CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: possum problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:36 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I had a bluetick sounds the same u could shock him and he may quit and all of a sudden start back if your dog loves and trust u. This how I broke mine. He treed a possum. Walked in tied him bout 20 feet from the tree shot the nasty a$$ possum out beat the hell out of him and I mean BEAT till I couldn't hardly swing. Since that night I have no longer seen a possum above him

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Ringtail, that is exactly the way I do it. Get their attention and they won't forget. Make them wobbly legged when they walk off. Just a little swat don't get it, and I absolutely don't see any difference in beating and shocking them till they crossed eyed. And folks y'all think I'm cruel, well I ain't the only dog beating coon hunter. Just spend a little time in the woods with the hunters that has the gooderns. You'd be surprised. Just like I say, the dog might not like you all that much till the next time you walk out of the house with a biscuit in your hand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think shocking a pup that is too young will make it lose tree sense and hurt it more.One guy said see one on the road,I say catch one in a trap with some sardines. turn it lose and shock the dog when its runs it not when it trees it .As Barney Fife said you gotta Knip it in the butt.and knip it before hand not at the tree,I've seen some good dogs ruined because they wont stay at a tree long anymore because they are afraid of getting shocked!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've got buddys that beat the crap outta there hounds , and I've got buddys that fry them ... I think its pointless !! I def would not hunt a possum treein dog in a hunt because it will get you scrached .... You dog is suppose to be your hunting partner you going to beat or shock your partner ? If it works for you then go ahead but I bet you will end up with an ill dog ... Try pulling the dog off the tree don't pat it up and when he trees a coon spoil him over it and he will soon find out that's what u want him to do .... It takes time for the dogs to figure it out , for all the dog knows is you are wanting it to go out and play just teach it the right way to play , I do switch my pups for little things but that's just to get there mind on what I'm saying , my 2 cents but what can you buy with two pennys these days lol good luck hunting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

No sir you wrong its no different then teaching a kid not to get to close to a fire or edge of a dock. If he trees slick u gone pat him on the head and say we will get em next time if so that not teaching him nothing his dog(partner) comes back with his head down and tail between his legs he/she knows there doing wrong and doing you wrong so when he trees and ol bandit is up there looking down at him u make him feel like a million dollars and will be fine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You know what , lol your probably right , and sounds like your the man everybody needs to talk to .. can I come hunt with you sometime I bet you got the best dogs in the timber , pretty please

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't know what I am talking about any how I own a bunch of plugs lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey smokehunt your my hero.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:13 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

No but I've had the problem before and shock collar didn't fix and and I would love for you to hunt with me but I don't let dumba$$ hunt with me sorry for your bad luck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Durn , that's to bad I was looking forward to it !! If you change your mind let me know ;) sounds like you needed to read chicken noodles soup for shocking collars ...lol... Since it didn't work out for ya , did you beat your hound to death ? Hey I bet ya you straighten him right up for that too didn't u ... I bet he really likes treeing his owner a coon don't he ? Hope the best of luck to you ringtailer 0880 DON'T TREE EM ALL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I thought that book was called shocking collars for dummies lmao. Hey ringtail08 did you ever think that you dog mite be telling you something by not doing what you want him or her to do. Hell if some one shocked me all the time i would do what they wanted me to do either. Jmo

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yeah that dog is now a grand nite and I didn't shock or beat him for treeing its what he treed it would take dummy's like yall to shock him on the tree but I have better thing to do then this cause I see yall have nothing at all to do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I may have read your posts wrong , but didn't you come in saying no sir you are wrong ... I never said to shock or beat a dog reread my post agian .... I use a switch and I don't have any problems out of my pups or my old dogs , and I only have to use it a few times ... And I never beat my dogs for nothing I pull my dogs off of slicks and off any off game !!! After awhile they will realise what you want and don't want them doing ...but like I said you already know what your doing , you got yourself a grandnite champion ... Do you hunt your dog to make yourself look good or do you hunt your dog because you like your dog , or do you just hunt to kill the coon !! Just curious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Dang tony I wish we had something to do ... Wanna go run the plugs tonight man , and wish we had some coon dogs lol