CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: hunt the dog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The pup is five months old, yes he could hunt him by himself, but hunting him with a GOOD coon dog early on will help him learn GOOD habits. When he starts showing more interest and trees with the other dogs, then I would start hunting him by himself.

My one year old Grizzly pup showed off last night! She struck with the other dogs went right as they went left. She trailed for about 10 minutes moving it pretty good and gave a good locate and hammered on the tree! She had the coon! Well the other dogs treed and before we got to them she treed another one and had the meat!

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

pup did good last night. i think my older dog scared him when he struck cause the pup was hesitant to follow him. it only took 3 to 5 minutes before he treed. had 3 coons up the tree. the pup got up on the tree and smelling everywhere. he winned some but only barked once.
those are the fun hunts, when everything happens just right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

is grizzly a walker or english dog? what is the difference in english and walker. in pictures about the only difference i see is color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Nope, but i havent seen too many walkers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Clear Run Grizzly is a walker PKC super stakes sire.

Keep hunting your pup and it will catch on!

:)

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have done a couple drags but my pup hasn't trailed the scent trail. She runs around after she gets one whiff of the scent on the ground and ends up getting down wind of the drag in the tree and goes straight to tree and trees hard. Not sure why she won't trail the scent.
I have a livetrap set. And if I get a coon I'm going to show my pup a live coon for the first time. If she's interested and excited how do I go about letting the coon go so the pup can run it?

Do I let the coon out so the pup can see it run away and let her lose so she chases it?

Do I take pup out of sight of the trap, go back let coon out and then let her loose and see if she will trail it?

Do I let coon out while pup is excited and let coon get out of sight and then let pup loose?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Pups will go from cold nose to hat nose and back a few times before they start to mature. I wouldn't worry about her going down wind and cold nosing back to it. Lots of people like cold nosed dogs.

I would not let a pup fight with a coon. They could get hurt and really lose interest or not track. Leave it in the cage let her get excited. Some of them don't get excited but don't let that discourage you. After she's had her fill of playing with it let it go with her tied up so that it runs max 100 yards and trees. Let her see it run up the tree then cut her loose. pet her up good the whole time. If you can shoot it down after she trees and let her chew on it then. That's just my 2 cents other will tell you different.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I thought cold nose was where they followed a cold track until it got hot? She smells the drag with more scent than the little bit on the ground. so wouldn't that make her hot nose?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

From what I have seen the dogs that really turn out great never really bark at a drag because it smells like a coon. For one the coon sent smells nothing like a coon. So a pup is just running a track of something that smells different. If they tree it's more than likely there treeing by sight. I've found it is a better option to use a reward system such as bacon for a drag. Lay a track down the same way. And hang the bacon just out of reach the 1st time. Once they work the track to the tree and stand up on it rip a piece of and give it to them. Most of the time a taste or two will get them treeing. This teaches them to work a track and reinforces that barking up at the end of a track on a tree is a good thing. Most pups run the track silent but will tree at the end for the reward. A pup is a sponge it is best to get them to the woods as soon as possible. It's better to have them in the woods and make mistakes and learn from them than to keep them out of the woods till they "mature". By this time you have missed the learning window. Once they mature they are much more set in there ways of how they want to do things. There are so many things you can show and teach a pup in a fun way to them that lays the ground work for future real training. The main thing is to keep it fun you will not "Burn" out a dog because you took it to the woods too early.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with Rebecca! We call a cold nose a dog that runs by smelling the coon in the wind not just the track. Said differently a dog that tracks using very little scent. A hot nose dog is one that needs a fresh track to run and will run right on the track. Lots of times cold nose dogs can't run a hot track real fast because it's too much scent for them to figure out. But they're nice for finding coons that haven't come out of the tree in a while. Generally the strike sooner too.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have two young 4-1/2 month old Black and Tan Hounds that Are Brother And Sister . I started them on a Drag At 3 Months When I Got them After Seeing How Much Aggression They Showed While Teasing Them With It . At 4 Months I Trapped A Coon And Had In A Cage I Took Him Out On A Lead And Let Him Climb A Tree Close By .
Now Mind You There's No Where I Cant Run The Drag Where They Cant Find It . No Matter How Far I Take It . But When I Let The Live Coon Out They Never Picked Up The Scent And Ran Passed Him 3 times I Let The Coon Free Today And He Ran Maybe 20 Yard Before Going Up A Tree I turned Them Lose Just To See If They Would Find Him And They Smelled Where He Went Up But Never Barked , But With The Drag They Will Bark Treed Till I Get There . I Spend Time With These Dogs Every Day Either Just Playing With Them Or Trying To Train Them . Do I Need To Stop The Drag ? When That Coon Was In The Cage They Never Payed Him No Mind They Would Try To Eat The Food That He Would Kick Out The Hole Time The Coon Would Try And Jump At Them .Any Advice Would Be Grateful . p.s they have been treeing the drag not by sight but smell cause theres times i will do it in complete night time also ill run the drag up then take it and place in zip lock bag then turn them lose so i know its not just sight there barking tree on .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I'm no expert. But I've been reading Walk with Wick. And he says not to start pups on a live coon until they are 8 months. But there are early starters.
What are you using for a drag? If your using a training scent, that doesn't smell like the real thing. My opinion is that you need to stop using the drag. And you need to wait on using a live coon. It sounds like your pups aren't ready yet. When they are ready they will want to fight the caged coon. Plus if you can borrow a older dog to show the pups what they are supposed to do.
My 5 month old will tree like crazy too on training scent but I've stopped using it. She won't see a live coon until spring which she will be at least 9 months old. I know she's not ready now to see a live coon because she's still a little shy and I don't want to ruin her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I completely agree on the live coon i really just wanted it around to give them the idea of the scent i did in fact turn it lose yesterday . i have took them hunting 2 times and the second time they seem to go a little further out with the older dog as for the scent drag i do use a tanned hide with the nite-lite brand trail scent . if you think its best to stop then i would consider that . now how much is too much time spent with them like this morning when i got off work i took them too the woods and the male treed a squirrel but i didn't find it and this evening when i took them they just wanted to play . so i let them be kids as i view they are but i still want the actively learning i know winter is coming and by spring i think they will start showing a little more im being very open minded with them i just dont want to over kill them so young i guess the reason i started them so young was they really show they love looking for that drag i mean when they see me head to the wood they start just losing control and when i turn them lose there gone till they tree . i must get the book you were talking about . sounds like a good read .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can't and won't tell you how to train for pups. Everyone will tell you something different. You take all the advice you get and make your own decisions. That's what I'm doing with my pup. If I thought mine was ready to hunt I probably would hunt her. But I don't think she is. I do know that training scent smells a lot stronger than the real thing.

I've been taking my pup to the woods during the day just about every other day. It's great for training obedience and exercise plus shows them there are lots of different smells in the woods. Today my pup got over 100 yards away from me for the first time the only thing was she went back to the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Lol well she must have been tired . i will continue to work with them slowly a little at a time im thinking i will cut way back on the scent and see what happens that coon that i let go has been up the same tree for three days now lol i can see him from my house .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next