CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: COON BLOCKS RECIPIE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have experiminted a lot and have came up with a great replacement for molasses that works great. you can buy it or make your on. SNOW CONE SYRUP. to make it boil 2qt. sugar with 1qt. water and 4Tbls. salt tell it starts boiling really good and hard then mix in 4 packs grape kool-aid, stir and let cool and u have syrup. then take the syrup and boil it again with 1qt. sugar tell when drops of it put in cold water form a hard ball almost like glass. then add 1Tbls. of peanut butter and 1Tbls. of vanella extract and only 1qt. of dry mix such as dog food, corn, dry molasses or anything like that but only 1qt. all together or the block want harden right. let it cool down anouph to put in plastic container sprayd with pam no stick spray then when its mooshy anouph to hold one straight up and not let it fall, add your bolt or screw or what ever then it dont take much longer and it will be hard as a brick and ready to use. works great, taste great, and lasts a long time.
p.s. any syrup such as pankake syrup works too. SUGAR is what makes the block hard. so the more you got the harder it will be. :D

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

also i THINK them squirrle blocks they sail is nothing more than light corn syrup which is basicly just sugar and water boild like i rote about above, and peanut butter and cracked corn. i made some of them and the squirles and dear seem to like them really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:32 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds easy any pics of the finished product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

no i dont have a digital camera, im no good with any of that technolagy stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

With the screw in the back of these blocks. Do you have to put a wood backing of some sort on it or is this stuff tough enough to use just the screw or lag bolt.
Thanks, Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

to be honest i havent tryed one with a screw i just make a small hook with a clothes hanger and stick that in it. then hang it from a sterdy limb so its about 16'' or so from the ground. drives em crazy they will swing and fall all over the place trying to eat on them things.

Post subject: recipe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How much will this make? Thanks

Post subject: My Blocks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I made my own syrup with the kool-aid paks and took my about 2 hours to do it takes the longest leting it get candy like but all i did was follow Corbin Direcions and this how it turn out and this is just one bach and i taking to the woods now and i let u know what i feel about it in a couple weeks

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I must have done something wrong. It didn't set up. It is a purple gooey mess. lol

Any ideas? I might try and cook it some more and add more sugar :?:

Post subject: coon blocks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm 
IP:
the first one i tried i used the recipe to make your own syrup. it looked good but did not set up all the way, but was usable. we made another one last night using the snow cone syrup (2 bottles grape flavor) This was much easier than making your own syrup. we let it boil on med-high until the drops turned hard when dropped in cold water, approximately 25 min. after adding the peanut butter,vanilla flav. and cracked corn we let it cool in the cooker until it got very sticky. we then put it in a easter basket sprayed with pam. this morning it looks perfect and did set up very hard. i will add pics this evening.

Post subject: coon block
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:24 pm 
IP:
in my opinion some tips to remember is let the syrup cook until it turns into a small round ball when dropped in cold water. then let it cool until it gets very sticky before putting it into your container. this will prevent the all of the corn from coming to the top therefore keeping the bottom from becoming all gooey with no corn on the bottom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:19 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Where do you get snow cone syrup? Is the peanut butter and vanilla just for flavor, or does it help the block set up? If you use corn syrup, do you just boil it with a quart of sugar, or does it need water too? I'm about to have ALOT of time on my hands and I want to try to make some of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i am going to try it the wife hates when i do stuff like this in the house LOL !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I was gonna cruise out to the flea market this weekend and get some cheap pots and pans and try to cook it over the turkey fryer burner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

:shock: we got smoke :shock: watch when you add kool aid it boils over
i think next time i will use corn if i do it in the house made the wife sick when i put the dog food and candy together