CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rusty Walker?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I recently went in 1/2 with my buddy on a 5yr old walker. He knew the dog/owner and bloodline very well but the problem was is he was top notch 1year ago. Up until 3 weeks ago he was chained up in a yard and not hunted due to owner working 6/7 days a week out of town.

Now the auctual issue.
First hunt went 4.5m total finally treed was unable to find coon. Second cast went 150yards and came back to truck. The following weekend first cast 100yards then back to truck. Second cast 1.0m then back to truck. Following day first cast 100ish yards second cast over 1 hour before treeing fog came in and couldn't see the very very top of tree but it appeared to be "coonless". Next cast that night about 75yds then back to truck. Two days later 1 cast approx 1.5m traveled then made a B-line back to road to truck.

At this point I am lost as to what to do. I have personally been coon hunting 1month give or take a day or 2 but the person I went in 1/2 with has been doing it 5+ years. I keep hearing either trap a coon release it followed by the dog approx 30min after coon and have also been told just keep casting till he figs out what is up.

One cast I auctually let him go right beside a spooked (running) possum and he didn't even look at him and another cast he was let go probably 75yds from 3 deer and again never seemed interested so it appears to me he isn't running trash but has just lost what he is after?

If someone could give me a few pointers/hints as to what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Rusty Walker?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Put him on a sure enough hot coon.Catch one and badger him like crazy til he's slobber mouthed.Then turnthe ol'coon out in a big field while letting your dog see it run away.Hold him back and wait bout 15 to 20 mins then cut him loose if he was a good dog he'll know what to do.It may take him a little while to get it back.My buddy has what used to be a top notch belly on the wood competition dog,and he left him in the kennel for about a year ,same thing is happening with him.He's treed about 15 times in the past couple months slick.We are trying to get him back.That's what we plan to do to him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Badger being coon caged and dog on him flippin out?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah drive him crazy!!LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I guess I'm a little older than you.Where in Georgia are you from?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Fayetteville area. Age? i am 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Was he cheap???Could the dog run and tree a coon ((alone)) before you bought him???.It sounds to me. He might be a me-too dog. Or a dog that wont hunt unless another dog is with him.(Have you tryed hunting him with another dog???)..If he was a nice dog a year ago. He should not be that rusty.Ive known dogs were not hunted for 5-6 years .Hunt real good the first night back in the woods. But were a little out of shape...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

With his bloodline and the person that trained him I would imagine he could hunt either way. But I am told that due to how he was taught he will not tree with another dog treeing that tree or if another dog comes to his tree and starts treeing that he will leave that area to keep from gettin in trouble

We have hunted him 2 times with another dog and both times he never stayed with the other dog he went out and about by himself

And cheap not IMO 1000 for him. But he has outstanding bloodline and the person that trained him is very well known around these parts as he has produced many competition dogs and he himself has won quite a few from what i hear
chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Chris dont take this the wrong way. ....Just because a guy is well known mean that every dog he has is a good dog....Im just thinking this dog could have some faults and thats why the guy sold the dog..Or they could have be caused by the trainer...I know some really well known local guys and from around the country.Some have even Won a few AKC,UKC,PKC,ACHA World Hunts . That are known for having really good dogs and top bloodlines..But the truth be known about them is. They ruined a lot more dogs than they ever finnished out..And only a few of the many crosses they made ever turned out..Most of the good dogs they come by, they bought already trained......Hunt your dog for about 30 times and see what he is.Thats really the only way to really get to know a dog..

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a dog that would go back to the truck every time after being loose for 20 or 30 min. i broke her in one try it may sound cruel but but you have to show a dog what you wont it to do. i put a shocking collar on her and when she started toward the truck i waited till i heard her jump in the truck then i hit her on 10 for about 4 seconds. she never did again. as far as every thing else i agree with chet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok this is very hard to type and get my point across

Dog was originally bought for 4500 and was amazing hunter (the guy had him on trial then bought him for 4500). The dog had no faults. The guy got a new job 200miles away and is out of town for 6 out of 7 days a week so was unable to hunt him for 8 months he sat in a kennel. We bought him etc etc etc

We took him out this Friday night had one slick tree and went home. I did give him a 12 hour coon tail Saturday morning and he went balistic for it but lost interest in a few minutes. Hoping tonight to take him on another run and see if the tail helped any.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So we did a cast last night. Was being very vocal treed walked to tree and he had treed a possum and pulled it down and killed. I know this is a huge nono but at this point what next?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Getting your money back because you bought a slick treein junk running fool.

Try before you buy. Especially a high dollar hound. Leanred a few 3-500 dollar lessons and after the 1200 dollar lesson I finally learned

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Chris Most dogs just dont fall part like that in 8 months..A $4500 dog sold for $1000 in less than a year. Tells me chances are theres something wrong with the dog .Or the guy was hurting for money really bad...Maybe not but it dont sound to good to me..Hunt the dog for about 30 times 4-6 dumps every time and see what he hunts like...Some dogs just will not hunt right for other people ..Or has to have other dogs along to look good. Even pups that dont do anything..Hunting a dog one or two dumps a night wont tell the whole story about most dogs...Ive known dogs that look bad every first dump.Then look good the rest of the night...Messing with cage coon with a dog like this. Could really mess them up even more so I wouldnt try that either...You might just have to try and figure the dog out by hunting him alot and see what happens.......Good Luck

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ol chet must be a trainer?