CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It put a smile on my face.

Hound hunting other game animals other than coon. just sharing my thoughts on other game. Just my thoughts and my tast of these animals.

Bobcats, good test of a hound, very allusive a good test of a hound. No fight. tree once pressured by the hounds. easy to kick out of a tree to run again. But a challange for any hound to master.

Bear, good sent trail but the hound has to have grit to tree and lots of pressure every once in a wile you hit an old bore that would rather fight on the ground than tree. your in for a long day and many miles.

Mointain lions hard to find a runable track takes dedication to find a track. You have to have fast hounds put pressure quick, not willing to fight a hound unless cornered.

Hogs, you better have a total grit hound, worst game animal to hunt, many uneducated hounds will not see the next day, I have allot of respect for the hounds that do this day in and day out,

We often think because we have a great coon hound, that we have a great hound. some cross over to big game hounds, but we play in a game rich enviorment. It is a differrent game a hard game. how many hunters can't go out and tree a coon in a hour, try to do that on a bear, bobcat, lion. it is a total different life style. Not taking away what we do as coon hunters, we have a blast and life is good, we don't have the problem of finding a track, most of the time, The only time we have a hard time is when it gets really cold out and the coons stay in.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for sharing these thoughts and observations. I have often thought about hunting bobcats with hounds, but I have yet to meet anyone that does it. Whenever I ask everyone I know about it they all say you can't because they wont tree or stay treed long enough for you to get to them. I've also been told that the dogs can't keep up with the cat or it's not possible to keep up with the dogs trailing a cat. I'm kinda hardheaded and still entertain the idea of hunting specifically for bobcats with hounds still yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

kaspar wrote:
Thanks for sharing these thoughts and observations. I have often thought about hunting bobcats with hounds, but I have yet to meet anyone that does it. Whenever I ask everyone I know about it they all say you can't because they wont tree or stay treed long enough for you to get to them. I've also been told that the dogs can't keep up with the cat or it's not possible to keep up with the dogs trailing a cat. I'm kinda hardheaded and still entertain the idea of hunting specifically for bobcats with hounds still yet.

Guy Bobcats are a true test of a hound by far. Of all the game houndmen pursue. You have to do it during the daylight to make them stick in a tree. ( I am just talking here because I have never seen a bobcat leave a tree in the daylight) Outherwise they jump most of the time, In the dark, Thats what I have been told by houndmen I trust. I just run coons now. I have treed alot of bobcats, but it was in the daylight. I canot say about the night because I have never treed one at night That I know of. You have to have speed in the hound and the ability to drift a track. The hound has to be able to close the distance even on a bad track or a hot one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

dogs have run bobcats out of the coon woods before. all 3 occations multiple trees but they WILL bail 9 times out of ten in the dark. bobcat by far the hardest critter for a dog to trail and tree IMO. It takes an extremely athletic dog and a good nose. In my experience one to two dogs MAX on a bobcat, anything more is not
necessary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It's true that a coon is not even close to the hardest animal to run up a tree. From what i've seen, it is still just as hard to find an extremely consistent coon dog as it is any other kind of hound.

An old houndsman once told me dogs are like althletes, most are best at one sport, and that's the one they play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My grandpaw and great uncle have told me many tails of dogs that would tree coon and squerel catch hogs and work cattle with the same old cur dog..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I still think it takes more from a dog to tree a coon than it does a lion or a bear. maybe a bear takes alot of pressure to get to tree, but as far as im concerned runnin a bear is like is like chasin a 300 pound dumpster, loads of scent, and its all sight treeing, same with lions. for a dog to run a coon or a bobcat and locate a tree 100% on scent, now thats a dog. I have never run bears so im no expert, but lions, bears, alot of your trees the dogs will see the critter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

SammyAlex wrote:
My grandpaw and great uncle have told me many tails of dogs that would tree coon and squerel catch hogs and work cattle with the same old cur dog..

I have been told many times about lepord Curs doing a great job and are impressive, I have never ran with one so I can't tell you first hand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:29 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

montananative wrote:
I still think it takes more from a dog to tree a coon than it does a lion or a bear. maybe a bear takes alot of pressure to get to tree, but as far as im concerned runnin a bear is like is like chasin a 300 pound dumpster, loads of scent, and its all sight treeing, same with lions. for a dog to run a coon or a bobcat and locate a tree 100% on scent, now thats a dog. I have never run bears so im no expert, but lions, bears, alot of your trees the dogs will see the critter.

