CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been doing a bit of reading and studying on this lately. Anybody here ever tried it? Sure would like to hear back from those that have.

Thanks, guys.
Jim

"If Heaven admitted by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
Mark Twain

SMALLTOWN, USA
http://jgcphotos.wordpress.com/

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if its not done with a dog i have no interest what so ever in it.
coyotes sure, deer sure. but to me the only way a coon should be hunted is at night with a dog. its all about the dogs.
i for one don't carry my coon out and sell them.. buzzards got to eat too.
fur buyer wants mine they can follow me around and carry them out them selves..they can save thier 4 bucks.
i go for one reason,i enjoy the dogs.
i watched them using the calls on tv before. i am glad in michigan you have to have a dog treed at the point of kill . other then the trapping of coon or damage causing coon, its the only way you can take coon in mich legally.. at night with a dog. and by law the dog has to tree it, no shinning .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I think that's a great law. Wish it was that way in ga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jeesh, guys, it was just a question, that's all. No need to get riled and talk down to me.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

No I'm not talking down. We jusy have a lot of kids that shine and shoot coons 2 and 3 nights a week

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have to agree, i could care less about the fur and otherwise with a coon, i bring em out and give em to my buddies who do mess with em. If it weren't for the dogs i wouldn't mess with a coon. Don't really see the point in spendin hours of time tryin to call something in like that. If you wanna try it, have at it but whatever you kill during the day is a few less than what you have to run at night. JMO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So because you don't approve of the way they hunt, they're wrong? That makes me wonder what's going to happen the first time I post about doing something in some manner that's different from the way others do it. That also makes me wonder if I fit here.

Ironically, just the other day, I sent Buckshot a PM telling him how much I enjoy the forum. Now I'm wondering when I'm going to get hit in the back.

I don't find fault with people unless they're hurting me or mine. Outside of that, I don't care what people do or how they do it.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have to agree useing a dog for coon i believe is what the definition of coon hunting is all about some people dont even have enough coon for dogs to run not talking down but a call for coon unless your trying to get him to look at ya is i think a radical way to find them shining should be against the law everywhere at least with the dogs it gives a coon if you intend to kill it a chance calling to me is like shooting squirrels in your back yard i wouldnt think either would be fun just my comment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:21 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

If it's all about the dogs as so many of you say, then why in the world do you shoot them out. Most of you shoot out every one you tree, let the dogs tear them to smittherings and then let them lay, as you say for the buzzards, they got to eat too. Now is this something to be proud of? Even the first one you shoot makes it 1 less to run the next time, 1 less for the kids to shoot head lighting, 1 less for the trapper that depends on the fur for a payday. So runem, treeem, listen to the dogs and get the satisfaction that you speak of and move on. If you have the right kind of dog, you won't even have to shoot out the first one. A dog don't have to have fur in his mouth to make a coon dog. A fox dog and coyote dog, don't have to have anything killed in front of them to run every night. And the rabbit dogs must not either. Think about how you answered this thread and give old jim some slack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Your our role model billy, you know everything, can i come and hunt with you?

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I've shot 3 coons all kil season and if I don't eat it I give it to someone that will I've gotten 3 different ppl coon hunting this year and I've probably seen 200 + coons I think its wrong to just call a coon or shine and shoot one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:43 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Old Jim wrote:
So because you don't approve of the way they hunt, they're wrong? That makes me wonder what's going to happen the first time I post about doing something in some manner that's different from the way others do it. That also makes me wonder if I fit here.

Ironically, just the other day, I sent Buckshot a PM telling him how much I enjoy the forum. Now I'm wondering when I'm going to get hit in the back.

I don't find fault with people unless they're hurting me or mine. Outside of that, I don't care what people do or how they do it.

i was'nt trying to hack on ya old jim. I did'nt intend it to come across that way.

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my neck of the woods the only good coon is a dead one I live in south Louisiana in a farming community we have so many coons it's unbelievable they are an extreme nuisance the crawfish farmers will sometimes have every single one of their crawfish traps flipped in a single night and thus is their living and they kill everyone from shining to poisoning them that why I took up trapping and fell in love with my bluetick I felt that this was wasting a good natural resource every coon that I kill is pelted and sold and all the meat is eaten not just by me when my freezer is stocked I'll clean them and give them away to people the newest farmer I just picked up killed so many during one crawfish season with a spot light he started keeping a tally about halfway through and killed 136 not counting the first half so I will kill them anyway I can from dog to trap to daytime calling every situation is different maybe if I went somewhere different where they werent such a nuisance I wouldn't kill everyone just my 2 cents

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hey Mr. Jim, I call coons in the daylight quite often. I have ALOT of old abandon houses,barns etc. in my trapping/hunting area. I usually set up outside an old house or barn where I know there's coon, lean up against a tree and squall them out. It's really quite efficient and fun at the same time.

For those of you who don't agree with hunting for fur that is your own opinion, and shouldn't be reason to put someone down. Fur of all types puts food on my table. Last year between the trapline and the dogs I put up 422 coons with an overall average of $14.75. I dont deal with fur buyers, and put up and ship all my own hides. This year I am just over 300 and haven't put them to auction yet. I take a lot of coons every year. I trap and hunt overall only about 2000 acres of private land, mostly farms and have hunted and trapped these same farms for over 20 years. For the last 11 years i have averaged between 200-500 coons a season and have seen no drop in population. Im an avid land manager, and put a lot of time and care into the land and animals I hunt and trap. If you care for and manage your hunting areas well, there should be no reason you can't harvest a good number of coons every year(if the coons are there to begin with)

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

as i said if they are problem coons i can understand calling u dont have to shoot every coon to a good dog and if i kill i use pelts and some of the meat im just getting my son in to hunting i told him that if you kill like squirels you use them dont kill just to kill its important to teach our kids the future land and animal managers all these things it would be nice if the authorities and hunting programs would catch and release some of the over populated coons to pleaces that coon are few using calls for problem coon are different from just killing them my oppion only god bless