CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:15 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I just finished the testing for the RoamEo compaired to the Garmin one. It is a really nice unit although not made for a hunting dog. I tested the unit has a range of just over 1.2 miles line of sight, hills are no problem and the range went to .9 miles, heavy brush and blocking overhead view was about .56 miles. I found it very relilable unlike the Garmin that seemed to lose the signal to often. One nice thing is there is no antenna or special harness to fool with or break. The relilability is better than Garmin and that is what counts in my book. I believe it would work excellent for rabbit hunting and maybe coon hunting near cornfield where it is clear. The collar and receiver use a rechargable battery. The transmitter battery life was at 9-10 hours so that kind of stank. The signal did not degrade or lessen when the batteries ran low either.

I believe in July they will be making a much longer range unit that will have an antenna.

Its worth checking into and cheaper. Just wanted to let you all know.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: info
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I was wondering, do you hunt in the hills or flat land? I was thinking about buying the garmin because I hunt farmland in IL and sometimes the river bottoms and your the first post I have seen that talks about actually testing them. And where did you find out that garmin was making a better one in July?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:04 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Not Garmin but the RoamEo will be making a new one I believe. If you hunt flat land you are fine with both units. The RoamEo is cheaper but with less range. The Garmin did not do well in the river bottoms around here. Hills are okay for 1 mile or so but that is it. I would wait for a year before buying any GPS tracking setup. The Garmin just does not have the relilability for the price and that is what we are after most. The new Tracker unit that will be GPS hope it makes it to the USA. That is very nice and works great I have heard. The regular trackers have been proven but the GPS units have not yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BADKARMA wrote:
The new Tracker unit that will be GPS hope it makes it to the USA. That is very nice and works great I have heard. The regular trackers have been proven but the GPS units have not yet.

Have you heard anything else about the Tracker gps system? I really like Tracker products but I have not heard anything about them releasing a gps system?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:35 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Tracker GPS is a sweet system and I was real impressed with it when I got the chance to try it out and field test it.

Problem is that Tracker USA was ready to release it to the market until SportDOG made an agreement with Tracker Finland with a sales and distribution agreement in North-America where all hunting dog related sales will be done by SportDOG in the future .

Since then, the Tracker GPS and the new Tracker Pica tracking collar have been put on hold waiting in SportDOG's hands with what they plan to do with them.

Had that agreement not have taken place, Tracker USA would have released the system for sale back this is spring. My guess, since this change up in the US market side of business took place, the system is probably dead.

Here is more info on Tracker's Finland site:

http://www.tracker.fi/webshop/index.php?pPath=2

The Tracker TTA-310i collar is the one I used.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:00 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Was it comparable to the Astro systems as far as range and reception?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:43 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Better range and reception..............try picking up a collar over 20 miles away with a Garmin.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

20 miles?!? Did you get that personally or have you heard that? And what kind of terrain is that in? Cause I've talked to people that said they can get a couple miles on their Garmin's on flat land but here in East TN with hills and hollers the only thing to hunt I've never seen them get past a mile.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

This was with Tracker's GPS system..............terrain went over some hills.........Seen it personaly testing it.

Also picked up a collar around 700 miles away from Alabama to out west.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:53 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The range is unlimited As long as you have a clear line for the collar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just wanna top this and find out the pro's and con's if anyone is using this. I can find them on ebay brand new and alot cheaper then garmins but don't want to waste money if they are junk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:39 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck how many people do you know using it as their tracking system or heard of using it as their tracking system? I think that is the question to ask yourself and you'll come up with an answer.

They even shut their website down and it was http://www.roameoforpets.com/ and disconnected their phone #.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thats what I was afraid of, it seems most good deals are like free trucks. just end up costing you in the end. I just seen them on ebay and found a 2 yr old topic on the review on here and didn't know if anyone had long term review but it seems as they don't last long term. also looked on a couple other websites and never found a great review, a couple average reviews and alot of poor ones. I know I need to bite the bullet and get a garmin but a man can hope to get a good tracking system cheap :mrgreen: