CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ive got a dog thats about 18 months old and she just doesnt seem interested. she will run a track good. she will go hunting good. for the most part. ex. the other night we went she went with the other dogs about 4-5 hundred yards. the other dogs kept going and she stopped and mossied around for a few minutes and came back to us. i just ignored her and by that time the other dogs had struck . we started walking that way way and she stayed at my feet. i kept ignoring her and she went on towards the other dogs but didnt get into them. she went the other way and hunted a little and while we were in to the dogs she wetback to the truck. just doesnt seem like she wants to GO GET the coon. what do i need to do to get her to want a coon really bad. shes treed dead coons and treed really good. basically what do i need to do. give her time? let her get bout eat up? get her on some easy coons that she will run and knock them out to her or what? i really need help this dog looks like she will make a good one. any info or ideas will help. thanks.!

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'd just keep hunting her, i think every dog goes through a spell where they kinda lose interest or confidence. Hunt her alone and just ignore her if she stays by you til she goes out. Or you could try cutting a coon out for her, let her tree it and put some fur in her mouth. I would just keep hunting her, eventually she'll get back in the groove.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would hunt her alone. take her alone with no other dogs in the box and hunt her alone and see if she shows anything differant.
there are 2 kinds of independants in these dogs.
one is independant to run and tree coon where it thinks the coon is no matter what the other dogs do.
the second is a anti social independants where they ain't gonna do much if anything at all if other dogs are involved or even in the woods they are in.
some are born anti social and some are made anti social by people trying to break them of face barking and other faults around other dogs.
or other dogs doing the breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

okay well last night we went i took her with other dogs. they struck and ran a bobcat and she ran the track with the other dogs and did good. we caught all of the dogs and on the next drop she went about 150 yards with the other dogs and then came back i ignored her. the other dogs struck.then she went up about 500 yards on the track the other dogs went on before they struck. we drove on over to another road to see if we could hear the other dogs and left her in there. we found out it was closer to the tree from where we turned loose so we went back. we got over there and she headed back to us and followed us to the tree and hunted some on the way. we got in the to the other dogs and tied them all back. she was hunting when we got in there but came in there not long after so i tied her. the coon was up a tree no bigger than your wrist in a few grape vines. the coon was seen plain as day and wasnt 10 to 12 feet off the ground. she had to of seen it and wouldnt lay a bark. we was walkin it out and i got like 8 feet from the ground and tried to hang up. we shook the tree and she looked up there and stared. she saw it but still wouldnt tree a lick. is that just lack of treeing smarts or what.