CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just wondering what you think about these people sending there pups to so called trainers , do u believe they really get the pups going good in a month or lay em up , just curious I've hurd different storys ? Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

as i always say, (the proofs in the pudding) some people are set up for training pups. if they know what they're doing its a good thing that is if you dont have the time. but if not its just a lesson learned. personally i hunt my own pups that way you know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Right , that's what I've hurd . U get better results .. It would be good if a man didn't have a whole lotta coon or any good places to train one , is what I'm thinking . A lot of places around here the coon are thin and takes a good dog to work a track up , if a man was to try and train a pup in cold weather it might be a difficult task

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Its best to send a dog to a trainer thats already started. But just needs some hard hunting..30 days wont be enough for most dogs...Chances are if you send a pup to be started. They will take short cuts if you only give them 30 days to get them going...90 days is about right to get one going the right way....They wont just dump a live coon on them.((A lot of so called dog trainers will)).And if they find the dog shows little or no interest in 30 days.They will tell you and you can make the choice. For the trainer to keep working the dog or for you to come and get it..But most will want 90 days if the dog shows it might make a good dog..The last thing a ((GOOD)) trainer wants is to take your money. And give you a dog back that does little or nothing at all...Word of mouth is what makes a good dog trainers NAME.

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:57 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks chet I read a lot of your posts for info , I was wondering if you thought it was a good ideal or a bad one , would you rather train your own dog , or what if you just don't have enough coon to start a pup with ... Would u send someone to a trainer if that was the case . Would your hound take up with someone in that amount of time and what are your thoughts on training lots ? Thank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

At one point in time I tried training dogs for people. I ended up loosing more money then I made. Talked and emailed people all over with just a few showing. Most said I was to young and didn't think I knew anything about training a dog.

Ask a trainer sometime how he trains a pup or what age he starts if they give you a month in age or a type of training id leave a good trainer knows all dogs are different. You can't bring me a dog and have me tell you how I'm going to fix it without knowing the dog.
Some can read dogs and can tell what there thinking on reactions that is how you train dogs know the dog and know ways to train that type. I can tell when I like a dog or not with in 7days of messing with it. You can gather by simple training in the yard weather or not the dog is worth a crap.
Leading is the easiest thing in the world to teach a stick and a 10min walk and most won't pull a lead out of your pocket after 3 walks. If they can't learn how to lead sit go to pen load up. How in the world are they going to learn to run a tough track.

Who ever reads this post when you go with your buddies or in the hunts watch the dogs that pull on lead there usaully the ones that pack 1 2 strike 2nd tree. Ones that tree coon by themselves or first usally lead good and load up good. You won't find a lazy dog leading the cast usally.

Good trainers are high! If I was to do it now with gas prices I would ask 600$ for 30nights of hunting 2hrs a night. That's 20 a night. Your going to hunt 6 or 7 nights a week. So that means traveling a few nights to get out of burned up spots.that's 600miles n 40gal of fuel(at 15mpg) 40x3.50= 140$ in fuel exspenses. Minus another 25$ in feed.leaving 435$ for 60hours of work. Little over $7 hr. Now tell me how them boys are advertising 200 and 300 a month at 5nights a week and are doing the actual owner any good. They can't be clearing no more then 100 a month per dog. In they take 2-4 dogs and prob dump 2 pups at a time which is as stupid as it gets in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My walker was one when i sent him away, 7 months and 5000 bucks and he came back wanting to do nothing but hunt.... Hes a grand night now so my opionin on the trainers make sure you know alot about thier process and have alot of money ready to hand over... but i bet you anything when the dog comes back it'll be a hardwood hammerin machine!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Shewwww what would you have done if your pup would have came back doing nothing , cause even with the best trainers it the dog that has to have the drive right ?? Not saying anything bad or nothing that's just way to much money for an ol poor boy like me to fork out and hope it makes it ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i totally understand what your saying but i made sure before i handed the money over.... And trust me hes the best dog ive ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

not a older hunter but i did send my pup off last summer for a month while it was hot as crap out and the leaves were on. he hunted my dog had 6 days a week in a pin and made sure he wasnt slicking. heat and leaves thats why i sent mine. he was well started before i took him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That's awesome I've hurd of some good trainers out there that do really well with dog ..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

5000? No offense but you can buy yourself a dang fine hound for that dough and take him home that night.
There was dog for sale named termit 2x ss finalist. One heck of a comp dog 5000 was his price. Id never put that much in a pup its a unknown factor. Some can do it and some can do it heck of a lot better. Glad it turned out for you though.