CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a similar problem/question, but since they wont let me start my own question i guess i will ask it here.
I have a 7 month old red bone that will hit a tree hard and stay there all night till you get the coon. I have only hunted him by himself never with any other dogs. The first night that i took him out he treed 3 coons in 1 hour all by himself. But the whole time he never made a peep on the track. Did not open 1 time till he hit the tree. Then he tried to take the top off the tree. I am new too this. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? or is it just a personal prefference? What makes the better coon dog? Silent on the track or Open?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

personally if your not comp huntin thats good ....ull put more coons up a tree with a tight mouthed dog then a bawl mouth ... a loud dog on a track gives a coon lots of time to get to a den tree .....but hes young he could start sparkin ......if u ur worried about it start him on a lead till he hits a track let him run it a bit on that lead and he will get frustrated that ur not moving fast enough and start openin let him strike a couple times then let him off ....dont do it to much tho cuz eventually he will just strike to get off the leash lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When our dog was just starting she wouldn't open up on the track, as she got more experience she started opening on the track, it will probobly just take some time and it should come to him, but some dogs stay that way and can give you an advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most dogs will never open on a drag..When doing drags a little is better than a lot.You never want to do them more than 2-3 times if they trail and find the coon..Open or silent...The more you do drags will just mess up most dogs.It can even ruin them if done wrong..You dont want to leave a coon to close to the ground. For the pup to find by seeing it..You want to leave a scent trail going up the tree as high as you can reach.Take the coon and place in a plastic bag and take it from the tree.Or take a long rope and put it up as high as possible so the pup cant see it.That way you can lower it down to get them treeing if needed...Theres a ((trick)) to get a dog to open on a coon..You take a long rope 20 ft or so use a fresh killed coon.Place it on the rope and swing it in a large circle around you just out of reach of the dog..Most will open on the coon as they try to catch it..Dont over do it 1-2 times should be all thats needed....You never want to work dogs much or rolling cages or cage coon..It can really mess a dog up..Or ruin them so they have to see a coon to tree..You want a dog to use and trust there nose 100% of the time...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You could also drag the scent to a tree and a little out of the dogs reach put a little bit of can dog food and they should bark.don't do it to much tho

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if the dog is young, you can hunt him with an open mouth dog and he might get to be a bit more open himself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bNtandwalkerdude11 wrote:
start em hard, start em young, i like taking cage coons lettin em track and tree it, let the rope go to simulate being shot out, pull the lid up and let em fight it, drags suck, dont use em, like my granddaddy who has had grntch after grntch he has raised, said god put them coons down here for a reason use em, aint nothin like the real thing

What's that pup in ur pic out of?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok I have a ? I have a 2 year old English just got 2 weeks a go he will tree. Dead COON the first night I got him he went with other dogs then came back now he want even strike u goes out and 150 yard then come back any ideas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

deerhunter9160 wrote:
Ok I have a ? I have a 2 year old English just got 2 weeks a go he will tree. Dead COON the first night I got him he went with other dogs then came back now he want even strike u goes out and 150 yard then come back any ideas

never take a dog hunting the first night that you have him, give him a few days to get used to you. i dont understand the rest of your question, maybe take some language arts classes.lol, just ribbin ya a little. what is he doing? what is he not doing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He wont hunt but he will tree a dead coon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Put them in the woods with older dogs it has always worked with me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

might try showing him a live one. if he doesnt start taking off soon, it may be time to get something different.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ok seems llike this is my pup he is a 18mo old blue dog i just got him about two weeks ago from a guy that said he didnt have time to do anything with him. i have took him out 2 times with a real good dog trees almost every drop . my dog didnt make a sound on the trail and when we got to the tree with the old dog mine was just standing there and when we started telling the old dog good job he started barking but didnt tree so we tied both dogs back shot the coon out let the old dog have it when he was done i took my dog over to it and he tore into it we did the same time the next night and he did the same thing let me note i didnt know if he had ever seem a coon before now what should i do i think im going to get a cage coon and see what he does iif he goes nuts ok if not thien i dont know what to do any advise would help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How MANY on here have seen a Pup that DID'NT make a good Cooner???? Except for 1951 & 52 when i was in Service; I have hunted year round since 1935!! On my farm, the season opens Jan. 1/st and closes Dec. 31/st. Over the years; It's just known by me and my friends from many States that less than 1/2 of pups develope into top Coon dogs!!!!! You young guys think about that .

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Teebaby wrote:
This sounds like my 2 year old walker gyp. I've had her about 2 months I got her from my cousin as payment for laetting him breed to my brood female. Well she is 100% silent on track and tree not a single bark, yip, whine, or booger bark and 100% independent I've carried her with my trainer the past 6 drops and she goes hunting but gets away from my pup trainer and won't even go to him when he strikes and trees. I love the way she hunts cause she makes a 300 yd circle checks in then makes another 300 yd circle in the opposite direction but she just won't open her month. My garmin has showed her treed for about 10 min on 3 occations and still nothing. My cousin turned loose 4 caged coons for her 2 in day and 2 at night. Day she treed her head off and at night she didn't bark but would be standin on tree looking up with coon up the tree but no barking. Thats all he did with her until I got her. What do ya'll suggest about this I don't know about doin a cage coon with her since i feel thats what got her silent in the first place is the day coon? I'm just puzzled on how to help a dog that won't stay with the dog thats tryin to help her.

first of all she is to old for cage coons. but i think the reason she wont bark is cause she knows shes going to get the coon and get it within a few minutes so regardless of what she does you probably knock it out to her right? so i would try this. even tho she is to old for cage coons get one. turn it lose and do not let her see it at all. all you wont is a hot track wait 15 minutes then turn her on it.have your old dog on the lead. when she trees it turn the old dog loose.catch her and tie her to the tree. if she dose not tree good put it out to the old dog and dont let her have it. then hang the coon up and see if they will tree together.but no more in daytime