CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: back tracking
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would have to disagree on the training pups with older dogs. I bought a 6 month old english from catfish rollings Out of GRNITCH Wilcox Rollin Thunder the old man was in his 80s and in a wheel chair. I went picked up the pup the next day I took the pup out and laid down a drag for him he ran and treed the very first time he had ever laid eyes on a coon. I didnt do anything but put him in the woods, walkin him up and down creeks and around swamps. I can turn him loose now at the truck and he will tree coons on a regular basis, needs no help nor has he ever needed any help. I can hunt him with any dog around and he manages to get to himself 80% of the time and have his own coon, not saying that the other dogs aint treein coons but hunting him alone has made him independent and not a me to dog. So I think its just luck of the draw, it's like buying a lottery ticket you win some you loose some, the same thing with dogs some have it in them some dont, cull the ones that dont and move on to the next. Good luck and happy hunting.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree 100% with david harris, and candian hillbilly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

One more thing on billy d's post. if you have trouble with the pup back tracking and you take him and put him with older dogs again he will not be learning because you are teaching him that if he cant figure it out on his own, wouldnt that just teach him to just follow the other dogs. Thats where the culling comes back in to play depending on the pups age.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

david harris wrote:
One more thing on billy d's post. if you have trouble with the pup back tracking and you take him and put him with older dogs again he will not be learning because you are teaching him that if he cant figure it out on his own, wouldnt that just teach him to just follow the other dogs. Thats where the culling comes back in to play depending on the pups age.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Me too dogs are made, not born. One general practice that I see a lot is to hold young dogs till the others strike and then send them in. So much of that is alright, but a whole lot of it is not good. There comes a time that the young dog should be turned loose first by himself and hold the others.

Back tracking dogs are made, not born. A young dog does not teach himself or train himself on which way to trail a track. The more he is hunted and start backtracking the worse he will get. Some where soon you have to get this dog straightened out. Hunting with older dog will do it. If he don't pick it up from a good teacher, give him an F and shoot him, not sell him for $100 and say hunt the hair off him.

Now folks, I fully understand that some dogs have it and some don't. Them that don't are the ones that I'm talking about needs help and not turned loose and let hunt. I fully understand the difference between training a country coon dog for your pleasure and training one for competition. All dogs are not competition material but just about any good bred coon dog will make a good country coon dog if handled right when he is young. Another thing, just your opinions about training dogs, in other words keep your opinions of me to yourself...................

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well maybe you need to get you some good boots and and put that pup in the woods by himself. Or just keep putting him with the other dogs because you dont want to train him, wanting the other dogs to do all the work. I have a young started dog if you want somethin to cull that backtrackin pup. he is a year and a half garunteed not to back track, and will be at the tree when you get there. But I will keep my opinions to myself like you asked. everyone needs to learn to train pups on their own. good luck and happy hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

david harris wrote:
Well maybe you need to get you some good boots and and put that pup in the woods by himself. Or just keep putting him with the other dogs because you dont want to train him, wanting the other dogs to do all the work. I have a young started dog if you want somethin to cull that backtrackin pup. he is a year and a half garunteed not to back track, and will be at the tree when you get there. But I will keep my opinions to myself like you asked. everyone needs to learn to train pups on their own. good luck and happy hunting.

good reads david harris! my best dogs by far are the couple that got hunted a lot alone when they were pups.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 am 
IP:
i was not reading anything into it that was not there just like you said instinct is what tells them to track forward thats my point exaclyif its in them to be track dog they will be an if its in them to back track they will do it its instict no amount of hunting with another dog will fix inheritated trait an your also right about starting a dog on its own an putting a set of walking boots on but if its in them it will come to them all on there own starting a dog alone wont give you the satisfaction of treeing coon all the time letting that pup ride along on a track he could not handle or figure it out on its own then probably get the reward on the tree an wonder why they have a me to wont do nothin alone an the plain an simple fact is if your dog is actually running tracks backward an not just losing them an starting over you will never fix that problem slow them down some maybe teach them not to do it when your around probably not trying to pee in your cheerios but what i have told you is the truth i am here to tell you real coonhounds an coonhunters spend alot of lonely boring frustrating nites making a top notch hound an alot of them hunt them young dogs all alonean they never rely on that other dog or worry about what them other dogs are doing thats a fact

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

You don't have to take my word for the backtracking dogs. Just read the post on here, bunches of them, folks having problems with their dog backtracking, 2, 3, 4 years old. That dog wasn't born with that instinct. He was just trained wrong, or let train himself. You train your dogs and make good coon dog, you did it right, some people don't have any idea how to train a dog and they do it wrong. The only thing about it is that when you train a good dog, you either keep him or sell him for a good price, the other guy that has the bad dog, blames the dog and either gives him away, trade him for another like him or sell him at a bargain price. The dog will go to his grave backtracking. I have a high bred 7 year old b&t that was 2 when I got him and didn't know what a coon was. He has always run outside and started going to the woods on his own. He will tree coon after coon, but sometimes he gets hung up on a track and wears it out going back and forth. He never learned on his own how to get his head up and carry a bad track. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he sure nuff throws some good pups...........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not tryin to be smart or anything. But with all seriousnes aside what all training has that pup had meaning, drags caged coon etc.? other than hunting with other dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

lol sorry bout that all jokes aside.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Oh well...........