CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NEED HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just dont know what to do. I have a gyp that is coon crazy, all she wants to do is kill a coon. She will and has treed coons by herself but it has to be a very hot track. She will not go deep and hunt. If she doesn't hit a hot track she will come back and jus set at my feet. Is there any thing I can do to get her more motivated.
Then i have a 9month old Charley VII pup. I showed him his first coon at 3months and he went crazy. This pup is gonna be the real deal. But the down fall is that when he finds a creek or a pond he gets hung up in the water. Its not that he is scared of it, he loves it. All he wants to do is play in the water. He will literally start baying the water. How do i get him out of this. I'm not a experienced coon hunter and need help. I thought i could get pups and train them myself but its turning out that it is harder than i thought. Its gettin really frustrating. So if anyone can give me advise I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: NEED HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

im not a pup trainer by ANY means but on the pup that bays at the water if hes only 9 months old hes YOUNG give him time to grow up i wouldnt worry til like a year and a half old but thats just me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with whacks'em your pup is still very young give em time to get out of his puppy stage. he is like a 3 year old kid all he wants to do is what you don't want em to do. Just keep with it. good luck to ya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks yall... Any input on my gyp?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How old is the gyp? If she knows how to tree a coon I would say just keep hunting her as much as you can. When she comes back to you I would put the lead on her and walk her 50 yards or so and re-cast her. Don't say a word when she comes back. DO NOT pet her and talk to her. Just put the lead on her and take her a short way and re-cast. If she comes back a second time put the lead on her and put her back in the box. Again, DO NOT pet her or encourage her. Drive to another spot and repeat. If she has the desire to find a coon she will get tired of this routine and start going. When she does tree a coon make sure to pour on the praise. We have done this with dogs that wouldn't get out of your light and it has worked. But, some dogs just won't go hunting. You may find that nothing works and you either have to walk hunt her or start over. If she is younger than 2 years I wouldn't worry about her. Just keep hunting her. As dogs mature they become more confident.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She is 18months. I went last night with some buddies. We turned out their dogs went one way and she went the other. She treed by herself. Its jus seems like she is only good for one tree a night then she jus looses all motivation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At 18-months I wouldn't be too worried. I will say that most at least want to see what the other dogs are doing at that age. If she won't hunt after one tree, then lead her in after the others tree again and see if that piques her interest. I've seen some dogs that were worked a lot with a caged coon act this way for a bit...the owner would trap a coon and let it go for the young dog to trail and then shoot it out as a reward then go home thinking it was a good training session. The dog got to thinking one coon and my job is over. This usually came from dogs that didn't seem to have a ton of ingrained desire or that were still a little immature for work. Even at 18-months, she may be a slow starter and not REALLY enjoying the work yet.

Not sure if that's the case with yours or not, but I'd just get creative in getting her interested in realizing there's more fun to be had after the first coon. Also, make sure she's getting a good high-quality hi-protein feed.

I just had an issue with a 3-year old I posted on here a week or so ago that wasn't eating and then wasn't hunting very hard. The vet thought she had a stomach virus that was making her not feel good. She wouldn't eat, and so she wouldn't hunt hard. She's back to her normal self now after getting some good solid meals in her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

She is still very young. Just keep hunting her. Some dogs really don't hit their stride until 2-3 years. Keep her in the woods.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Preacher sir you hit the nail on the head. Ive caught coons and turned them out on her. It was usually just one coon at a time. Thanks for the help sir.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

**the thread titled drive may be of some help to you to read.
starting a pup is the easy part. having the patients and doing the work of training actually starts once the dog will tree an easy coon alone.
whether a pup is started with released coon or with another dog ,when you single it out to actually hunt its gonna be at the beginning level of track running.
with drags and released coon its always had a hot easy track (i dont care how long you wait after you release it before you turn the dog loose,a coon released out of a cage is looking to climb. it aint like a coon on its own turf.) and with another dog its always had the other dog that has the track sense already learned to figure out the looses for it.

a dogs age has nothing to do with what it should be doing by such and such an age. its how much it has been hunted.
most top ability 2 and 3 yr old dogs have been hunted more then most peoples 5 and 6 yr old dogs.
it takes alot of boot tracks and dedication to take a dog from a pup to a finished coonhound.
you have them wanting coon,now is when you have to put the work and time in taking them to the woods and letting them learn how to do it for real on thier own. you are at the stage where its gonna take the most patients on your part,it can be very frustrating, but all dogs have to be hunted through this so they can learn track sense,easy and hard tracks. most aint gonna tree every one they get after, but with hunting time and doing it over and over they get more and more consistant at treeing them off the tracks they strike and more and more consistant at finding a coon to track and tree when they go looking.one of the best ways to get a young dog to hunt harder,run the track with more desire to catch it and to tree and stay treed is to shoot the coon out and NOT let the dog touch it. drag them back to the truck still wanting it.alot of people tie young dogs back and shoot the coon to other dogs and not let the young dog have any, but very few do it when hunting the young dog alone. you would be amazed at the results. many think giving the dog the coon it trees is a reward to the dog,but its not how to get into a dogs head to get what I want out of the dog. a coonhound is bred to track and tree bark for anything it wants. the best way to get them to use those bred in instincts with some real desire is to make them want the coon as much as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I noticed a few years ago that if i didn't get a coon out to my dogs, they would be juiced up and hunt harder. Since then i've made it a habbit to not shoot every coon out. I have a pup that i started this year. She is to the point where she can run an easy coon. At first I shot everyone out to her. Lastnight I didn't shoot her the 1st one down and she hunted real hard until she got the 2cd one treed. Try just givin her every other one and see what happens.