CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:31 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

June 26, 2008

Garmin® Introduces New and Improved Astro® GPS Dog Tracking Collar
OLATHE, Kan./June 26, 2008/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the DC™ 30, a completely redesigned GPS dog tracking collar for use with the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System. The new collar is more rugged and its antennas are positioned differently for optimal tracking.

“The new DC 30 collar is designed to stand up to the torturous abuse of hunting dogs. Whether it’s hounds crashing through thick and swampy woods, or bird dogs bounding through dense CRP fields, the DC 30 is made to take the beating that working dogs dish out daily,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “And the new configuration also makes mounting the collar a cinch – while improving reception.”

The DC 30 collar’s main housing is weighted to sit below the dog’s neck, while a small, low-profile GPS antenna is integrated into the collar strap and positioned on top of the dog’s neck, providing a clear view of satellites with minimal rotation. The transmitter antenna originates from the lower housing, and has been redesigned for more flexibility and ruggedness. No counterbalance or harness is needed. The weight for the transmitter plus antenna is 4.1 ounces, and the entire DC 30 weighs just 8.7 ounces.

Used in conjunction with the Astro 220 receiver, the system pinpoints exactly where your dog is and what he’s doing – running, pointing, or treeing – even in dense cover, up to seven miles away, depending on terrain.

The Astro GPS Dog Tracking System requires very little configuration straight out of the box, and is extremely simple to use. Once the transmitter and receiver acquire a GPS signal, the receiver automatically lets users know the location of their dog. Unlike old radio telemetry collars, the Astro features a dog page that shows the precise direction and distance to a dog – even indicating if it is running, on point, or treeing quarry – and does it all without the annoyance of beeper collars. Unlike cellular tracking systems, there are no subscriptions or setup fees required to use the device.

Astro can track up to ten dogs per receiver at once, and the collar gives location updates every five, 10, or 30 seconds (user selectable). Battery life is 17-36 hours (based on update rate) on the rechargeable DC 30 collar and 24 hours on the Astro 220 receiver, which is powered by two AA batteries. Both the DC 30 collar and the Astro 220 receiver are completely waterproof.

The Astro also has a map page to illustrate where a dog is and where it has been – in relation to the hunter – and allows hunters to determine if they have covered nearby ground. Garmin’s unique Covey Counter™ lets hunters mark the precise location, time of day, and elevation where they encountered their quarry – and users can easily note the number of birds flushed and how many were taken. The Astro also comes packed with new hunting-specific icons, to easily mark and identify bird flushes, treed raccoons, food plots, tree stands, cover, ATVs, and other outdoor-related features.

Besides being a state-of-the-art dog tracking device, the Astro is also a full-featured handheld GPS based on the GPSMAP® 60CSx, with a sunlight-readable color display and a highly sensitive GPS receiver that works even under a thick tree canopy or in deep canyons. So when the hunting season is over, the Astro can pull double-duty for hiking, boating, or car trips.

The Astro has a microSD card slot that allows users to insert optional pre-programmed topo maps or road maps, which can be invaluable in an unfamiliar area. Topo maps give hunters an idea of the most productive areas to hunt, while road maps feature the same basic functions as an automotive GPS navigation unit – even in rural areas. The optional road map data can also give turn-by-turn directions to motels, gas stations, restaurants, and even veterinarians.

The Astro also calculates area, which is ideal for determining the acreage of a piece of property or the exact size of a food plot. The unit has location-specific sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset tables (ideal for determining legal hunting hours) and a hunting and fishing calendar that suggests the best times to be out in the field.

The new DC 30 collar is included as part of the Astro GPS Dog Tracking system, which also contains an Astro 220 receiver, user’s manual, power/data cables, Trip & Waypoint Manager CD, and a carrying case for a suggested retail price of $649.99. The DC 30 tracking collar sold separately is $199.99. The DC 30 collar is compatible with current Astro GPS Dog Tracking Systems as well. For current Astro DC20 owners wishing to upgrade to the DC 30, Garmin is offering a $50.00 rebate for a limited time only.

