CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garmin DC 40 Collars
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:58 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seen this on another site. Anyone heard the same thing?

I'll be posting an Update on this website this week about the DC40 collar update and the information I have from some sources who work at garmin.

http://www.GarminAstroDog.com

The (Unofficial) word from Garmin has an official release schedule, and will be changing the suggested price.

Although as we all know, Garmin really was behind the eight ball on the DC30 collars, Things could push out and slip some. But I'll post their Plan shortly.

Expect official statements and information soon.. Very soon..

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am 
IP:
wonder what the difference will be between the dc30 and the dc40 ? Hopefully more range. With my little rubber antenna that came with the system the dc30 loses signal sometimes at 600 yards. Less than half a mile. I have to get the long range antenna plugged in to get signal again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It doesn't look too promising for vast improvments.

I just posted the DC40 Owners manual on that site.

www.garminastrodog.com

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:08 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Price on Garmin's site - $249

Quote:
Garmin introduces the DC 40 collar

Ted Gartner
Garmin International Inc.
Phone | 913/397-8200
E-Mail | media.relations@garmin.com

Garmin® Unleashes Next-Generation Astro® GPS Dog Tracking Collar

OLATHE, Kan./June 11, 2010 /Business Wire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today the DC™ 40 tracking collar, improving upon the very popular Astro GPS Dog Tracking System.

The new DC 40 is mounted on a durable one-inch orange polyurethane coated collar strap, and the small black GPS puck that used to ride on the top of the collar is now integrated into the unit’s main housing. As a result, owners can combine the DC 40 with most standard e-collar receivers – eliminating the need to put two separate collars on a dog. The charging connection has been completely redesigned as well, with the charger clamping around a housing that has no recessed areas for mud to accumulate. Even the LED charging light on the collar has been reconfigured to flash while charging, and glow solid when fully charged.

“The refinements that are found in the new DC 40 are the result of feedback from hunters and trainers,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “The new collar is more convenient and more durable than ever. Whether purchasing an Astro for the first time or upgrading from an older model, sporting dog owners will love the refinements that are packed into the new DC 40.”

Another new feature of the DC 40 is Collar Lock – an option that lets users create a four-digit PIN number that helps prevent others from seeing their dog’s whereabouts. That’s a feature that field trial judges will find useful to ensure that an Astro is used only as a recovery tool when a dog in competition becomes lost.

Used in conjunction with the Astro 220 receiver, the system pinpoints exactly where your dog is and what he’s doing – running, pointing, or treeing – even in dense cover, up to seven miles away, depending on terrain.

The Astro GPS Dog Tracking System requires very little configuration straight out of the box, and is extremely simple to use. Once the transmitter and receiver acquire a GPS signal, the receiver automatically lets users know the location of their dog. There are no subscriptions or setup fees required to use the device.

Astro can track up to ten dogs per receiver at once, and the collar gives location updates every five, 10, 30 or 120 seconds (user selectable). Battery life is 17-48 hours (based on update rate) on the rechargeable DC 40 collar and 24 hours on the Astro 220 receiver, which is powered by two AA batteries. Both the DC 40 collar and the Astro 220 receiver are waterproof.

The Astro also has a map page to illustrate where a dog is and where it has been – in relation to the hunter – and allows hunters to determine if they have covered nearby ground. Garmin’s unique Covey Counter™ lets hunters mark the precise location, time of day, and elevation where they were taken.

The Astro has a microSD card slot that allows users to insert optional pre-programmed topo maps or road maps, which can be invaluable in an unfamiliar area. Highly-detailed 24K topo maps give hunters an idea of the most productive areas to hunt, while road maps feature the same basic functions as an automotive GPS navigation unit – even in rural areas. The optional road map data can also give turn-by-turn directions to motels, gas stations, restaurants, and even veterinarians.

The new DC 40 collar is included as part of the Astro GPS Dog Tracking system. For those wishing to upgrade from a previous generation of collar, the DC 40 can be purchased separately.
Visit http://www.garmin.com for more information and pricing.

About Garmin
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications – most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin’s products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at http://www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin and Astro are registered trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.

Notice on Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 26, 2009, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). Copies of these filings are available at http://www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRe ... ports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2010/06/garm ... ollar.html

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:50 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Review and more pics:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-astr ... 1276250880

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:22 am 
IP:
hmmm I kinda expected a little more range but oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

[bThere have been some minor changes. Nothing that is going to make me wait to buy another. In fact if anything will hope to see some close out pricing!! RIGHT NOW THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!!!! Only a press release stating the upcoming event. Expected ship date of the first ones are not until AUGUST!!!! Here a statement Garmin on the matter.[/b]

[b]I will not pre sell these or take a nickel for these collars until they are available. Since things may change. AS OF RIGHT NOW!!!!! Our pricing will not change. If it were today the price would still be $160. If shipping changes, Garmins pricing changes then the price would change. Based on the pricing info I got today though. The price on everything will remain the same!!! I will generate a wish list with your name on it, and ship in the order they are received.[b]

715-892-0032

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Looks as if my earlier predictions on the Price increase are coming true. Unfortunately that means the DC40 collars "WILL" cost more than the DC30 collars.

