CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well last night started the same way the other ended. He went off barking but it did not sound right so I walked over toward him and yelled at him. I heard coons fighting in the other direction from were he was. He quit barking and took off toward the timber. While I was standing at the edge of the corn field I heard something coming out of the field from the direction of were the dog was last heard. So I turned on my light and here came a oposum walked ten feet from me into the timber.
Then he opened up along the edge of the field and work the 20 acre corn field up one row and down another for an hour and a half. He was working toward the road so I walked around to keep him off the road. Now I am on the other side of the field. He went down the length of the field 2 rows in, clear to one end and back and back again. Then he came out on the trail I was on, came to me, and started barking so I told him to leave. He went ten yards from me into the timber and was still barking he circled about 25 yards from me into the timber. Then the race was on he must have steped on him. He came out of the timber 20 yards from me running faster than I have ever seen a dog run barking every step It sounded like he was going to catch it on the ground. He took it the length of the corn field crossed the gravel road and treed hard, all in about a hundred yards. I went and looked and looked but it was a very big green tree and I could not find anything. It sure sounded like a coon to me it was not a deer and to fast for a oposum?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been running him alot He has been slow tracking and treeing in big green trees and I have not been able to see anything. So I got the old dog out with him last night and the pup struck first and treed first on two different drops both were quick. The first tree was a big oak and I could not see anything. The second was a small hedge and it had two coons in it. So I think he is coming along very well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 11 month old dog that will run a track and is learning how to tree. I have never ran him with another "coon dog" just his brother and a younger dog that I have. I take them to the woods at night just to let them get comfortable. This dog is showing a lot more drive than his brother so I have been hunting him on his own. My problem is he will not take off on his own like the other dogs on this post. If I walk him out to the woods he will strike and has ran coon over 200 - 300 yards and will tree them. I try to stay up with him to make sure he stays at the tree. He is getting better at no leaving the tree but he is still learning that part.

I have walked with him in the woods since he was 4 months old. I now feel that that might not have been a good thing to do as often because he depends on me to walk with him in the woods. When we first get to the woods he will take off and go about 50 yards make a circle then come back. If he doesnt stike one he depends on me to walk him into the woods. If I dont he will stay close smelling the air and he chews on leaves on the bushes and tall grass. Is it that he is still young and I just need to wait or is it my fault? This is the first dog that I have trained from a pup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yes, he has got use to you walking him. this time of year is kinda a rough time to get a dog as young as yours to bust the weeds and just fire off in there by hisself. he is just the right age for this kill season to get him hunting on his own harder.go to the search and try and find the topic thread on singling a dog out.its hard not to lose patients waiting on him to get bored with chewing leaves and dinkin around, but every time you break and start walkin him to get him a track,you step back to where you were and he wont gain anything from it as far as him going to look for a track alone.. once he strikes and starts movin the track, you can still ease in there close so you are in there for the tree...
11 months is young, so you should be able to work him into going to look harder with some age. the more he wants the coon,the more fired up he will be to go look for one.right now at his age you are his comfort and security in the dark woods at night. bout like trying to send a 7 year old child off alone.i would just slowly start backing off on walking him. then sitting and waiting him out more. get him in a good spot for coon and grab a seat.
when the corn crop gets up, he will find more coon closer.and when the green weeds are down,he will be able to go look without havin to deal with busting through the weeds and stuff. the end of october he will be at just the right age and with the green stuff gone you will see more of a drive to go looking.
*myself,i would leave him on the leash till i got to where the good coon spots are,like a nice little creek or where it looks like a good place for coon. somthin between where they sleep and where they eat.then turn him off the leash and sit down for a spell.by leaving him leashed when your walking in,he should learn that when you turn him loose off it, its time to hunt. insted of just you walking him around till he finds a track.if you work him like this now,then when the crops are down and its more easy going for him,you should be able to point him and cut him loose off the leash from the truck,down a fence row or creek to the woods. sounds to me you have done very well trainin him,first one or not.he is at the point that i would hope my young ones would be at 11 months old.alot of people expect way to much from a 11 month old puppy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have the exact same thing going on as u redbone wilk. its my first dog training since a pup too. ive heard that treeing is the hard part and trailing will come alot of times. but my dog has treed 10 coons now by himself but every single time i think its been a lay up cuz ill be walking with him and then he'll just all of a sudden get up on a tree and start treeing. and ive seen the coon up in the tree all 10 times. when hes in the woods the only thing he thinks about is coon thats for sure cuz ive seen him run up to a possum face to face with it and then he just turned without a care in the world what that thing was, ive seen deer that he didnt even look at either. only once did he open up on track and he went maybe a hundred yards and treed. one time i sat down by this creek for about 30 minutes i knew there were a bunch of coons running it and my dog kept going to my left about 75 yards and then hed come back. and he did this a bunch of times so finally i got up and walked down that way a little bit and i walked about 10 yards and my dog ran over to a tree and started treeing and sure enough there was the coon. so obviously my dog is so dependant on me, ive taken him with other dogs but he wont go with them but when they tree he'll go in there and go crazy treeing with them. i really need to figure out what to do to get my dog hunting without me. hes got the treeing part, now i need him to trail it without me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you for the help Toe Cutter. He for sure has the drive but I dont want to screw him up on my count. I will try what you said about walking him in on the chain. I have some corn fields by my house that I have not hunted because I never asked. I know corn is a honey hole for coons... should I put him in the corn now? Also when I do sit and wait for him to go off on his own what do I do if I wait for 30 - 45 mins and he doesnt go?

