CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hunting Time?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have searched around a little bit, and found no dicussions on this recently, but if there is already please point me in the right direction. What is everyone's preference on hunting time. Right after dark, later at night, early morning? We have been going out about an hour after dark, and doing pretty well until last night. It was very clear out and the moon was particuarly bright. That brings me to another question, is the superstition of not hunting on a full moon only because they will not likely look at your light, or is there some other old school reason? Thanks for all the advice.
Nick

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i prefer hunting right after dark but coons move at different times really no particular time that they move but the draw back on hunting on a full moon i have always heard and seems to be true that coons can find holes in the ground or den trees better on a real light nite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:32 am 
IP:
Go to the general forum and look at the topic named the moon i posted it and have gotten various replys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

all coons move at different times some early some late we normally go right after dark and stay out till twelve or one. and about the moon the other night when it was bright and full it was hard for us to get em to look at us to . i just think it's cause the moons so bright.

SMOKIN HOT CHLOIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have been going out an hour after dark, and over the first 4 or 5 nights of the season, got 9 coons. We did not stay out very long, no more than an hour really. Since then, over the last week, we have had nothing. We have run the same dog almost every night, and for several hours, and he has hit on nothing. It has been very bright, several nights not even requiring a light unless in deep brush. Every once in a while he hits on a trail, trees, doubles back to check and then leaves it, like it is a really cold trail and he decides to look for something else. We have gone several different places, all where we got coons the first week. Any suggestions? Something we are doing wrong, the dog doing wrong? This is just a fun hobby, but coming home with a skin sure makes it more enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

We turn loose right at dark, mainly because my hunting partner and I both have daytime jobs and by turning loose early we either get done early and get in bed at normal time or if we do get into something odd we're not out all hours of the night- it looks like, however, I'm about to have time on my hands for alot more all-nighters.

As far as your question about your dog acting funny in spots he did well at before, are you sure you're the only person hunting those spots? I ran into that a few years ago and it turned out I was getting there after another guy had already been there (trespassing) and was running the same track he had already ran earlier in the night. I got there right at dark and caught him and put a stop to it. That creek has since dried up (like most of my spots) and nobody hunts it now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm just getting started coon hunting and i'm hunting in pretty thin coons and i'm tunring out at about 7 and she is not treein many coons. i know it's a tough time right now to see coons just wanting a little input and knowledge from guys that know a lot more than i do. thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Hunting Time?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

some coons dont even bother getting out some nights, not every coons goes looking for a meal each night. and to coon are nocturnal, so they like it the darkest possible, not saying that they dont come out on fullmoon nights, because they do. sometimes on a moonlight night you could walk in some woods without a light lol, wouldnt try it though :shock:

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Last time I hunted on a full moon, I said I would never do it again. It was lie I couldnt get one to go up. they just ran forever. I started with my young dog so I thought he might be running trash. I went back and got my two older dogs and they all three did the same thing. Just ran forever

Post subject: Times to hunt guys!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey guys im a somewhat new coonhunter here in central Florida im wondering when you guys leave to go coon hunten?? we have recently had 28 to 30 degree nights and on warmer nights i actually leave around 5:30 and get to were i wanna turn em loose right at sundown but on cold nights iv been leaving later im not 100% which time frame is better?? they seem hit and miss sometimes but id love to hear anyone's recommendations!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

On a moonlit night coons will stay closer to their den trees because they don't feel safe because its so bright. you will hit a lot of den trees. Late season they will usually run regardless because they are rutting and wanting to breed. We went out last night about 7 with a full moon I am in Missouri and rut is in full swing. It was slow starting out and then the moon kinda skimmed over and we ended up putting up a big sow and then split on a smaller boar and a big boar. Early season I wouldn't bother running on a full moon but late I think its worth while. Full Moon is kinda like severe cold. they may hole up a few days but must come out and eat and drink every 3 days or so.

As far as times I usually hunt anywhere from dark on to 2 or 3 am depending on the night. I have heard of guys liking to hunt from 3 am to daylight but I have never tried it personally. Id say it doesn't really matter what time you run.