My recomendation is leaning towards getting the DC30 collars now while they are still availible unless you want to pay 30-40 bucks more for the Locking Pin feature, or the ability to put it on a Shock collar.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: DC40 Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but It looks like the DC40's are not all they are cracked up to be.

I just got a message from a Guy that has been Field testing, and he was not impressed with it...

Read his words here.

http://garminastrodog.com/garmin-astro-dc40-reviews/

So far the Only Good Reviews I've seen have been from those people that are selling them (go Figure??) .. What are your thoughts?

(I should note that I sell them also.. But I try to be honest, I'm just looking for a General Feel of those who have the DC40 compared side By Side with the DC 30.)

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Dc-40
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well what does everyone think ? I was planning on waiting for the dc-40's but the reviews don't sound very good . Should I stick with the 30's . Thanks

Post subject: Re: Garmin DC 40 Collars
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
August 30, 2010

To: Astro Dealers
1-800-800-1020

***ASTRO DC 40 FIRST-TIME USE ADVISORY***

It has come to our attention that a small number of customers who have purchased Garmin’s new DC 40nGPS tracking collar have experienced issues with acquiring and maintaing a good GPS satellite fix. There are a few simple steps that users can take to ensure their equipment is performing optimally.

• Acquire a solid satellite signal with the DC 40 before attaching the collar to a dog.

To ensure the DC 40 is properly acquired, turn it on and place it in an open area with a clear view of the sky for approximately 15 minutes. This process allows the GPS receiver to download data that will accurately calculate the location of a GPS satellite at a particular point in time.

After this procedure, the DC 40 should lock onto satellites within seconds. If users haven’t turned on their unit in a week or more, or have traveled at least 200 miles from their last use, they should repeat the above procedure for best results.

• Update the Astro 220’s firmware.

From time to time, Garmin will make improvements to the way the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System performs. It’s always a good idea to ensure that the unit has the latest version of software, but it is critical if a customer is upgrading to the DC 40 from an earlier collar version (DC 20 or DC 30). Among other improvements, the new software update lets DC 40 customers take advantage of Garmin’s new Collar Lock feature that, when activated, prevents others from seeing your dog’s whereabouts. The new firmware also enables a two-minute update rate, which allows users to maximize battery life of the collar.

The process is easy – go to http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/ and download the latest version of WebUpdater for the PC or Mac. This application communicates with the Garmin server over the Internet and updates the Garmin GPS with the most current software version available. It’s easy and it’s automatic – just run WebUpdater after you’ve installed it on your computer and follow the instructions.

There are a few additional considerations that you might want to make your customers aware of when using the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System:

• Make sure the DC 40’s GPS receiver is not obstructed.

The GPS receiver on the DC 40 is located on the opposite end of the power button (see photos below). Users should ensure that this area is not blocked or covered by e-collars or other objects that might affect a reliable GPS signal.

• The GPS signal of the DC 40 will be significantly degraded in water.

Because the GPS receiver is integrated into the main housing that sits below the dogs’ neck, if the unit is submerged in water, it is likely that the collar will lose a GPS signal. If a customer’s dog spends a large amount of time in the water, the DC 30 will offer better reception, because the GPS receiver is on top of the dog’s neck.

• High-powered marine VHF radios will significantly and permanently degrade the Astro’s performance.

Some hunters use these radios to communicate with one another. If the radios are used within close proximity to the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System (within a few feet of antennas), it is possible that the VHF signal will permanently damage the Astro’s ability to receive a signal from a GPS tracking collar.

It is very likely that by following these simple steps, any perceived issues with the DC 40 will be resolved. If you have any customers that continue to encounter issues with the new DC 40, please collect as much information as possible about the specifics of their problems, including the environment and manner inwhich the Astro was used. As always, please forward their contact information to your Garmin sales representative so that we might address their concerns.

We thank you for your continued support and we anticipate another very successful launch of the latest improvements to the Astro GPS Dog Tracking System.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Are there people out there using the dc-40's that think the 40's are a vast improvment over the 30's and are way worth the money over the 30's ? Also , I have some dc-30's now and am wondering if you can track 30's and 40's with the same 220 ? Trying to decide in WI . Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

TreeBark, Not very many if there are. Much more people seam to be disapointed with them and seams like quite a few are sending them back...

Here is a Review of the Satelite reception issue I did tonight..

DC30 Vs DC40 side by side.. with pictures and examples.

http://garminastrodog.com/dc40-vs-dc30-gps-reception/

Buddy

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There are some Rumors that DC40 has better range than the DC30 collars. so I did a Test. I didn't know what to expect, I was starting to believe them. But as you can see the DC40 is bouncing in and out of range with the DC30's in no particular order.
When they drop off for good, all of them drop off within a 100 yards...

http://garminastrodog.com/garmin_dc40_range_vs_dc30/

Only note I can make is I wish I could get this type of Range when I'm out hunting.. 6.5 miles... Wow!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Keep up the good work hounded, Very helpful ! Enjoyed talking with you last week .