CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: purina dog food
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this aint to put a scare in anyone but has anyone had any problems with the dog chow.We fed it for years then switched to high standard and then the price got pretty high so we went back to the dog chow and we switched them back over slowly.After about the 8th 50 lbs bag the stool went from firm to completly nasty.Every thing was good up to then and after that one bag all the dogs changed over night.We have 3 beagles 2 walkers and 3 blues and everyone of them was the same but one.Afew of them would but so bad that it would be like blackish brown water with no sign of any solids in it.Now we might be on about the 15th bag and some times its better then they get back to the same way as before.I have (had) a blue male that would be 1 year old on 5/16 and over the weekend he started getting sick and the stool problem kicked in and today at 1:00 he was dead.He was at the vet 3/30 for a rabies shot and a simple check up and every thing was fine.I wanted the vet to draw some blood after he died to do some test to see it it showed anything but he would'nt so im on here to ask the question if anyone has,had,or knows anything that the signs would relate to.I guess after all the dog food scare the thought is in our mind that maybe its the food but im clueless.I Thought about sending some of the food off to get checked but dont know where to do that ANY INFO WOULD SURE HELP.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:31 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i feed dog chow and my dogs' stool has been solid as a rock... take some of their poo to the vet and have it checked for worms. where do you keep your dogs? worms can lay eggs in the ground and hatch in the warm weather, spreading quickly. worms can kill a dog if not taken care of fast enough... if they do have them, get them taken care of and then put your dogs on a monthly heartworm medicine... it helps keep them away. i am sorry for your loss... i hope it isn't the dog feed bc a lot of people's dogs will be in some serious trouble...

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject: dog food
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:12 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i feed purina dog chow also and have had no troubles either...

i have discovered one thing about training dogs... to begin with you have to be smarter than the dog...now if it turns out that the dog is smarter than you trade him in on one that is a little dumber ! ...... come on sunset !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i feed Dog chow and Hi pro No problems at all

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we keep em on a concrete pad thats scooped and sprayed off.We give them the horse paste worm.I was lookin on a vet site and looked up parvo and it sounds like the same thing thats going here but they have the shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Did you give the Parvo shot yourself? Did you get it at the Vet? We had some problems with shots we got at our local feed store.. they were not stored properly and the shots were no good... So make sure you trust where you get your shots from...
I also feed Purina... I have had no problems..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well the one that died it belonged to my step moms brother and we got him back in the middle of march because he passed away so im not sure if he had his shots but i took him to the vet and got the rabies shot but that was all.After reading the articles on the parvo im thinking thats what got him.About 15 years ago we lost about 4 pups at once to it but one day they was fine but the next morn they was gone thats why i never figured it was that

Post subject: Re: purina dog food
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm 
IP:
I have fed purina to several pair of beagles, a lab who died recently at 14 yrs old with little to no hip problems and currently my coon chaser. There is a difference in dog food. I know some have got along fine with your regular off brand local feed/ag store food but I can definitely tell the difference in coat health and overall condition of the dog. I'm sure other dog food is fine as well but purina is my tried and true food.