It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

GutEmNH wrote:
Hill_Top wrote:
I've hunted with alot of julys.. there FAST FAST FAST.. and most of them are tight mouthed cause they run to catch, and there smart enough to sneak up on the fox before they open, cause if they start openin before they get close it'll be a loooooooooooooooooong run and they know it. .i've seen many july hounds put it all over running walkers, i've hunted with top fox hounds and the lower fox hounds, and i like julys better, they may not run all night, but the reason they don't run all night cause it don't take them all night to catch it :lol: anywho, i like julys if you get a good line, there like anything, theres good and bad in all breeds

you no of some good line?

yes, what are you lookin for in the dogs? that has alot to do with the line, if your just gettin into fox/hound racing in my personal business i'd go a few times and buy 5 or 6 finished out dog regardless of how much it costs you then hunt them and pick the ones you like out and go from there.. im sure theres some hunters in your area that'll take you along, regardless of what they have... theres alot of julys out there, you can perscribe to the "hunters horn" and theres LOTS AND LOTS of running dogs in there for you to pick from.. its like anything, its what your lookin for.. idk if you coon hunt, but its the same thing, i hate rat dogs, but i love yadkin river and coma dogs... but the guy next to you might tell you that im a idiot for not likin rat dogs and that im a idiot for likin yadkin river and coma dogs.. its all about what you want

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hill_Top wrote:
GutEmNH wrote:
Hill_Top wrote:
I've hunted with alot of julys.. there FAST FAST FAST.. and most of them are tight mouthed cause they run to catch, and there smart enough to sneak up on the fox before they open, cause if they start openin before they get close it'll be a loooooooooooooooooong run and they know it. .i've seen many july hounds put it all over running walkers, i've hunted with top fox hounds and the lower fox hounds, and i like julys better, they may not run all night, but the reason they don't run all night cause it don't take them all night to catch it :lol: anywho, i like julys if you get a good line, there like anything, theres good and bad in all breeds

you no of some good line?

yes, what are you lookin for in the dogs? that has alot to do with the line, if your just gettin into fox/hound racing in my personal business i'd go a few times and buy 5 or 6 finished out dog regardless of how much it costs you then hunt them and pick the ones you like out and go from there.. im sure theres some hunters in your area that'll take you along, regardless of what they have... theres alot of julys out there, you can perscribe to the "hunters horn" and theres LOTS AND LOTS of running dogs in there for you to pick from.. its like anything, its what your lookin for.. idk if you coon hunt, but its the same thing, i hate rat dogs, but i love yadkin river and coma dogs... but the guy next to you might tell you that im a idiot for not likin rat dogs and that im a idiot for likin yadkin river and coma dogs.. its all about what you want

I have yadkin river and jet 5 dogs i hunt coon and bear.

Post subject: fox hounds?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just wondering if enyone has hunted coon with foxhounds,and if there eny good for coon hunting. thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have 11 running walkers as of now in the pen. Mostly Croggin Breed. A running walker has a completly defernt built body if you got the full bloods. Deep chest long back legs. A coonhound can keep up fair for first 3 4 miles but after thewy hit 6 7 running walkers are just breaking in and the coonhounds are shot.

The Crogen breeding starts over near kansas Missouri line. Bill Crogen started with coonhounds that didnt make it breed them to running hounds and 3 4 generations later we have the shape and endurance needed. Crogen are usally very timid breed. I have a 14yr female crogen breed ive known her for all her life in i still can only touch her loading up. Best coyote pup trainer ever is. Only trash she does is she will tree a coon. but if coyote barks shes gone.

Julys are good dogs ive got one full july and several mixed with crogen breeding. There built just same has the crogens. Ive noticed there not as good of track dogs as crogens. You get some that just pick there head up and run threw the brush instead on trailing him threw.
All in All coyote hunting with hounds is a blast. If you like hearing a dog run.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

they use running walkers around here to run deer and coyoti and the guy next door to me has about 10 july walkers for deer dogs and another guy i know has about 20 or more english fox hounds that he runs in fox pens thes dogs are mostly thinner than a tree dog and will run a deer plum out of the state

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my pappaw ran fox hounds and he always called them running walkers and i was just wondering if there was a difference , between the two .. i did not know if a blanket back dog might be a treeing walker cause bout all of the expencive ones are blanket backed !! sorry searched the forms and could not find any info thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My dad hunted foxes with Goodman hounds and Walkers for yrs back in the 30's & 40's..As I remember, he told me that once in while they would tree a coon..He would try to break them off treeing but if he couldn't he would try to sell or swap them off to local coonhunters..He always favored the Goodmans over the other breeds..He told me that the Goodmans had better noses and were faster than the Walkers he hunted..A few years back I went to Licensed Fox Hunt in Virginia and the Walkers looked pretty quick to me.So I guess its becomes what you prefer in a hound.

Post subject: just what is a july
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had many july dogs small lemon and white dogs, but i tried to look them up and found nothing. Are they called else?