CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have 2 8 month old pups that I think are going to make some really good hounds. They hate coon and are the type of dogs that really want to make you happy. They both can tree drags and released coon. I just got a 8 year old dog to run with them with to help them along with putting it together. This older dog will find coon if they are moveing at all, he will only hunt coon ( we actually walked by a possum a couple feet above us in a tree on our way to a coon he had), and goes deep if he has to. All around a great dog. The only thing i worry about the pups learning from him is that he is not a "Get out of Town" type of dog. When he is cut he doesnt go tearing through the woods like so many do. He just goes in at a jogging pace and gets the job done. Ive only had 2 chances to hunt him with the pups before the snow shut us down. THe first night i ran him with my mable pup, she opened on track for the first time. and stayed right with him until the woods got really bad (dozens of downed trees in state land). I assume this is from her being able to actually have time to process the track for herself, instead of trying to keep up with the get out of town dogs she is use to tagging along with. While i like this, since i hope to competetion hunt them, i want them to have that "GO" in them when they are done learning from him. Is there a way to put that in them after they are done learning?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I dont know of any way to do it. I think 9 times out of 10, that would be bred into a dog. a trait of a certain line of dogs, but im no expert. sounds like that older dog you got is a nice dog and great to teach them pups a thing or two. Them real hard hunting dogs are nice sometimes, but ive hunted with them and more times than not they are a pain in the ##*%*. hard to handle, hard to catch, and will strait leave the country if nothin is movin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion is rather them learn from that older dog and then you can keep up with them. Not a big fan of chasing hounds all over hells half acre.. but that's just me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I work with a guy who comp hunts has a gr nite dog . The other guys at work was poken fun who has the best dog. So we when hunten a couple guys at work whent a long we, cut them loose . His dog busts in the woods. Ol queenie walks off an trees. We go she has a coon knock it out an cut her again she trees. Knock it out . Me two he trees his first 1.5 mile deep. Ol queenie got to lay up on the way to him. Just because they go dont mean they are better an a good enjoyible dog can win comp hunts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Redbone33 is right. those dogs that sprint off into the woods will run right over runable tracks. ive seen the exact same thing he is talking about before

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok, thanks. Been out the last couple nights and nothing but den trees. But just a couple trips with the older dog and these pups are hitting the trees right along with him. Wish the coon would move to give then a atkeast warn track to follow. I guess what I thought about the digs that get out quick had a better shot of getting struck first since they were covering more ground then the slower ones.