Just a coversation No big deal, not saying one hound is better than the other. There are many that play on all fields. But the game is what makes the chase better or worse. I have been on maybe fifty Bear trees and that took a few years. around 100 bobcats that took a few years and a couple mountain lions and that took many years. The population of the game animals at that time was a factor and probabley still is, I will give you that hands down. But I remember one bear chase very well, it was up eleven mile creek in Oregon, Dad and I followed that track from the time we started it as a cold track to the time we jumped it, that was maybe two miles. From that time on our hounds bayed it and when we got close the game was on again. The bear killed one of the hounds and after sixteen miles faught off the rest of the six hounds. Big bore bears are No joke. Coons yes they lay down a similar trail but one hound can dispatch them and when is the last time you couldn't tree 50 or more coons in a Fall hunt let alone a full season. I take nothing away from Coon hounds because the good ones that run coons can do the same on other game. Some get trained so hard on coons they Will not run other game because they think it is trash, I have seen that also. So please don't get me wroung I would never down grade a hound that just runs Coons Thats what they were trained to do. But coons are very easy because they outnumber anything else. when is the last time you heard of anyone treeing seven bears, Lion's, or bobcat's in two hours. That will never happen, but we as coon hunters can do it. I am just talking. Heck I have treed five coons in one tree before in 15 minutes, the best you will ever do on a bear is tree a sow and three of her cubs in a day our mabey three bear on diferent runs.yes I have seen that, but that was a real long day that started at 3:00 am.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

your right sarge, the pure number of coons in the woods is a definate plus to catching more game. you have been in the hound game far longer than i and so im speaking mostly from what i read and gather from other houndsmen who have been doing it a long time, i have been on some bobcat races and they are tough to tree and a welcome challenge for me and my dogs! bears i dont have any intention on treeing, ive put to much effort into making them what they are to get swatted and killed by a big boar, however i have also come to accept these dogs can get killed runnin anything!! weather its getting swatter by a bear, slashed by a lion, or drowned by a coon!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well guys ive hunted all the game you talk about last couple years. ran my coon dogs on it all and ill tell you what none of it is easy!!!

coons, i run em night and day and it takes a pretty fair dog to be consistently accurate. our climate gives us every kind of weather from perfect to crap and we hunt it all.

bobcats, tough as anything to track pull some fast ones on the dogs for sure.

now to what i wanted to talk about bear, everyone says its so easy. LOL. alright guys whens the last time your coondog ran 18 miles on a coon? whens the last time a coon could kill your dog anytime it wanted to? reason i say 18 miles thats the longest run ive had on garmin where kept reception and we caught bear.

i got some dang tough coondogs but they have sure gotten there butts handed running both bear and bobbers time and time again. both are tough but until youve ran your coondogs on both or either its hard to say what your packing. LOL.

i like coon, dogs usually do good. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:41 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

montananative wrote:
your right sarge, the pure number of coons in the woods is a definate plus to catching more game. you have been in the hound game far longer than i and so im speaking mostly from what i read and gather from other houndsmen who have been doing it a long time, i have been on some bobcat races and they are tough to tree and a welcome challenge for me and my dogs! bears i dont have any intention on treeing, ive put to much effort into making them what they are to get swatted and killed by a big boar, however i have also come to accept these dogs can get killed runnin anything!! weather its getting swatter by a bear, slashed by a lion, or drowned by a coon!

Very well put Coons in the water are no joke. I had a Cameron female Named Ruby II If a coon got in the water (Or on land) it was dead period. She saved many a hound here with coons in the water. one heck of a hound and I will always miss her. She had only one fault something that I didn't even think was possible from the bloodlines she came from. No nose period couldn't smell a track if the coon was on the other side of the road a ME TOO hound. I gave her away with a hound that could smell anything but had No guts to engage a coon. togeather they made the ultimate hound as one good hound. One of these days I will regrete getting rid of Ruby II, because I may loose a hound in the water, without her. But you have to have a full hound, something you can relly on day in and day out and you can't keep them all, I will miss her period, one heck of a killing machine and a protector of hounds in trouble in the water :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sarge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

mnb&t wrote:
well guys ive hunted all the game you talk about last couple years. ran my coon dogs on it all and ill tell you what none of it is easy!!!

coons, i run em night and day and it takes a pretty fair dog to be consistently accurate. our climate gives us every kind of weather from perfect to crap and we hunt it all.

bobcats, tough as anything to track pull some fast ones on the dogs for sure.

now to what i wanted to talk about bear, everyone says its so easy. LOL. alright guys whens the last time your coondog ran 18 miles on a coon? whens the last time a coon could kill your dog anytime it wanted to? reason i say 18 miles thats the longest run ive had on garmin where kept reception and we caught bear.

i got some dang tough coondogs but they have sure gotten there butts handed running both bear and bobbers time and time again. both are tough but until youve ran your coondogs on both or either its hard to say what your packing. LOL.

i like coon, dogs usually do good. LOL

Matt you have some great hounds, I have seen that myself and I hope I turned you on to some good bloodlines and some seniors that are a cut above. You are one heck of a houndman young buck :D :D :D I am finally in the woods again and it has been great. Well done Matt well done :D :D :D

Sarge