CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: me too dog
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:54 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

A very good read there skeets. I've never hunted in the mountains, although I'm from Arkansas, the mountains don't cover the part that I've always hunted. Them bluffs sound tough.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thank you billy d, sometimes them bluffs get pretty rough but if it was easy my granny would coon hunt lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

to me a me to dog is just part of the training process.

If your not armed your a victim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

pistolwhip wrote:
to me a me to dog is just part of the training process.

That's what I'm talking about. If you catch them back trackers and me toos soon enough and know how to handle the situation they can be turned into some pretty good country coon dogs. So don't always blame the dog for doing wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i been told that a dog that consistently runs the backtrack is mostly a breed in trait( lack of brains to figure things out). so how would you handle a backtracker billy?? intersted in your response, thanks

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i really dont think a backtracker can be fixed, if it can i sure would like to know how. ive never been able to stop it, when i had a back tracker i always thought the dog would rather trail and didnt have enough treeing instinct bred in them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:53 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

You should have been reading all the above and paying attention. It is all discussed as the thread moved along. As I have said, a back tracking dog picked up the habit, and it is a habit, and not his breeding, but if he had been trained right from the get go, he would have never started backtracking. (Like some of our college graduates that still can't read and write, but yet advanced through school. If they would have had a personal hands on teacher that could read and write, they could have been taught, very simple.) I will say again. You just don't single out a dumb dog before he learns. You take the dog by him self and if he starts backtracking, you just don't keep taking him and letting him get worse and worse. You send him directly back to school, either with good sound dog or hands on with drags and turn outs. That way you know that he is going in the right direction. If you take him by him self and he slick trees or go back and forth on track, you should snap and realize that he is not ready to be hunted by himself. But here is where most give up, blame the dog and move him on. In other words you got to be smarter than the dog. It is my opinion, and probably mine only, that a lot of dogs were ruined just on this one account. The dog that you pick up from someone else that backtracks, was passed on for some reason, just think about it, is too far along and probably not worth fooling with and needs shooting. Disclaimer: Regardless of training, sometimes most all dogs will back track. BTW last night, 3 dogs, split treed, got one, and the other single dog was a big tree, couldn't find anything, wasn't my dog and might have been one of them dumb back trackers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

oh ok, i thought the thread as it moved along was about me too dogs, didnt read any words bout backtrackers and how to handle them unitl i asked you.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

what do you do if the backtracking dog is seasawing a track while the other dog your training him with is in their bout a mile treed? both of them are on the same coon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
what do you do if the backtracking dog is seasawing a track while the other dog your training him with is in their bout a mile treed? both of them are on the same coon.

That's easy. Cut you a hickory sprout about the size of your thumb and 3 ft. long. put your leash on him, loosen his hide with hickory stick, unsnap him, and send him on. You may even have to lead him to tree if he don't get the message. That baby talking and little switching just won't get through to some of them.

ghosthunter wrote:
oh ok, i thought the thread as it moved along was about me too dogs, didnt read any words bout backtrackers and how to handle them unitl i asked you.....

ghosthunter: Lesson #1. Pay attention. If you would have been reading the backtracking thread you would have stayed up. I answered your question where you ask it. But like I said, paying attention is the hard part. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

dilly weed, your a dummy, pay attention yankee, i have a college education, and id love to see u in the octagon, no wonder why noone takes you serious on here, just ask around :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:07 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

ghosthunter wrote:
dilly weed, your a dummy, pay attention yankee, i have a college education, and id love to see u in the octagon, no wonder why noone takes you serious on here, just ask around :mrgreen:

ghosthunter: you seem like a pretty nice kid, with that bran new college education and a fair to middling coon dog, so why do you say the things you say. You don't even know me. And besides, there's nothing to be ashamed of if you can't pay attention. You ain't the first one that finished college with A. D. D. Even I had a touch of it when I finished 60 years ago. But, believe me you will grow out of it, I did. That is if you live long enough. I don't know how old you are, but I would say in your 20s. Think about it, big boy, it don't take no rocket scientist to figure out that there are quiet a few years between you and I. I cannot ever remember not having a coon dog or 3 or 4. Now add all those years up and then fill in the blank with dogs. That will probably be more dogs than you will ever have. I breed and raise what I hunt. Every now and then I will buy one. But,,,,,I do not pass my junk on to someone else and tell them to hunt the hair off them. I either make the, break them, or shoot them. Oh well!!! And as far as people taking me serious, I don't worry about that. But it does make for a good read. Huh?

Post subject: me too dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

billy d wrote:
skeets wrote:

That's easy. Cut you a hickory sprout about the size of your thumb and 3 ft. long. put your leash on him, loosen his hide with hickory stick, unsnap him, and send him on. You may even have to lead him to tree if he don't get the message. That baby talking and little switching just won't get through to some of them.

Do you honestly believe that dog will know why it's getting beat? There's no problem with a good old fashion switching for the right reason, but the dog has to know why he's getting it!! How do you know that dog will equate that beating with him backtracking?

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Well hillbilly, it's sorta a rule of thumb, catch a dog doing something he ain't supposed to be doing and give him a beating usually breaks him from the habit. That is if applied right and enough times. Some dogs that tree possums, kill chickens, kill goats, run cars, etc. are hard to break. But if caught in the act and a good old fashioned whipping applied right, after a couple times they will get the message. My favorite one is dogs chasing cars. The owner will say I hate that dog chasing them cars but I've tried everything and I just can't stop him. I'm here to tell you that I can stop one from chasing cars in nothing flat. Just Friday night I saw one jerked off a deer race and give a pretty good, I hate to say beating, which ain't political correct in this day, so I will say a gentle trash breaking lesson in the woods at night, and I bet that dog knows what it was all about. I believe that any dog caught in the act of doing something and you correct him with enough force that he will know what he is getting it for and after a couple treatments he will quit the habit. Just like I said about that backtracking. Just one little wrap across the nose with a little limb full of leaves, and a please stop this, just ain't gonna do it. I have never whipped a dog that he wasn't glad to see me the next time I walked up to him with a feed bowl. I sure like that picture. Is that you with them musk rats?