I really enjoy this dog because he is coming along good and I know what he can and cant do because I have been working him not someone else. Anything you can help me with to ensure I dont screw him up would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i was just wondering about my english 18 month old. he was not treein for awhile and tc helped out with thatbut now he aint doin reel good on movin a track! he actually struck first a time or two and has actually treed his own coon twice but his track running is not too great. water really screws him up pretty bad he moves the track most times just REALLY slow about it> so my question is are young dogs usually like this? im new to coon hunting so sorry if i sound like an idiot! lol

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try roading the dog some in front of the truck. forces them to cover ground and chance of hitting hot tracks. I have places I road dogs and places I park and sit why they hunt. Some times I will road the dog up to the hunting spot and then park and let them hunt. Other times I walk some. Dont like walk hunting young dogs as they tend to follow you and not go hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

BTT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is an interesting subject. Come on guys enter some new input!!!!!

The ole Plott man with 75 years experience and still learning

Post subject: when to hunt a dog alone
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

what does a dog need to be doing with other dogs to be able to do good or at least help the dog by hunting by its self.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

just my opinion but they should be running and somewhat treeing with other dogs before hunting them by their self but I also know people that only hunt a dog by its self before they will hunt with other dogs. they hunt them by their self by turning coons loose and then the dog out. Just depends on your prefrence.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

walkerman if you got a dog thats hunting and treeing with other dogs i would think it would be time to start hunting your young dog by its self. i think sometimes a young dog can learn more by hisself and it makes them more confident in their ablity when they are alone once youve hunted them some and also i think it will help you learn your dog better. when hes alone i think he can go at his own pace insted of trying to keep up with the older dogs. i reckon its like studying for a test youll do better if you can take your time studying instead of cramming in one night lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well see this dog is 18 months old she has ran coon tracks and absolutely burnt it up. shes treed dead coons i've drug and hung. she normally goes hunting good. the other night she went with the other dogs and they struck. cold track shes hot nosed. she came back down near us and went up the hollar away from the other dogs about 400 yards by herself.when she came back on her same tracks to us. by that time the other dogs were treed. when we got up there she didnt act interested. the old dog was wind treeing. she went back down the where we turned loose and hung out. mosied her way back up and went back down!! is she real independent or what. shes ran a track by herself and my old dog came to back it and he treed it. she stayed in that one spot that he treed. ive seen her bark up some of the trees my old dog treed. how do i get her more interested and tree minded. basicly shes about got it except for treeing and backing another dog when they strike. i know independence isnt bad but if theres one coon and the other dogs are on it i want her to be there too.will hunting her by herself help in this stuff.or what

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

IMO i wouldnt completly single her out i like to mix it up some like hunt them by them selves durin week and with other dogs on the weeken