CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:38 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Ezra, I think you did a good job of talking about the balance needed when using the hands on method. Don't really disagree with much of your posts but, while you state the shock collar has ruined many a dog, you do not affirm the same with the "hand to hand" method. Folks, Bark collars, shock collars are all part of the equation- if you can afford them by all means get them- use them wisely and judiciously. If you need to use a shock collar on a hound- say a trash runner- and you and need repeated sessions cause he's so hard headed, have to use a higher level of stimulation and you "ruin him"- uh... what exactly have you ruined????? and if the hound is that set on running trash you ain't getting him broke any quicker beating the heck outta him. The same hound that would get ruined by of the shock collar would most certainly be ruined by beating him to get the same point across wouldn't he? and isn't it easier to judiciously and prudently use a shock collar than it would be to judiciously and prudently use the hit a dog into submission. Of course it is- much less emotion involved and much easier to think clearer and make a good decision about correction. Paul Conway.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:17 am 
IP:
i think it all depends on the dog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:51 am 
IP:
nick(walkers r the best) wrote:
never smack a dog in the face...a wack on the nose or anything....they will loose their respect for you

I haven't had that experience. I do swat my dogs on the nose because A) that really gets their attention more than a swat on the rump and B) it's a more "personal" swat that shows more clearly my displeasure. In my opinion bops on the nose aren't meant to hurt, they're meant more to well, shame the dog for his actions. If my dog is a jerk, I want him to feel bad rather than be afraid of the consequences. But then I have dogs that want to please me and therefore punishment rarely involves pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Funny that I read this today. About an hour ago, I went outside and my hound was helping herself to some food out of the compost pile. This has been a battle for the last week or so. She breaks the fence and sticks her head through, then I go out and discipline her. Well today I caught her doing it and through a soft ball at her butt. The ball wasn't soft enough not to hurt, but hard enough to sting her and get her attention. When she turned around to see where it came from, I was all the way across the yard. She hasn't been near the compost pile in the last hour.

A shock collar is mostly the same thing. You are delivering the correction remotely, and the dog associates the pain with the undesirable behavior, not you. I don't see any problem with using a training collar, if done right.

My problem is people who beat their dogs for every minor incident. This alone has broken up at least one friendship that I had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:12 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I always handle discipline with my energy and tone of voice, seems to work really well. Hitting usually never works and only results in making the dog skittish or aggressive and ruins your relationship/trust with the dog. I could see using a switch every so often with a problem dog in the woods but never using my hands/arms.....

Home of:
GRCH PR WILKINSON'S JEBB *2ND & 5TH PLACE TO NITECH*
NITECH GRCH PR MORGAN'S LOSSES HILLS DAWN
*4 WINS TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD HUNT QUALIFIED*
*#2 UKC CURRENT TOP REPRODUCING PLOTT FEMALE*
CH PR GIMME THREE STEPS MISTER *3RD PLACE TO NITECH*
PR SHEZA BAD MAMMA JAMMA
PR MISTER'S TWISTED SISTER

Proud Handler of:
NITECH CH PR WILKINSON'S THOR
*1 WIN TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD NITE HUNT QUALIFIED*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

there is nothing wrong with hiting a dog as long as u dont over do it. u should not hit a dog that is timide because that will have terrible results. but a dog that acts normal and is not shy a good thump over the head is just what they need to get stratend out. your relation ship with the dog is not ruined you just let the dog know that u are the master and it must do what u want it to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 pm 
IP:
To what point will you go to enforce a command? What degree of discipline will you go to when your dog simply will NOT obey? Will you beat the dog? What if that doesn't work? What if the dog will not do whatever it is you want, I mean WON'T do it?

I had a walker that simply would NOT stop barking. I yelled, I escalated to smacking him and then I put a bark collar on. He kept barking--for him barking was worth the shock. He was ill to begin with and it was escalating. I never put 2 and 2 together that it was the collar; the shocks were just making him angrier. Before I realized how dangerous he'd become he killed my other dog.

That's an extreme example, but it all started with simple barking. I have a new bluetick pup (11 months) and he was basically allowed to do whatever he wanted. Not an ill bone in his body and I don't want to beat him into being ill over his not following a command.

How far do you escalate the discipline, and what if the dog simply won't do it (when he knows what you want)?

Post subject: Re: Hitting your dog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'll add one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. If you discipline a dog 'after the fact', like after it does something wrong, it will have no idea why it's being treated badly. You have to administer discipline when you catch the dog 'in the act'.

"If Heaven admitted by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
Mark Twain

SMALLTOWN, USA
http://jgcphotos.wordpress.com/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There is nothing wrong with hitting a dog but there are limitations! I have a mountain cur that used to bark like crazy in the kennel. I started yelling at her and that didn't do anything so I started thumping her a bit. She caught on real quick and cut it out! I had a walker that would bark a lot in the kennel too. I tried the same thing, start with yelling then thump her a bit and that still didn't work! Neighbors started compaining so I started hitting her harder. Thing is, I would hit her and hit her and she still barked! Finally I seen hitting this dog was pointless so I stopped. Well so did she!! I guess she was thinking she's not gunna quit barking til I stop hitting her. Every dog is different and some things work for one and not the other.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Old Jim wrote:
I'll add one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. If you discipline a dog 'after the fact', like after it does something wrong, it will have no idea why it's being treated badly. You have to administer discipline when you catch the dog 'in the act'.

this is correct! you have a split second to correct a dog, if the dog stops whatever it is you dont like for a couple seconds then you lost the chance to correct him that time, if you do, he doesnt know what its for

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

Post subject: Hitting your dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:54 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Also try never to dicipline your dog when your mad. Always keep a level head and u should never have a problem with a bit of constructive criticism.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinon, yelling to stop a dog from barking, other than hollering its name, is pointless. Dogs don't understand English just like I don't understand Chinese or French. To them you are barking also... Have a number of dogs that make long distance phone calls barking in the yard, even when I can't hear the other one. A swat on the rump along with a stern voice saying their name and no, has worked the best for me. But this is just my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm 
IP:
Coontyme wrote:
In my opinon, yelling to stop a dog from barking, other than hollering its name, is pointless. Dogs don't understand English just like I don't understand Chinese or French. To them you are barking also... Have a number of dogs that make long distance phone calls barking in the yard, even when I can't hear the other one. A swat on the rump along with a stern voice saying their name and no, has worked the best for me. But this is just my experience.

How are you able to do that though, my dogs are outside when I hear them barking and I am inside. Instant correction is definitely the way that would be best, but I don't know how you'd do that with barking dogs. When I step outside they quit barking because they are running towards me to play.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:16 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

As bad as this sounds go to pet smart .... buy a 60 bark coller and leave it on them! It should only take a few days and the will figure it out .... no bark no pain!!! Pretty simple!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just try this see if it helps get you a good switch , walk up to the dog and feed or what ever you do and when he starts barking pop him twiced make him feel it and say no keep repeating if the dog is older it will be hard to break of barking because somebody down the line did not correct this ... My pups get taught early I do not allow this and they do good obiedance is the first thing as a trainer you should do because you want there attention to be on you because your the boss ..