CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a year and a half female walker.at 6 weeks old shed bark n tree a drag rag.6months old when i started her she ran and treed with my older pup.i put my time into the other pup n i am honestly ashamed 2 say that.he has passed away and i need her to do her thing.i can cut her loose with any dog and shes by herself.she'll run a track good,she moves it fast,but she'll get silent when shes lost it then run off lookin for another.i showed her 1 cage coon n she looked good but i turned it loose n she ran it barkin but just looked clueless at the tree just standin there.she jumped in the air around the tree but she wont tree. its pointless huntin with another dog cuz she wont back him up(i like that to a certain extent).i know go n when she gets silent leash her up so she'll stay n figure out its up but i cant keep up with her.any advice is deeply appreciated,shes to nice to waste and i just realized that too late.

im sorry its long but something im very serious about

-KIRK'S RAT SHOT RAMBLER (R.I.P)
-KIRKS NITE SHIFT DIXIE TROOPER

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sounds like she aint quitin till the coon goes up.need to get u some feeder buckets out and get her on some hot tracks where u can stay close enough to her so u can encourage her when she finds a tree.with the coon in it of course.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have 3 feeder buckets that stay full thats because i dont have a good coon population.its impossible to keep up shes a bullet that will go through my VERY thick woods.i just am clueless on this one.i dont know what to do to have her put the 2 together.shed would honestly be a hound with braggin rights if shed just tree.ive walked her to a tree with a coon by herself when i was walkin back to the house(i normally go by myself) she hammered down, really pretty, belly rubbin, every breath tree dog. but trackin and treein isnt attaching to one another with her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

b&b im in your exsact postion. I gotta 12month pup will absolutly not pay attention to another dog. wont tree with another. Shes runs track like a pro hits tree throws big bawl locate barks 5-10 times in goes for another. she treed 5times lastnte in mile section. The two i marked in went and checked on the garmin both had a coon. Shes termindusly accurate on her locate.

My Thing im going to do is catch a coon tie a rope on him in drag him this way. That way she does not see a coon in the tree.(she trees hard if she can see it) And im gunna let her tree it in as soon as i see her come off it im gunna hollar and to get back on tree and bump her with shocker. Everytime she bumps off im gunna give her light bump. No other way i can think of. feel fairly certain i cant put to much tree in a dog thats doesnt want to tree.

In your situation if the dog will stay at the tree just pat him and incourage em to bark. watch for her to smell the track going up the tree and really encourage get excitied about it to get her excited. You should be alright. If you have a garmin it makes a world of difference in a situation that were in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thank you for your reply,80% of the time she'll run lose it at the tree then run for another.i heard her locate the other night it was so nice for me just 10barks mixed into one ive never heard 1 like that.i couldnt get to her unfortuantly.i took her tonight n instead of barkin a lot she seemed more wanting she really worked it down the creek and got to a old timer trash can=woods she bayed at it a little but it outsmarted her.i still am impressed in a not expecting anything point of view.she has a lot of tree in her but track n tree arent relating to her yet.i can take any and all advice yall can give

butler thank u very much for ur reply

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

alot of people give up on these type of dogs. but the fact is the guy that has the patients to keep hunting them till they start staying end up with a pretty nice dog.
i'd rather have this type then one i have to break off treeing every tree in the woods.
to me it don't sound like she is losing it at the tree.
its not that they dont know the coon climbs. they just can't stay, just too wound up to stay.just too much fun to run em. you hunt em down till they are tired you will find they will start hunting close enough you can get to the tree.a solid week of all nighters and they will change. (takes the bullet out of them)i hunt some of the fire out of them to slow them down from just being wound up go hards. then i can start heading thier way when they are on the track. when they tree i am there and can get something with them done at the tree..get them wore down to where they can learn something.you keep them in the woods and eventually the right situation will happen to flip the tree switch on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thank you tc very good advice and i will definetely give that a try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

when I got my male that's what he would do he would tree then before I got to him he would start another track made for a long night but he worked it out and he's one of the best dogs I've ever owned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

TC is right i have one outta Big De. Started runnin the track at 19 weeks and the 3rd night out. The best track dog i have ever owned, has yet to fall on his head. Snow swamps creeks cold track will not phase him, can take a ruttin boar track and cut it in half. His problem was the same no tree. Almost gave up on him at 2 months old cause of lack of interest in a dead coon. And just had him up for sale last week. Gave both him and I a week break and Thursday night i took him out and he stayed treed till i got about 50 yrds from him and he got back down out in the corn stubble field huntin i grabbed him and put him back on the tree. Yes he had the coon and all the other times he would locate he had the coon. When i cut him with another dog he his either leading the pack or by himself. When out with my older dog he would locate and go on and my old dog would come in there and tree and have the coon. Needless to say he is no longer for sale and my best advice is to just keep huntin um and like TC said the switch will be flipped. I'm learnin that sometimes the real good ones takes alot of work, found out Big De was the same way as a pup and alot of Big De pups are the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sounds like there some really great hounds do this until switch is thrown to tree.

Lastnight i had everything fall perfect for me. 1st dump she bumped a tree 400yds in and went on and she ran another track in never finished it, but was around 2 great big oaks never seen her bump either. 2nd dump she went in ran track located treed in then started to go on i ran in hollern at her and i got there she had came back around(gone maybe 30secs) and i was lookn and she located right behind me in then jumped off to go i bumped her with the collar and she grabbed the tree in started in i looked in found the coon so i backed out in feild 50yds and bumped her couple times for getting of 10ft or so in she treed better in better walked out to the truck and came back in rewarded her. She treed for solid 10mins with me gone. hopefully it helped.

I was starting to wonder if she new she was suppose to stay. but if she nows i want her to, she should stay. she commands so great to me. Best handling dog ive ever hunted. With yest. being first time shes ever seen a shocker.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I love reading these post like this, they make good sense, I went on the ukc website 2 or 3 weeks ago an d signed up, if b&b kennels would have wrote a question like that, there would be so many negative responses it isnt funny, thanks for good advice

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thats why I quit going to those forums. This entire site layout is better in my opinion (mostly due to moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ive got a problem very similar to this. i need yall to help me on this one. my dog 1.5 yr old. she is very hot nosed. but she is a very good strike dog and can blister a coon. but she wont tree unless she can see it (like a dead coon laying there.) i turned a cage coon in front of her and she saw it go up the tree and she smelled up it and she knew it was there but wouldn't tree. if i patted on the tree she would bark. and i would pet her. i dont know what to do. ive showed her a cage coon in a tree and she treed (really good). i know she can smell that it went up the tree but wont tree. what should i do give her time or what? i really need help and i have patience with this dog. what can i do?

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what i would do is run her with a old dog when he trees and has the coon if she is treein shoot it them if she aint treein tie her back and roll it out to the ol dog and dont let her have it do this till she starts trein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ive tried that and when my old dog is chewin on it she starts barkin. so i let her have some since she barks for it. should i do this and not let her get any of it even if she barks???