CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The coyotes have been making me real nervous this fall! I thought we're supposed to be relaxing & having fun?!! Do the bells or collar lights really keep them away? Any suggestions? THANKS!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know the bear hunters up in northern Wisconsin use them to deter wolves.I never heard of someone using them for coyotes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

we call them dinner bells for the coyotes.seen em work both ways............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:40 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

kickapoo wrote:
I know the bear hunters up in northern Wisconsin use them to deter wolves.I never heard of someone using them for coyotes.

i have bear hunted twice this year in northern wisconsin and have seen a couple guys that have bells on their hounds. like toe cutter says DEFINATELY a dinner bell. im not saying they wouldnt work right away, but either yotes or wolves after awhile figure out the sound of bells could be a free meal.

our group of dogs got surrounded by wolves and four of the six had bells. we luckily only had a couple get tore up before we got to them. we just happened to be close enough.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Down my way I put different size bells on every dog and have had no problems...............................So far turned out the other night not 5 min. I had 3 different packs of yotes start getting up around us never had a problem as a matter of fact never heard them again.But i do see whatcha mean about the dinner bell theory.But if it takes a cowbell to stop them well my "Shadow" will learn to get use to it.Good luck!

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I run on a pack of coyotes almost every time i go out hunting only a few times have I actually seen them though. It is my opinion that you shouldn't have anything to worry about with coyotes unless you happen to be hunting with Jack Russel Terriers or something small, but that is just my opinion. Someone else may have a different one. If it makes you feel better I would put a bell on your dog and hunt with a pal. I live in Southwest Wisconsin where in the past year there have been two wolves shot , so I may have to start thinking about the Buddie system myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bigger guns boys bigger guns.I used a bell on the dogs when i started hunting more so i could find them I have never had a yote come that close when out but when they get to loud at night my dogs get real close. when people around here started seeing mt. lions around here i started carrying a little more gun then just the old 22

Post subject: Do I hear bells
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 pm 
IP:
Bells....... No bells........ How many use bells on there dogs. I have been using bells for 2 years now and all I get is ridiculed about using them. I like to hear where the are when no ones barking.

what about lighted collars or reflective collars which do most prefer. I havent ever used one but am beeing forced to hunt by roads more and more and want people to see them, any info????

Post subject: Re: Do I hear bells
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:50 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

zebradunn wrote:

what about lighted collars or reflective collars which do most prefer. I havent ever used one but am beeing forced to hunt by roads more and more and want people to see them, any info????

http://www.coondawgs.com/reviews.html

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 am 
IP:
my dog has been attacked by a coyote before, i havent never put a bell on her collar but i put a tracker flash on her and havent had a problem since..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

since a lot of animals dont see red like we do so a red light should have no effect on them. there are wolves that live 1 mile away from my house in pine trees, we see them and see their tracks quite often during the winter. i have the tracker red flashing light on my collars so they have a good chance of being seen close to the road at night. i also have bells on both of my dogs because it makes them a heck of a lot easier to catch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i run tracker flashers on my two dogs.nice to keep up with in the woods and if get by a highway easy to see the dogs.very nice investment.

CO OWNED WITH DOUG NESTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm 
IP:
I hunt in wolf infested areas and use bells and lights. Even though I've never had a dog attacked, I don't think the bells have anything to do with it. The bells are for me so I know where they are when they're not talking. The lights are for the dog so they don't get hit on the road.

Wolves don't care about bells and lights when you get into their denning areas...In fact, I'm sure once the wolf decides it's time, I'm sure a bell would help it locate the dog too...