CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I was wanting to know how you guys move the coon from the trap to the roll cage. I butt the two up against each other and open the doors and let the coon run in the roll cage, But Its always a little harry and you have to move fast. So I was just thinking there has to be a better way than the way I am doing it. So let me know how you guys do it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

you can take a old coat, jacket blanket etc and put it over the cage you want the coon to go in makeing it dark. they will usually ease right on in the dark place real easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you can get one of them hog catchers, they got a handle on one end with a thing you can pull on and on the other it has a peice of cable you put around their neck then pull it tight and you never have to touch them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:30 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I think that PiedPiper makes one of those deals that Ringtail-Hunter is talking about.

However, you could make one yourself with some PVC pipe and rope. I'd go for the cable though.

Cut 5 feet of PVC pipe, and slide the rope through. Then, slide the rope back through, it should look like a hangman's noose without the rings. There are now 2 ends sticking out one end with a loop on the business end. You pull the 2 ends and that tightens the loop around the critters neck. I taped the 2 ends of mine together just to get some hassle out of the way.

So tip the trap so that the door is pointing up, and reach down to get it around the coons neck. It may take you awhile, coons do have hands.

If you leave the trap laying horizontal, the coon will run out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks guys for the info. I like the pvc trick that sounds like it might work. What size pvc do you use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

No problem.

The pipe I use is 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:40 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i pretty much do the same thing as ginava. my "catch" pole was homeade by my great grandpa, but it works just fine. but most of the time after i catch em i dont put them directly in the role cage, i give em a day or 2. i have a pen that i built that resembles a rabbit hutch, just bigger. i open the trap door and store in that pen till the get calmed down a bit. then the next day i sneak in real quiet like and slip the noose round the ole neck. then the real fight begins lol cause i dont think that they fanncy bein grabbed like that 2 much lol. good luck and try not 2 get tore up more than the dogs lol

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:37 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

One method I enjoy using is, sit the roll cage upright and then open the door on the live trap, holding it straight up and down, then prod at the little cuss until he walks down into the roll cage. Something else I do just to make things interesting, I like to get my fingers too close to the cage. lol Yeah, I had one bite through my finger nail last year, and eveyone else thought it was hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

be careful with the hog catcher, because if that coon can get his front paw in the noose with his head he may slip out and you may be the one doin the fighting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm 
IP:
man you dont need no catch pole just open the door to the roll cage and put it close to the trap open the trap door and push the roll cage agistain the trap the coon should go into the roll cage if not give the trap a kick or two to get it itno the roll cage and if you wanta put him back in the trap just do the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah be careful was turnin a coon loose for a hot chase once.Coon chased my buddy about 50 yards.And he had a broom stick right when the coon was gonna catch him he took a hail mary swing hitting the coon sending it away.Was laughing so hard I forgot to turn my hound loose until it was over.