CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: scared of the dark??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

is it possible for a dog to be scared of the dark? my dog doesnt go much more than a hundred yards from me at night if that, but during the day i never see him and i spend most of the time trying to find him. the other day i took him for a walk just to go check my cuddeback camera and he struck a track and took off and i could hear him bawling down through the woods to a point where it was the faintest sound, he went really far. and he treed on a den. it was 2 in the afternoon! hes treed quite a few coon at night but i had to walk with him and i think they were already layedup cuz hes always pretty close to me and never opens up on track just trees. any thoughts? thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: scared of the dark??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am 
IP:
He's afraid of the dark. Only getting used to the dark will help change that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How old is he and how much have you hunted him at night..OHHH coon will run or move around in the day time...LOL...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hes a year and a half. ive hunted him alot. hes always been this way at night. he wont get out away from me. how can i get him not scared of the dark? i take him out twice a week and everytime is the same. he doesnt leave. hes treed probly 10 coon so far by himself. 4 of those off of feeders but the rest had no help at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Do you talk to him while your hunting or call to him????...Its best not to say a word to a dog like this . Unless you want to call them in or on a tree.......But some dogs are close hunters thats just how they hunt.Its best just to try and wait out a dog like this or hunt them with dogs .That go hunting really good.Sometimes thats all thats needed.You just chain them back at a few trees if they dont take off and go with the other dogs..Dont let any dog thats treeing its own coon. Get ahold of a coon unless they are at the tree treeing when you get there.......

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i talk to him sometimes telling him to leave. alright thanks alot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i just had him out for a walk and he got on a deer track and i ended up picking him up a couple miles down the road after somebody picked him up and got my number of his tag on his collar. in a way im pissed because hes never ran any trash before but im trying to look at it in a positive way. hes never opened up on track and trailed that long before and i could here him barking for a long time. like i said before hes only ever treed never barked on track. so if it was u what would u do? im thinking about box trapping some coon and letting them loose without him seeing it and hunting him towards it, giving the coon some more time to run every time i do it. would this help? i thought maybe i should show him a box trapped coon but hes already proven he can go crazy at a coon in a trap so i figured i dont need to do that again. any opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks
john

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I found this question. I was just wondering what everyone thought of this. I have a year and half old gyp that I just got. I did not hunt her before I got her ( I know my bad) but she will not folow the other dog she satys around me. Saturday night she actually went about 30- yards to the dog that was treeing. she stayed up there for about 10 minutes and then came back. When we go tto the tree she did run around it some sniffing but enver barked. Sunday I drug a tail around the yard and had her on the leash. She was following pretty much where I went so I decided to let the leash go. I ended up having to catching her on the neighbors porch. So has anyone experienced this and is time the only thing that fixes it or is there something I can do to help.

GRCH Quail Hills Juice Berr-ee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet is right you need to hunt it with other dogs at night if she gets on a hot track with other dogs shell forget about the dark and it'll build her confidence, but if your posative she is running deer you need to becareful you don't want to pull other dogs on a deer track if you can hunt her with deer broke dogs. If your sure she's running deer try top invest in a shock collar, and ride around in the a.m. until you see a deer don't dump her directly on the deer but get out a walk to were you know deer were and if she gets on them pour the heat to her. And if she's running and treeing her own coons she doesn't need to see a caged coon. You can catch and release one ride a few mins. Then come back and turn her loose on it.

SANDLAND KENNELS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Been running here with another dog about five times. She still will not leave. When first let loose she will go about 20 yards with the other dog then come back. Even if I take her out by herself and just walk with her she will not go off. I got her knowing she was young and not hunted alot. Was told she would run and tree with dogs but I am not seeing it. Would you just start over and take her from the begininning with a caged coon and go from there? I love being in the woods listening to the dogs so doing this would it hurt to let her go out anyways, She is running up to the tree when the dog is treed but no matter what no noise she will not bark.I have only had the dog about a month and definately do not want to give up on her, I just am looking for advise on where to go from here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How old is she? I wouldn't show her many caged coons. If you do do it at night and in an open field so it doesn't run up the first tree. let her get worked up on it put her back in box let coon go. Give it a few minutes before you let her go. And other than that just keep hunting her she should click

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is very commen for a young dog that ant been hunted much.I got a dog just like that a couple years ago.I hunted and hunted and hunted with my other dogs which treed many coons while we were out.Slowly she start venturing out farther and farther until one night she just flipped out ran a hot track and treed everybreath.It took about 15 hunts.Its been on ever since.Trust me i was ready to throw in the towel.If they got it in them it willl come out and u will be very proud hunter.Goodluck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Best solution to this problem is to hunt that dog alone, do not drop in fields hunt big pieces of timber (inside the timber). When you are ready to cut the dog loose turn your light off, don't say a word, unhook her slowly and sit down, don't say a single word (even if she just stands there) she will eventually venture out on her own. I had a year old blue that took 2 hours to break the 20 yeard range but once he started exploring he quickly got over his problem and is one of my best dogs. The only fix for this problem is pure patience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Also make sure that there are not unfamiliar people around with you that can keep her attention from the woods. Best to be just you and her.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks so much for all the advice. She is around a year and a half. I normally try to take her out two to three times a week. Normally it is just me and her. If I do go hunting then it is my buddy and his dog. His dog is great he pays no attention to her and does his thing. She is starting to show interest and will run up to the tree but she just lays at the tree. I have not heard her bark one bit on trail or tree. I have some traps set but have not caught a coon yet. working on it.