CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DC30 VS DC40
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Anyone had any field experience with the DC-40 collars? I've heard alot of people say they don't pick up as good as the DC-30's. Some say that if they lose the signal they can't pick them back up like the the DC-30's. One guy told me that every morning he has to stick the Astro handheld unit to the collar to "re-program" it to read that collar. I need some more Garmin collars but I just wondering if I need to stick to the DC-30's. :?:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Garmin DC 40 Collars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have both DC30 and DC40, when I first tried the DC40 I had problems picking it up. Talked to the guy I bought it from and he said that I needed to leave the collar on for a couple of hours and let it store the sat. info from my area into the collar. Did this and it helped. It seems to have the same range as the DC30 but it seems to take longer to pick back up after losing signal. I think alot of the problem is because the gps ant. is on the bottom of the collar. I also updated the collar and this helped it.

Home of

GRNITECH D&D NIGHTIME YADKIN R DEE DEE
BEANS HARDWOOD JAZZ
CH RED EAGLE ROCKO
DAWSON'S HAMMERIN TUFF

Post subject: DC-40 day!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have 9 of the dc-30's and love them. I keep hearing that the dc-40 would let me put all my equipment on one collar. I just got it today and what a hunk of CRAP! I waited to get this thing and am now really sad i did. I have been a firm believer in garmin for years. I use them in my car, boat, and for work. The new system will track 50 yards and then nothing. I put the system on my beagle (thank god it wasnt a bear hound) it went out and was gone. It took me half the day to find the hound i was not happy. I came home and updated the 220 and the dc-40 then made the wife take it for a ride. I lost her before she left the driveway(of course she came back GRRRR) lol.

Well this is what i ended up with a week of waiting, $200, half of my day off chasing a dog and a pile if crap for a tracking collar! GOOD LUCK!!! I will call garmin in the am. Thanks had to vent. Now i got to go deal with the wife with the frozen hand from the drive with it out the window. LOL

Post subject: Re: DC30 VS DC40
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We never had a DC30 but the DC40 seems to be a great collar. We only lost our dog once and she was over 950yrds away in a very steep ravine. I am very Comfortable with the DC40 and its performance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have yall tried the software update you have to have to be able to use the DC40? I had alot of issues with my 40 when I first got it. Found out Garmin had a software update avalible. Downloaded it from the Garmin Website onto my receiver, havent had an isssue since. I acually trust my 40 more than the 30. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I never used a dc30 but have the 40 and love it. I have 2 collars and haven't had any trouble loosing singnal and picking it back up or a long connect time. My unit is usually ready to go within a minute or so. So far its been real reliable. I've only had them for a month and checked to see if there was any new software updates and there wasn't. So maybe there was a problem with the original software.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There is one warning about the dc 40, if you ever have to take it apart or change the battery be extra careful with the wires that connect the battery and the charging poles, one day i took mine apart and one of the wires broke from the charging poles. Now I have to send mine in and have it fixed. I don't know if it was just a defect in mine or what. Just thought I would worn you all if you ever have to change the battery or take the unit apart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I honestly don't know what it is but I wouldn't even think about buying a DC-40, it has caused me and my buddy alot I mean ALOT of aggravation. It just doesn't work as well at all.!!!!!!!!!! DC-30 much much better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I know guys with the dc-40 and its got nothing on the dc-30. the only thing better about the collar is that the battery connecter is flush to plastic on the 40, so you dont get dirt and a bunch of crap in the battery connecter like the dc-30 does. other than that i dont see the hype about them

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I HAVE DC 30 COLLARS.I ALWAYS PUT THE CHARGING PORT TO THE REAR ON THE DOG(ANTENNA ON DOGS LEFT SIDE). AND I CUT UP A 12" BIKE TUBE TO WRAP AROUND THE BATTERY PACK ON THE COLLARS SO THAT COVERS THE CHARGING PORTS FROM GETTING TOO MUCH GRIME IN THEM. SO FAR,SO GOOD. AS SOON AS I AM DONE HUNTING I ROLL THE INTERTUBE PIECE BACK SO NO MOISTURE STAYS ON THE PORT TOO. SEEMS TO BE WORKING GREAT!

812-675-0420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have you all heard about the new astro 320 that came out on June 2 :?:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

DC30 are 100% better just bought a DC40 because could not get a nother DC30 so I thought I used it this weekend and it sucks The DC40 got out 179yds and I lost the dog never got the dog online again till we got where the bear was treed this is not garmins better idea hope the DC50 will be better or maybe should go back to making DC30s again

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had both I live In central okla and I had a astro 220 with dc30's and lose service a lot always picked back up tho I now have the astro 320 with dc40's and personally I would not go back I have only lost service once and picked up in about 10 sec and dog was In a bottom 1 1/2 mile away I love this system And wouldn't change back it's faster and accuracy seems way better

Post subject: DC30 VS DC40
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The dc 40 is a pile of crap. I traded mine for a used 30 4 days after I got it. The range sucks and 18 minutes for my dog to come back on in a flat bean field is unacceptable in my eyes just another way for big business to burn the little guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I use the dc30 with my 220 and love it. My cousin just bought the new 320 with the dc40 and appartently garmin did some changes with the new 40's, had my handheld at a local shop gettin the topo map put on so we used his, where the 320 would lose my 30's the 40 collar on his dog would still have signal. I have never had trouble tracking my dogs with the dc30's so I won't change anytime soon but the new set up with the dc40 does seem to work better than others i have seen.