Garmin has also developed a new Astro portable long range antenna, sold separately. The accessory is designed to increase the range of the hunter’s handheld receiver, by up to three miles. When a dog travels outside the Astro’s range, the antenna can be lengthened to over a meter and attached directly to the Astro 220 via a one-meter coaxial cable. The antenna features a molded handle and lanyard, and measures just a quarter meter long when stored – small enough to be carried in a hunting vest when not in use. The handheld antenna has a list price of $69.99.

The DC 30 is expected to be available in third quarter 2008. For more details and an interactive demo of the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System, visit www.garmin.com/astro.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15512

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

cool. As soon as someone gets one do some tests and ket us know how the range is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

50 bucks for used DC 20's towards DC 30. It's good to be the garmin. Wonder if they let folks know the upgraded collar was coming if they asked when they were buying the DC 20's recently- glad I waited. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dang i just bought another bracket and antenna. gonna get one come payday! happy to see the upgrade

see they got a new handheld antenna! sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul, that is the exact reason I do not buy first generation gadgets.

I was talking with two people on the phone in the last week and they told me they were going to be buying one the Garmin systems. I told them that if it was me, I'd hold out a couple months as Garmin was suppose to be releasing the 2nd generation systems with a newly designed collar.

I told them I would hate for them to buy the system in the next few days and then Garmin release their new system within a matter of weeks.

Which is what is happening now. Hope they took my advise.

I feel bad for the guys who bought the 1st generation systems and who basically did the REAL FIELD TESTING for Garmin and stuck only getting $50 rebate on the collars. Cause had Garmin actually field tested them coon hunting, they would have seen from the start that their collars were designed for bird dogs not hounds.

But then again, you take your chances when you buy the latest 1st generation toy as bugs are bound to be found and future systems upgraded to fix those bugs.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i kinda regret buying the first gen, but then again i don't. i got a heck of a lot of good use out of mine.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-hand ... tenna.html here is the link to the handheld antenna. review says its better than the rooftop antenna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Is the handheld reciever the same, and they only upgraded the collars? Or is it improved as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah its the same you can run a dc 20 and a dc 30 at the same time the handheld unit doesn't know the difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Buckshot, we have 8-10 handheld units and about 12-14 DC 20 collars in our group. I held out and tried to get others to pool thier money- buy 3 or 4 units and collars and switch them from hound to hound, week to week until we saw how this shook out. Nope we had to em. They did come in handy several times over this past winter though. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i bought one a month ago and no one told me a new collar was coming out untill i sent it back last week and told them the collar wasnt woth a flip they told me at that time a new one was coming out . guess ill buy another one in a month or so see if it is any better, if not it will go right back too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

god i am so mad right now for making my mom spend all that money on that system w/ 3 transmitters and 2 transmitters are now un-useable after only one night in the woods! it really saddens me that she did that for me and i get barely 1 nights worth of use out of it! i almost lost my bluetick, Gunner because his antena got ripped off before i could find him and he was already a mile away at that point! thank goodness he knew his way home.
i love the idea with the GPS its great for tracking dogs and it keeps me from getting lost too! but the quality of the design on the damn DC 20 transmitters is total crap!!!
i wish i had found out about the upgrade sooner! i would've just borrowed my buddy's Tracker Maxima for a while until the new system came out.

CH'PR'MISSISSIPPI QUEEN TREEIN MEME
CH'PR'SWAMPMUSIC BLOOD SLINGING HOSS
'PR'RAPPAHANOCK JIGSAW BLADE
'PR'BREAKING DAWN JASPER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

anyone ordered one and actually recieved it yet, i ordered mine june 26 and still haven't got it, i've tried calling garmin several times and they say it's going to be a 45 minute wait before i can talk to anybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:32 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I heard they delayed it again to sometime in Aug.

Never a good feeling when a product keeps being delayed.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well that sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:53 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new latest release date have seen was Valley Creek saying Aug. 7th.

Profile  WWW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next