CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

[*]ive got a female about a year an half old. She ran an treed first coon at 6 months old. The last 4 months she has been back trackin an wont get with the other dogs when she hits a track even if they have the coon.. She has ran a been going until she cant do anything else with the track an then she will start runing either a big circle or just start going back an forth. Alnost like shes running her on track cause she opens on it like its hot. When shes doing it there aint no calling her off it. What should i do.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Really need some advoce. Will she come out of it. Should i try an break her of it. ???. she is 1 year an 2 months old.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

this is just my opinion and i aint really that smart so take this for what its worth, i dont think a dog like that will ever come out of that in my opinion, if you break him from backtracking i dont think he will run a track at all. i had a brother to houses tom tom when i was a kid and he backed track until i got rid of him which was 3 years old, i have a dog now doing that and ive hunted the hair off him and hes still doing it, so iam going to get rid of him. i hope he works out for ya but if it was me i believe i would be looking for another dog. good luck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

hunt the dog by itself, hunt some feeders or do some turn loose coon to ensure a hot track. if that doesnt work, get something different. put what you feel is a reasonable amount of time and effort into the dog and if it still does not suit you then you need a different dog.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have turned about 4 or so coons loose on her in her time of being started. She will run them just fine an she has hit a hot track an done just fine to. Thanks for the input though. May just find a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Dumping pups on hot coon has its good and bads. I've had a dog did the same thing. One night I turned her round in made her run it other way. You have a 50 50 shot your right. Mine went on to treeing coons but she would still back track a coon couple hundred yds or so then realize it and turn around in come back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think it is still a young dog. Is it possible one of the other dogs you are hunting with has got agressive with you dog several times on tree but when they hear you coming stop to keep from getting a additude adjsutment :evil: if you like the dog find a good trainer and be hinest with them about what is going on with it see if they are willing to train it. i WOULD DEFFINATLY break the habbit of not listening if you call the dog to stop and come to you though. If you don't want to fool with it give it to someone for a house pet or something please dont be like a lot of sorry People and sell it as it will just ruin the dogs life and possibly a new person into the sport. Just my 2 cents :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

proctor wrote:
[*]ive got a female about a year an half old. She ran an treed first coon at 6 months old. The last 4 months she has been back trackin an wont get with the other dogs when she hits a track even if they have the coon.. She has ran a been going until she cant do anything else with the track an then she will start runing either a big circle or just start going back an forth. Alnost like shes running her on track cause she opens on it like its hot. When shes doing it there aint no calling her off it. What should i do.

what is she doing that makes you think she is back tracking ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just cause when shes running in there u can look on the garmin an see her tracks are ran right over top of each other. She would go back an fort over about a 30 yard track when she first started it an now she will usally run about 100 yards back an fort over the same track. But sje had stopped after the first few times an started to do it again latly. i havent hunted her but maybe 3 or 4 times since she started it up again so im hoping it isnt to late to try an correct her from it. She opens alot on the ground when she is doing this compared to when she is runing a coon an puts a tree on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

have you tried to single her out and hunt her alone. i dont mean a drop here and there, but just her alone for a couple weeks or more?
its hard to make a good guess without actually hunting with her.
most young dogs only hunted with other dogs never are any farther then started on track when you take them alone. they may run a hot easy coon,but on a older smart coon or older track they dont have the track sense. they get to a spot where they can't move it and then quit it and come back or they go back and fourth confused because they can't move it. they get stuck on going back and fourth where they can smell it.
i would hunt her alone,if she gets stuck and starts the stupid stuff go in and unstick her,move her the way you think the track goes. try and get her a little farther on it. or just move on to another spot and let her try another track. if you can't get her to come off and come to you so you can,put a shocker on her and get some control of the whole deal. the more she has to figure the tracks out alone the better she should get at doing it and the less and less she will have to be moved on by you.just guessing i will guess she is a wound up full of energy type dog.them type alot of times just have to be let go and let them do what ever they are gonna do till they are worn down enough that they can think. its kinda like they just have too much energy and they nut up and rush back and fourth or bounce off all 4 corners of the woods in a hyper frenzie cause they can smell the coon but they are too wound up to slow down and try to work it out. they got to be worn down so thier brain slows enough to actually use it with thier nose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks tc i havent hunted her much alone but one of the time when i did she treed a coon an had it. these seem like some smart tips from what i can tell by reading some of your post a "wise man" when it comes to coon hunting. An thanks for all the others that replied to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bullet time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Its so dry really tuff on young dogs..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes it hasnt rained in for ever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I'd single her out .... A lot of times young dogs pick up bad habit. I'd take her alone until she finds herself when she's been runnin for a while by herself prolly around 2 years old then u can start huntin her with other dogs. And I find if u shoot a coon out to her and don't let her touch it let her go nuts a lot of times they will make them run a track harder then they've ever ran before
She's young. Give her time