CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: my dog wont finish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 3 year old bluetick that i just bought hes a COONDOG but he hasnt ben hunted since november so i got a cage coon hid it in some tall grass i got him out of the kennel walked a bout 150 yards up wind of the coon turned him lose he started hutnin and then he got downwind of the coon he threw his nose in the air and struck then he treed the cage coon. so i pet him up and put him in his box. i take the coon and turn it loose and it RUNS it doesnt go up a tree its gone so i turn blue out about 80 yard off the trail he circles downwind winds the trail and he strikes and hes gone he chased the coon for a 1/4 mile and stoped in 1 spot but kept barkin and idk his tree bark yet so i figurd he was treed well when i got there he just walked to me and quit barkin wats up with that? how do i fix that? did i walk up on him while he was trailin and i distracted him?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: my dog wont finish
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

HUNT HIM FOR A COUPLE WEEKS AND SEE IF IT IS A PROBLEM HE HAS OR IF IT WAS JUST ONE OF THEM THINGS THAT HAPPENED. DOGS ARE DOGS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

dewight if it was me the next time i took him hunting and you think hes treed i would ease in on him pretty close but not so close were he can hear you and listen, if hes not treed maybe you can hear him walking through the woods while hes barking and youll know he aint treed but trailing still, i would just sit still and listen right close he just might have a good change over on the tree and even somebody like me would know hes treed lol. ive had dogs that would leave a tree if anybody else went to the tree and i wasnt there with them but i think they could have caught them while they was leaving the tree. maybe your dog aint bonded with ya yet if you aint had him to long, if he was mine i would hunt hide off him and youll be hes new best friend and youll know for sure if hes got what it takes. i hope he makes you a goodun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

could just be out of shape and gave up lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

When getting a new dog its best to hunt them first to see what kind of dog you have..It takes on average 3-4 weeks of good hunting to find out what you have to work with...((You should also try out a dog before buying it))...How do you know hes a good coondog?????.Have you hunted with him?????..One big mistake a lot of guys make????..Is messing with a cage coon or rolling cage too much..A little gos a long ways and can even ruin a dog..It can get them so they have to see a coon to show any interest..Or have to see a coon to tree...I know guys that take every new dog they get.If is a new pup or a old broke dog..The first thing they do is get the cage coon out....If you have a dog that can run and tree you should never work them on a cage coon again...I never use a cage coon (unless) Im about ready to give up on a dog..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the guy i bought him from said he was a good dog that needs a little work and he'd prove it to me he said i can try him out for 2 weeks and if i dont like him i can take him back and he'd give my money back. I took him huntin agion last night and he did alot better he just needs to be hunted some more so im goin 2nite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog is doing great treeing his own and knocking the leaves off while doin it