CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Light on a tight budget
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What coon light would you recomned for someone on a very tight budget. I just am getting back into coon hunting and am haveing to get everything again. I have an older wheat light but it wont charge or stay charged .

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:06 pm 
IP:
natchezss.com has the nite lite kitten kooner II on sale for 74.86. its a nice little light not as bright as the bigger voltage lights but it has a 9 hour continuous burn time. their toll free order number is 1-800-251-7839.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How tight is tight? That wheat light you have ain't cheap to replace either. If you do not mind parting with it you could sell the charger if it works for around 50 to 100 dollars depending on shape and age. But if it has a good 5800 style wheat koehler head on it and the cord is not frayed and in decent shape you got one hell of a start over us. Those old heads were the rolls royce of heads and this crap they sell today just don't compare. I mean Adcons are affordable but they are not like the old ones. Just solder a 1/4 inch L-plug on it from radio shack for 3 bucks and put the high heat bulb socket and diamond reflector in the head piece for another 15 or so. You can buy just battery packs from most major vendors that make lights and get the standard charger to save money. Yes they are not as convenient as smart chargers but they work and we are working on a budget here. I think if you did this you could get a higher voltage light in the mid 100's. But the kitten cooner is a great light but many other vendors offer smaller and longer burning lights for the around the 100 dollar mark. Check out those little orange k-lights and Valley creek sell them also i think 85 bucks. Good luck and I wish you well.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm 
IP:
I use a 3 cell LED maglight that I got at Walmart. It's obviously not as bright as some of the more expensive lights but I seem to always be able to find the coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am currently using a frankenstein light. My grandpa left me a 20 year old 4volt Wheat by Koehler with a wet cell battery. It still worked fine but I needed more light and a longer burn. I've heard the 5200 wheat head it as good as they come, so I had a guy rig up a 6 volt lead acid battery to a rheostat switch. Presto!! My very own hot light for much less than a new one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:27 pm 
IP:
I would shy away from any Nite Lite branded lights because from my own experience they are worthless and the company could care less about their customers or the quality of their lights! I recently bought their new 28 volt belt light extreme and it was so cheaply made the thing came apart before I could even hit the timber with it. And then they overcharged my bank account for this light two weeks ago and I have yet to be reimbursed! And a $220 hit right before Christmas is a HUGE deal for my Families Christmas but do they care?......obviously NOT! I would recomend Bandit lights as I have always had nothing but good luck and friendly customer service! They also have lower voltage more affordable lights!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Not to start a riot with the Bandit light followers but I have dealt with Basil many times and I find he is unpleasant to talk to. He is very knowledgable about building lights yes but there is no need to down right bash every body else in the light making industry. He went as far as to tell me that my dominator bright eyes was the junkiest light on the market and I should buy his light cause I could go scuba diving with it on. Well I am no electrician but I have had at least one light from every major coon light company and I assure you none of them are meant for scuba diving. I personally would do business with cajun, blazer, bright eyes, or K-light. They will tell you about there product and not go bad mouthing. I believe any of these lights will make you a satisfied coon hunter. As for nite lite I have had there hot lights and I will bet there are more ten year old hot lights that work than any of the big voltage lights. I am not familiar with there new extrme lights but I am sure they stand behind there products. I am sorry for your overcharge and I know how christmas season is on everybody. But I am sure they did not do it on purpose and will return your money but we have to be patient in the season's madness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am never doing business with Huntsmart.com again. I've had nothing but trouble with my orders. The products themselves are fine but the workers aparently do not care. My first package arrived (I actually had to drive an hour to pick it up from a UPS store after paying for 2nd day air) with my credit card number where my address was supposed to be. Right there on the box for all to see!! Not to mention I ordered some collars and nametags that are still not correct after almost two months.

Post subject: lights
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:56 pm 
IP:
man i have to agree on the hot light i have had mine since i was 19 years old bill tinnin here in mississippi fixed it up for me and it still works to this day and im 32 years old, i blew 2 bulbs in it in 13 years and i finally got a bandit light which i love,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:42 pm 
IP:
I'm not saying that the hot light isnt a decent light as I too know people who swear by their "old" hot lights but my experience with Nite Lite has been a nightmare and I will NEVER do business with them again due to the way they handled the issues I had with the belt light i bought from them. Regardless of any excuse you can come up with about this being a hectic time of year or whatever I was done wrong and as a customer I believe I deserve more! I deal with quality issues and customer satisfaction every day at my business and if I treated my customers the way Nite Lite treated me I would be out of business in no time! Maybe they should have just stuck with building the hot light style of box lights.

Post subject: lights
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:53 am 
IP:
i agree with ya on bein done wrong i dont beleive that i would do bussiness with them again either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

FullCryWalker wrote:
I would shy away from any Nite Lite branded lights because from my own experience they are worthless and the company could care less about their customers or the quality of their lights! I recently bought their new 28 volt belt light extreme and it was so cheaply made the thing came apart before I could even hit the timber with it. And then they overcharged my bank account for this light two weeks ago and I have yet to be reimbursed! And a $220 hit right before Christmas is a HUGE deal for my Families Christmas but do they care?......obviously NOT! I would recomend Bandit lights as I have always had nothing but good luck and friendly customer service! They also have lower voltage more affordable lights!

I have to throw the B.S. flag on your post. I have looked this light over from top to bottom and can't find one single way it can "come apart". Tell the whole story. If Bandit lights are so good, why did you even buy a Nite Lite? By the way, just so you know, your signature could very easily get you sued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have to agree that the old hot lights are some of the best made . but the ones made for the last few years are JUNK !! check out the moonshiner lights great product and one of the best people that you can find , belt lights from 15 to 28 volt and the box lights check this one out you won't be disapponted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 pm 
IP:
coleman wrote:
FullCryWalker wrote:

I have to throw the B.S. flag on your post. I have looked this light over from top to bottom and can't find one single way it can "come apart". Tell the whole story. If Bandit lights are so good, why did you even buy a Nite Lite? By the way, just so you know, your signature could very easily get you sued.

You can throw up whatever flag you want and trust me you HAVE NOT looked well enough or at the wrong light all together (28 volt belt light extreme) because even the Lady at Nite Lite told me they had issues with the stitching that holds this P.O.S. together so dont tell me what I know. And I bought the Nite Lite because of the new smart box that they have on it to help stop bulbs from blowing so easily on the higher voltage lights and I will say the 2 time I did take it into the woods the smartbox feature was awesome and I would love to see other manufacturers use this but thus far Nite Lite is the only one. And I do still use a Bandit. Until you actually have one in front of you or have used one dont tell me I I didnt tell the whole story Coleman. I have picture if you would like me to enlighten you and as far as my signature goes..........I am entitled to my opinion and could care less if you or anyone else dissagrees with me, thats one of the things about this country that we as Americans can enjoy.........FREEDOM OF SPEECH! Dont bring your hippy liberalism my way Coleman!

Post subject: budget light
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I make my head lights out of cordless tool flashlights. when your battery goes dead just pop it out and put in a new one. I usually get 4-5 hours of burn time per battery. If you already have the tools you can build it for under $10.