CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I bought a 3 yr old dog off a man last october that he said hadn't had much of a chance, because the dog hadn't been hunted enough. I've only treed 3 coon with the dog all season, and they were HOT tracks i think. The dog doesn't go out & hunt too well by himself, but is an excellent tree dog. He's shown me quite a few dens, just not many coons. I've hunted him with a buddy's walker dog (which is a good solid dog) and we still tree nothin with the two of em. they act like they cant find a workable track. The weathers been messed up here in indiana this yr, so i'm wonderin if i should treat this dog like a pup, and just keep huntin him, because maybe he's NOT findin a workable track, or get another dog.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would say if he has showed some good signs he still has a chance to make a good coondog. Sounds like he just needs more experience. just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If this dog hasn't had much woods time, this is a difficult time to determine if a dog like that is gonna make it or not. Keep huntin him and wait til spring or summer to make your decision on him. If you've treed coon with him then he obviously has some ability. Don't give up on him just yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not sure on what all you have done with your training. But have you tried hunting him on a hot feeder bucket. If not I would suggest that to you. That will give you alot better chance of putting him on a hot track which is most defiantly what he needs. When he gets to treeing coons consistently then pull him off the feeders and hunt him from there. Good luck, and happy hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Actually, i have hunted him on feeder buckets twice. He treed on a den the first time, and ran a track a LONG ways the second, came a little too close to a road, so i pulled him off. Before these two times, i had never heard him open on track. He would just fall treed, and it usually was a den, with an occasional coon (3). These were the first two times i actually heard him run a good track. Thats what's makin me think that maybe he's not findin any good tracks to run, and he's hot nosed. OR i found an honest coon hunter, who told me the truth about the dog just not havin been ever givin an honest chance. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Is your buddy with the solid walker coondog gonna keep hunting his, or he is gonna get another dog too?
if the good solid coondog can't get it done,why would you think your dog could ?
i would hunt the dog like what he is. a young dog that needs to be hunted..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Very good point cutter. I'm not gonna get rid of him, its just a little frustrating at times. He hasnt ran any junk as far as i know, just hasnt treed many coons. When he does tree, he's an excellent tree dog. Stands right on the wood, and stays put. Hes gotten better since i first hunted him, but still doesnt seem to want to get out too well by himself. He stays real close when hunted alone, but gets out with another dog, and gets out and works away from the other dog. Should I try to hunt him ALONE by a feeder this spring and summer, where I know he'll hit some hot tracks, and force him to hunt by himself, and do all the work by himself? Thanks for all the opinions and advice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

most all young dogs will hunt close alone untill they get use to being out there alone.
the only way he is gonna learn to go hunting and run and tree alone is to be hunted alone.
if your in indiana i don't see why you would need to hunt off a feeder bucket.
if he can or has treed some coon,then just keep hunting him.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the input everybody. I think he needs to put it all together still, he has the treein part down, just needs some work on tracking i think. Does that just come with time? I've only been in the sport for about 5 yrs, and appreciate all the advice. I turned a caged coon out last night, went home and got him, and took him to the woods. about 15-20 had passed since i turned it loose. (it was raining a bit) I turned him loose, and he was opening up on the track, just didnt finish it before i had to pull him off the track. (about 15 min.) there was actually kids drivin around shootin outta their truck at houses, and toward the woods i was in, so obviously i left, and called the sheriff. Shouldn't he be able to put that track together in 15 min, bein that hot of a track? thanks for all the input

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

not if it was raining and he is a hot nosed dog. rain will wash the track away and for some reason dogs cant smell good on leaves when its raining if you get close to the dog you will see him open on logs,limbs,or rocks. i guess they hold sent better. but what i would do is try at lest one time a week catch a coon in a cage take it to a field and turn it loose. let it run off in the direction you plain to hunt then get your dog and go in from a different way. the reason for doing it in a field is you dont wont it to go up the first tree it comes to. wait about 30 or 40 minutes before you turn him loose. take him about 100 yrd from where the coon went thou and sit down and let him hit it dont walk him over it he will never get out and hunt if you do that.(do not let him see the coon hes to old for that) and dont haul it in the same truck as the dog.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok, if Yall could clear it up for me,I would appreciate it. He turns his dog out, it strikes a track kinda slow, but ends up treein on dens most the time. To me, it sounds as though the dog has a good nose just not enough coons movin to run a good track. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yeah that or the dog doesnt have enough track experience to put enough pressure on a coon to put it up before it gets to its den

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

right now about the only type dog thats gonna put many on the outside is a silent track dog or tighter mouthed dogs. a dogs got to ambush a coon to make it climb where it don't want to.
when the leaves are off and the easy pop up coon are gone, a open trailing loose mouthed dog lets coon know its time to bust for home. a coon is not stupid, they kniow where to go when they hear the old hound dog hit the timber.
coons in rut are already headed for a den.
den to den.. lookin for the ladys.
late in the season the only people you will see at the fur buyers are the trappers. (and right now coons are more interested in breeding then eating. so not alot in traps either.) so its den robbers or guys with silent type hide dogs.
a young dog that aint a track movin drifting type tight mouthed hound is gonna be on a den almost every time.
any dog that boggs down and barks around is not gonna ambush any coon this time of the yr..
coons climb easier when the leaves are on. they know they can hide.
ever notice how when the leaves are off a coon can find or knows where the only tree in the woods is at that has a hiding crotch ,hole or some leaves still on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds to me the dog just has not been hunted alot...Season is just about over here so.Once the rut is over and season comes back in. Hunt him hard at least 30 nights in the woods and see if he gets any better.The more you hunt him the better he should get.Hunt him alone as much as possible.If you have a stay put treedog you at least have something to work with...Tracking can take a lot longer for some dogs to pick up...To me I will always give a dog longer to get things together.As long as they are stay put treedogs ..Some of the best dogs I ever trained started of just like your dog...Treedogs deluxe but week on track...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

people say their buddy's dogs are solid but cant tree a coon either.. get a new buddy. id say the dog is a lot of work and thats why he got rid of the thing. but if you want to put the work in, hunt it in thick coons get some meat out to it and it might come around.