CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

so all this time ive been hunting my dog alone has hurt her? I dont know any other coon hunters and I wanna just pleasure hunt her.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

green horn. no anything is good. wether its by herself or not. i was just asking would it be time for mine to be by herslef.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

any time you hunt a dog alone is good. They learn something especially a young dog. got a pup that will tree on its own? hunt him alone . I hunt all my dogs alone alot. easier to handle and will make them a better dog and independant. split treeing dogs.you might have some messed up hunts with out old faithful but your dogs will learn to hunt alone, in fact Learning to hunt alone then with other dogs one trick to haveing a really nice coon dog.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Do you think taking a pup alone to the woods time and time again can get it to start hunting if never around older dogs? Ive worked it with a drag and caged coons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

tja51horns wrote:
Do you think taking a pup alone to the woods time and time again can get it to start hunting if never around older dogs? Ive worked it with a drag and caged coons.

only thing another dog does is tree coon and help you expose the pup to coon easier and help get a pup to want to get after them.
another dog, no matter how good a coon dog it is, does NOT teach a pup to track or tree.
hunting the pup alone you have to fill the spot of the other dog and expose it to coon to get the pup to want to get after them. the instinct and ability is bred into a coonhound breed ( or suppose to be bred in anyway) to track ,wind, locate and tree bark for anything it wants. (i've said and PROVED IT a bunch of times, a 5 week old pup can track and tree bark on a cooked hotdog with all the same instincts and actions it will use on a coon , no one taught the lil pup to do it, they just got it want hotdogs).
you have to expose them to coon and get it to want them bad enough to use those same bred in tools it used as a pup on a hotdog on a coon..
but , a pup alone may find a few things other then coon to track and tree left to just run loose in the woods with no idea of what its looking for.. release some coon out of that worthless cage and let the pup try and get after it so it has at least some pre hunt exposer to coon more in the way of hunting them down and treeing them.
to me the only thing a coon in a cage is good for is to turn it out for the pup to go find it.
the thing about using another dog with a pup that does help some other then making it easier and exposing it to more coon faster, is by the other dog getting in there and treeing a coon so it gives the pup less time to screw off and find something other then a coon to mess with.. good luck with your pup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

when to hunt a dog alone..................... Always..................

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my vary best dog was started alone hunted alone the first two years i had him. only saw 13 coon first hide season. at 3 on most nights we se 7 ta 10 in 3 hours. started a pup with him. will he likes to run coon. had same problem as you when trying to hunt him alone. so me i will put the work in first for now on. pups started with our pet coon then drag. the hide in seek with kids that can run then to the woods we go. be some nights or 5 6 hour hunts for one coon but ill just take some friends to bull with as the pup works one up. and have some fun. may do a bit of fishing.