CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is my dog running?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How do I figure out if my dog is running trash? Whats the difference in the speed and track of a coon than a deer or fox? I have a garman and watch what the dog is doing but I'm having trouble knowing if I should shock or not. The dog trees coons but sometimes gets on a track that will circle around in a 1/4 mile loop and then go straight for a 1/2 mile and then may loop again and average about 5 miles an hour on speed for over an hour or more. I'm thinking deer but really don't know for sure and I don't want to ruin the dog because he does tree coons and stays till you get there.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

cb i dont know for sure and i dont know what kind of country your hunting in, but if you was hunting around here i would say its a fox your dog is running. ive had plenty of dogs run deer and they will run em with their heads up spitting it out every breath nearly and really makeing time on em cause deer leaves alot of scent running. fox around here runs like you decribed and they will be some breakdowns in the tracks unlike most deer. in the spring when the fox has little ones they will bark at a dog to get them running them to get the dogs away fron their youngins, and when the dog stops, the fox will get on side of the mountain and start barking at the dogs again and its off to the races again. sometimes i dont know which one iam maddest at, the fox are my dogs.lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't feel bad since my good non trash dog is bout to have puppies. Im left with two real young possum runners who tree as many possums as coons.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: What is my dog running?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like a fox to me see if you can find someone with a fox pen close to you then see for sire if he will run a fox good luck

Outdoor Hub mobile,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Id walk in there. And catch em. If he's running deer that slow your in trouble. May be just big boars. I've ran two races this week that most would say there running fast game. Smoke 3/4 mile and caught a big boar both times.

I would just hunt in not worry about it. You go to pushing that button your libel to be looking for another dog on here.
I had a friend. With two real nice b/t he broke them off deer and one night dogs struck track and come to road a big buck jumped up and he went to shocking them they jumped in truck and never ran a track ever again. He didn't. Trust his hounds in payed for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the replies....this dog is a 2yr old nt ch and is very good about having the coon but the last couple hunts he has struck and will track in circles then line out 5 to 6 hundred yards and circle around again straight line about the same and sometimes into the wind and sometimes not.....seems to be more open on this and just about time I feel he is going to tree he will shut up for a few minutes and then start moving off in another direction. Each time I finally got close enough to call him off but didn't see what it was and didn't see any tracks.
I know of one fox pen over in MS and may take him over there if he does this again. Just never know what will happen when dealing with this crazy fun sport of coon hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

deer will run in half moon or a circle and then run straight, a fox will just run in circles......

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like the fox pen idea. if it was me I would turn him loose on a deer one nite and see if he runs it, when he does then you know to go ahead and shock him. if he is a nitch he shouldnt be thinkin bout nothin but that coon. Thats just one way we have broke dogs from that, as long as it aint no young dog then you would stop them from runnin anything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Turned loose in a grass patch with a few deer and he went through it and struck then 20 minutes later had a boar coon in a white oak. Turned loose again and he went about 200 yards, struck and 15 minutes later had a big boar coon in a giant water oak. Maybe we got the kinks out :D and can get back to these normal hunts. i know I feel a lot better with the way he did tonight.