CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need some answers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my 3yr old redtick hunts hard sometimes does good and sometimes not i know he can track and tree coons lately he goes out finds a track strikes runs it and gives up he hits it hard and is ready to tree then dont he wont tree unless he is 100% the coon is there what can i do to get him to finish the track

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: need some answers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Does he run a track real hot then just quit????Then goes on hunting and maybe does it again????...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah Chet, that's exactly what he does. I hunt with this dog regularly. We kinda think he may be runnin trash but we're not sure. Most times as of late its hard gettin him to leave our feet. He has tracked and treed his own coon, just not real sure what's gotten into him lately. He will load up like he's about to tree but then backs off it like he's not certain that's what he's supposed to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds like hes running possums and killing them...Most hunters never know they have a dog that does that.Some dogs are real sneaky and do it..They just keep going and pick up a coon track and tree it...If you find fresh killed possums while following a dog in a woods..Chances are you have a dog doing that....About the only way to know is follow behind your dog...As close as possible...If you use a lighted dog collar it makes it easyer to see what they are doing...I like to use them to see if a dog is checking trees and see where they are. If they take off out into a field or go towards road. Where you need to catch them to keep them from getting killed..

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for your advice went out the other night he struck hard ran hard ready to tree and came back to us we have never seen any dead possums we have seen him strike a track run it about 800yds and have the meat at the end i dont know if i should trap a few coons and work him on those or what i should do i know he has it in him to do what he should do but idont know what he is waiting on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Working your dog on cage coon or drags will just mess him up or even ruin him.Hes runnning and treeing some coons. So he does not need worked on a coon anymore..He could be running and putting them in a hole and coming in.Some dogs will do that..But chances are hes running off game..About the only way to know is catching him doing it.Like seeing tracks in the snow or seeing him with or finding a dead possum....You could place a possum in a live trap. Put it where your going to hunt and see if he finds it and what he does....A lighted dog collar would help you see what hes doing...

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a lighted collar on him i can see him when we are close to him when i watch him its like he is running a track back and forth and loses it and just cant figure it out then he gives up and then like i said before he wants to chop the tree down but cant put it all together when i got the dog from a buddy he said he shipped him to virginia to have him trained and you turn him lose and he would tree any coon around i think my so called buddy is full of sh%*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sounds to me like the dog has been whipped of a tree before, could be wrong but if someone was trying to break if of possum they might have went a little to far. Just a guess though, and you might be right about your buddy, did you hunt him before you got him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

kmj_79 wrote:
sounds to me like the dog has been whipped of a tree before, could be wrong but if someone was trying to break if of possum they might have went a little to far. Just a guess though, and you might be right about your buddy, did you hunt him before you got him.

If he had never treed at all i'd say you're right, but i've hunted with this dog and up until a couple months ago this dog looked awesome. Would work a track well and was a stay put tree dog, I think he's either runnin fox or he's just havin trouble workin these older tracks out that are gonna happen this time of year with the coon rutting. But without snow it's hard to tell what, if any, off game he's running. Hopefully he snaps out of it soon because this dog has got it in him to be really good. This is a pic of the two coon we got the last night that my english dog was able to hunt. I'm on the left with my english and redbone. The dog on the right is Bud(the dog in question). First tree had two coon in it, we shot out the bigger one, next drop Bud and Hank(my redbone) tracked the second coon half a mile and treed it. Hank didn't stay at the tree but Bud did til we got there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Do you hunt him by himself or with others mostly, I am assuming he will tree by himself and hunt by himself. Is there anyone around you having the same difficulty treeing. And have you ever hunted him when it was colder like it is now before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

reading through your posts i am wondering if the hank dog not staying treed just might have something to do with the bud dog now showing the same type fault and being less confident treeing..
you said bud won't stay now unless he is 100% sure.
which to me aint a bad thing.
BUT, if hank leaves bud treed on trees with coon in them, it aint gonna do nothin good for bud, unless you are trying to see just how much pressure he will take from other dogs and still stay treed.
i dont know how much hunting buds had alone and if bud started this all alone.
but if i had a 3 yr old that was trippin my trigger, a dog that leaves trees is the last dog i would hunt it with.
from what i have always seen about hunting this time of season is one dog alone will tree coon easier then 2 or 3 dogs in there confusing each other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

it sounds to me like you have the same problem we face all the time here in east tn, (lack of coons) its not in every dog to make it even thou he has done it before. but if it is in him to make it and you plain on keeping him then i would dedicate time just for him. it makes it hard because everyone wont's to tree coon every night but if hes not doing it then its a wast of time going. so here is what i would do. i would start over from scratch catch as many coons as you can but DO NOT SHOW HIM THE COONS. instead take them to a certen place and turn them loose. only hunt this place with him by himself and when he trees tie him to the tree pet him, pat the tree,or anything you can do to keep him barking. let him tree as long as you can. he dont need 2 or 3 coons a night he needs to learn to stay on the tree. as far as the running and not treeing its probably trash, becouse he wonts to run but is not finding a coon. people that live where you can tree 5 or 6 coons a night dont understand how hard we have it :lol: here if you tree 50 coons a season you have done very good!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
reading through your posts i am wondering if the hank dog not staying treed just might have something to do with the bud dog now showing the same type fault and being less confident treeing..
you said bud won't stay now unless he is 100% sure.
which to me aint a bad thing.
BUT, if hank leaves bud treed on trees with coon in them, it aint gonna do nothin good for bud, unless you are trying to see just how much pressure he will take from other dogs and still stay treed.
i dont know how much hunting buds had alone and if bud started this all alone.
but if i had a 3 yr old that was trippin my trigger, a dog that leaves trees is the last dog i would hunt it with.
from what i have always seen about hunting this time of season is one dog alone will tree coon easier then 2 or 3 dogs in there confusing each other.

Well, i thought that at first myself. But as of late hank will stay at the tree when he's with dogs that tree. That night when hank left that tree bud never budged, he knew a coon was in there and he was gonna stay put. When i hunt him with bud sometimes they will hunt together and other times i've seen hank come back to me when bud is workin a "track". Which was my first indicator he may be runnin trash and hank knows it's something he's not supposed to run. But Tuesday night we made a drop they struck it hard, worked it down this small spring for a couple hundred yards, circled and came back and left it alone. Am i wrong to think that they back tracked it and when it got cold they lost interest. Would've turned them the other way on it but we had to chase down my female who got deep and i had to leave to go to work. I'm still convinced some of it is trash runnin and some of it is just difficulty finding a track that he is confident about working.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks everyone for the advice took bud out last night hit a track checked at least 4 trees in a 40 yard circle but couldnt zero in on it he knew it was there just could not put it together maybe the weather 30mph winds and snow and rain i have never beat him off tree it may just take time and hunt him alone or with a better dog but he knew it was there somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

in the north country we have several critters that can cause this type of behavior
first one I would say would be grey fox as they like to tree and you said the dog has messed with fox
second could be martin/or fisher don't know if you have either one but they do the same thing will go up a tree and keep going will drive a dog nuts as they can't lock onto the tree and keep moving
last is bobcat they will tree and bail out
but my first choice would be the grey fox
hope that helps you some