CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 am 
IP:
She runs when you shock her? Does she know the command "come?" Are you giving that command before you shock her? If you're not then she wouldn't know why she was getting shocked, I would think. If I didn't know why I was suddenly in pain I'd run too.
My dog is a tree-climber if he's at the tree too long, especially if I'm there whooping and encouraging him to tree. If he climbs I pull him down everytime as fast as I can, since climbing can get real dangerous (imagine a dog fighting a coon IN a tree, that'd be ugly).

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i think a smack on the head once you have got her down and she starts back up tie her to the ground and let her tree on the ground then pet her up.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think you may have your collar turned up too high. I have been using the e-collar for basic comands and all I look for is a head shake or ear twitch or something, that tells me they are feeling it. Thats all they need. I think you may have to sort of start back at square one with the collar, figure out the lowest level she feels. Use simple commands when using the collar, don't yell and scream. This just tells her that you are mad and something is pinching her on the neck. This confuses her and thus the running off. Good luck and keep it simple.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

well my collar runs from level 1-10 and i put the collar on 4 and none of my other dogs hardly feel it. she is just a little timid. but i think from now on i will drag her out of the tree and tie her to it so she cant climb it. hopefully this works. thanx guys for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:53 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i agree with mtb&tkira, every dog has a different tollerance to the collars, level four on my e collar pert near drops my dog to the ground. like mtb&tkira was sayin u just want it so they can feel it, but dont drop them, i only shocked my dog on the highest level once, that was the first deer she chased. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:03 pm 
IP:
I've got levels 1-6 on my system. I usually use 2 and get good results. I only use level 3 when the dog is real bad, or once when I was doing some porcupine breaking. Use the lowest level possible, whatever catches the dog's attention... it's like swatting the dog versus punching the dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hope you can figure it out, dogs climbing trees can turn bad real fast. You'll end up packing her out of the woods sooner or later. Good luck with it, I think you should focus your attention at how you deal with her at the tree.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

thanx guys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

GOOD LUCK! You would swear they are cats ,aint it. some of the best dogs i had really climbed like 25 feet. Got my bell rung,saw stars more than once from em falling on me.Haven someone along helps alot makes my wife freak out though.Maybe someone has idea,i might learn somthing to..... GOOD THING I AM PART MONKEY!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

will not feed a climber to much risk.been their done that.jmo

Post subject: climber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i was wondering anyone has cut dew claws off and it stoped there dog from climbing? ive got a nice young dog but he is like a cat at the tree i even got to him tonite and he was on the second rail up in a barn and the rails were 7 ft apart as he started climbing to the third rail he fell out and luckily just knocked himself out but was ok

Post subject: Re: climber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

a dogs dew claws are for holding game,not for climbing.
about the only thing you can do is keep all its toe nails cut down to nothing all the time or have them removed off the front feet like you would a cat. and then they still may try to climb, especially on a leaning tree.