitter breaking, they get a new one in the mail, and then the collar quits the next week)

Further, everyone complains about the range on them. Every review I've read, even the positive ones, says that the range is less than half of what is advertised. So... I just thought I would throw that out there should anyone else be looking at a sportdog. They do some good marketing, and customer service is apparently pretty good, but I would rather buy something that works right to begin with and stay away from CS. Just thought I'd share that with everyone. If I was dead-set against tri-tronics I would look at dt systems before sportdog.