CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am 
IP:
Need help I got a 2 year old b&t awesome dog by himself tree lots of coons but when I take him with another dog he plays follow the leader anything I can do to boost his confidence? Cause rite now he's just me too dog

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

try taking him with a young dog that knows nothing then he will think he is big dog! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:23 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i would hunt him by hisself for a while until he matures more, when he gets a little older and matures some he want need a leader cause he will be the leader. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if you want him to get alone, hunt him alone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 pm 
IP:
Thanks for the help! Im still huntin him by himself like I said he looks good by himself I just can't wait till that maturity kicks in so he can be put in some comp hunts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:50 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if hes treeing you a lot of coons you got the hard part done, give him a little time and let him build his confidence up by treeing his own coons and i bet it wont be long before when you cut him loose he will have one thing on his mind and thats to put a coon up a tree no matter with or with out his :D friends.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Let another dog get treed.Have someone turn him lose if he comes into the other dogs tree kick his ##*%* and make him go on about his own buisness... Repeat as needed...I'v see this method work...It sounded like BS to me but the proof was there..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

josh kelley wrote:
Need help I got a 2 year old b&t awesome dog by himself tree lots of coons but when I take him with another dog he plays follow the leader anything I can do to boost his confidence? Cause rite now he's just me too dog

what is the leader dog doing that the b&t is doing as far as following?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:00 am 
IP:
Well toe cutter the leader could be slick treeing for instance and my dog would just be hanging around there close to the tree knowing good and well the coons
not there but he wont go on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

josh kelley wrote:
Well toe cutter the leader could be slick treeing for instance and my dog would just be hanging around there close to the tree knowing good and well the coons
not there but he wont go on

just walk right by the slick treed dog and take your dog on in with you callin him on.. he will learn if he goes on he will find the coon. its not uncommon for young dogs to do what your saying.. its real good he will not tree just cause the other dog does. he will get so he will go on and will make you a much more accurate dog in the long run then the average ones do, the ones that will tree just cause the other dog does.

your dog just ain't relized the other dog is an idiot yet.

chances are he is already trying to work the track on before you get there and comes back around when you come in. he just aint confedent enough to do it yet.

dogs tree slick mostly becuase either they came up short on the track on a tree the coon tapped or confused the dog on or they ran the tracks backwards to the tree it came down from, and that happens with more of them then most people ever relize..
it could also very well be why your dog is not finding the track going on and taking it. he'll get it,just keep taking him to class. takes alot for a young dog to learn how to compensate for anothers dogs mistakes.
if you do see that it is or even may be the other dog is going backwards on some , its not the dog you want to put your young dog with at his age. i will not put a young dog with any dog that can undo or cross thread the work i have put into a young dog. you'll know when he is ready for all comers ,including the idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:58 pm 
IP:
Thanks toe cutter I have come realize that he's just a late bloomer because I be hunted him only by himself for the past 3 weeks and I've seen 14 coons out of 16 trees! So I gunna keep on hunting by myself till im completely sure his maturity is there to get it done in these comp hunts. All in all thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

now your talkin.
determination,dedication,strong will and sacrifice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

To kinda take this in a different direction, I have a young redbone who wont hunt with other dogs no matter what they're doing, he's always off workin on his own. Should I start huntin him by himself or does it really matter?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

showmecoon wrote:
if you want him to get alone, hunt him alone.

That about says it right there.