CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Underground Fence
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 3 acres and 3 dogs at my house. I would like to put some kind of a fence up and can't decide whether to put up chain link or an underground fence. I can only fence in about 1 1/2 acres. I would like to put an underground fence b/c of it being easier, dont have to open gates for lawnmower and mainly b/c I have people walk through my property and if they see a dog with no visible fence, I dont think they will come anymore. What are the pro's and con's of these shock fences? Thanks for the help. Craig

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:02 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

dont know bout the underground fence but my hound will jump a 6' chain link fence no prob, she can be an exscape artist though. she just jumps and gets her front legs over the top, does a pull up and is off, so we stick to the chain most times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We have one at my house. I really like it and it works well once the dogs get used to it. The only cons i could see is the directions say not to leave it on a dog for over 24 hrs or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:25 pm 
IP:
Hehe, my mom told me a story about her neighbor's dog and the underground fence. That dog would get one heckuva running start and would barrell through the fence line, yelping when he crossed it. It was worth the shock to get free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:
Hehe, my mom told me a story about her neighbor's dog and the underground fence. That dog would get one heckuva running start and would barrell through the fence line, yelping when he crossed it. It was worth the shock to get free!

Hounds can bust through the underground fences. They are good for when you are with them, but don't leave them unattended. Trust me, I know.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i've had an innotek system for bout 10yrs. works great. my male dog would go through when there was something in heat. got him fixed and no problems

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the shock only last a few feet on a underground fence but the wireless ones sind a signal out from the midde and once they get out of that circle they get shock till the get back in it from what i understand....if i had enough room thats what I wuld have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would go with the sonic one if i was you but cuz over time i would think the underground wire would start to deteirate after a whyle but thats my 2 cents

'PR' KlearWater Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
IP:
we have the wireless one. It works on our terrier and scotty. Batteries on the collar need replaced every 2-4 months though.

easier than the underground to install. Plug in turn on. Put collar around dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we have had two black labs with our underground fence. the first one did wonderful with the fence but the second one would run through it so we got what they call a stubborn dog collar that solved the problem she ran into it two or three times and now we don't even have to put the collar on her and she stays in the yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My folks have used the underground fence for about 10 or so years with only one problem My brother has a blood hound that will "look" for a way out walking around the perimeter until she wears the battery down, when it stops beeping she walks right through. I dont think she is smart enough to know what she is doing but it works for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The wire is just not regular wire but burial wire. It has a 10 year warranty on it but it will not break down even then. The coat is made from 3 layers.

Training is the biggest thing when using that kind of fence and so is brand. Most are not strong enough or have enough ways to change setting.

When a dog runs through it is because of 2 factors lack of training and the system not ebing strong enough.

The only brands to get are Pet Stop and if you go on Ebay they have another one that is built by Pet Stop but not branded by them. If you want to know that brand name I may be able to find out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buckshot wrote:

My opinion, if you value your dogs, don't waste your money.

Years ago, a guy I knew had 2 Weimaraners on an ungerground fence. I asked if he valued his dogs, he said yes. I then asked him if he valued his dogs then why did he depend on an underground fence for keeping them in the fenceless yard. He said he wasn't worried.

Let's say there was an power outage and he had 2 dead Weimaraner killed on the road.

I installed one years ago inside an already fenced in yard to keep my lab contained to a section of the yard. I even had the stubborn dog collar on him as well as very large warning section......didn't phase him, he still just walked through it. The shock collar didn'tr phase him.

Ask yourself this.............do you think an invisible force field is gonna stop a hunting dog if they see or smell something that they want?

Then ask yourself if you value your dogs?

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Underground Fence
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have a 4 ft chain link fence here that my English would jump like it was nothing. Wove the "invisible" fence in it across the bottom and back across the top and he hasn't been out since. I think it helps if they have a visual barrier also.

My brothers Lab goes right through his however (just the underground wire with no visable fence) and will stand on the other side and bark until someone comes out to turn the fence off...

Post subject: Re: Underground Fence
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i got a wireless system had it for 3 years live on 40 acres 3 blue dogs and one blu rotty mix i value my dogs more than your life! DON'T take that the wrong way. Train your dogs. there is a three day battery back up on the box so if the power goes out over night no worry's works for me but i'm not every one. Collar battery's get changed the first day of the month for no worry's the boy's ran a coon through the back yard one night from the corn feild they came in but would not leave the boundry on the other side. i laughed when i had to walk them through it. that old coon made about 5 minutes on em with that trick