CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 pm 
IP:
i have a 1.5 year old blue tick male who tracks like a champ he is always first to strike and hardly never wrong, i messed up with him this winter because i hunted him with my good friends dogs one is a night champ and other grand night everytime we treed up my dog would tree and i never botherd to tie him up but now when i hunt him alone he will track to the tree and bay up for only about 30 seconds then sniff around the tree of just instantly strike another track but if you hurry to where he is bayed up you can almost always find the tree with a coon if i just take him back to the tree and tie him up will this help break the happit, even when he runs a caged coon up a tree its the same story

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 3 yr old walker done that about three times when i broke him out for the first time in a year treed three in a night but wouldnt stay on the tree. Th enext night i took him He was on the tree every time. just give it time... Il't come into it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have an 8 month old gyp off of Houses Mr Clean shes openiong on track but wont tree or i havnt caught her treeing yet... Is there any tips to bring her to treeing? Ill be the first to tell you i know nothing about coondogs im a akc beagle trialer but my 7 year old son just loves to coonhunt i have a buddy that took him a few times and long story short i know have a coonhound out back with no ideas on getting it to tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I HAVE 2 YR OLD WALKER MALE HARDWOOD BRED ,HE TRACKS GREAT,HE HAS TREED A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT HAD A POSSUM AND HAS KILLED ONE HE GOT OUT OF TREE,I DIDNT KNOCK OUT THE POSSUM HE TREED AND NOW WHEN U THINK HE IS GOING TO TREE,HE SHUTS UP AND WILL OPEN UP SOMEWHERE ELSE ON DIFFERANT TRACK HOW CAN I GET HIM TO STAY PUT AND TREE ,HE IS VERY INDEPENDANT ALSO HAVE A FEMALE THAT IS A HARD TREE DOG,THOUGHT HE WOULD LEARN FROM HER BUT HE MAY BE WITH HER AND MAYBEE NOT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A lot if you guys seem to have the same problem. 1 For one a lot of good hounds are ruined by being pushed too hard and fast too young.
2. You don't need a pup trainer to train a coonhound, in fact your far better off to start a young on its own, a lot of pups simply learn to follow the other dogs around and boo hoo, and never figure it out on their own cause it's easier just to follow. Sometimes though starting a young dog on its own takes a little longer and a lot more hours in the woods, but these days it seems everyone wants instant gratification and are too busy or too lazy to spend time in the bush. Once a week isn't enough woods time to make a top notch dog.
3. People way overuse caged coons and drags. This just teaches the dog to hunt with its eyes instead of its nose.
4. And last but definitely not least, it's something folks don't generally want to hear, but, NOT ALL HOUNDS ARE BORN WITH THE PARTS BETWEEN THEIR EARS, TO BE A GOOD COONDOG, and not all dog owners are born with the parts between their ears to be good trainers and houndsmen. There are far more culls born every year than there are good coondogs.
One piece of advice I can give as well is read read read!!! Read every book, article, blog and post you can about dog training, even information geared to bird dog training, or show ring training can be invaluable, as well as searching the archives on this sight is a treasure trove of information, there hasn't been much involving hounds that hasn't been discussed sometime or another on coondawgs.com. Lol

Hope this helps y'all
Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

nm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

all i can go by is what works for me and i seem to have a different mindset of what i think a trainer actually teaches a dog.
other then the handling part the only thing a trainer teaches a dog is WHAT to track and tree.
caged coon,released coon,dead coon drags or hunting with another dog only exposes a dog to coon. it does NOT teach one how to track or how to tree.
i would say the same thing on the male above,: once a dog will try to get after a coon it should be hunted alone. hunt him alone in the best place you know he has a chance to find one to get after. go in the woods with the dog, if he gets after one be there when he locates the tree, stay close enough you can be there when he does. i tie it back ,roll the coon and i do not let the dog have it. i drag them off still trying to grab it. the more nuts i can make them want one the better.
if a pup can find the right tree there is no reason to have to show the dog where it went by putting anything up a tree. and you dont need to teach one to tree bark. if you get them to want a coon bad enough they will tree bark for it. once a dog does tree for it then i will pet it up some. i don't slap the tree or hiss or anything trying to get a pup to tree. they will once they want the coon bad enough. giving a pup the coon is not the reward some think it is and won't make a dog want them more, not letting them have it does. they will go looking better,try harder on the track, tree bark harder and stay treed better the more they want it. too many people think they can train a dog in the backyard with drags and caged coon or released coon. that is pre training,exposing a dog to the game and scent. once a dog can locate the right tree and smell up it,look up it. what ever it does so you see it has found the right tree then the pre training is over. it aint to teach them to tree bark for it. with most pups the more you do from that point trying to teach it or get it to tree bark the more harm you do. all you do with a pup is expose it to coon and make it want them to bring out the bred in traits of using thier nose to find it,track it,locating the tree and tree barking for anything it wants bad enough and can't continue on the track up the tree cause they can't climb. it takes alot of boot tracks in the woods to bring a pup from puppy to coondog.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Very well said Toe Cutter!!!!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Chet McCreary wrote:
The pups to young to hunt much..Hunting a pup too early can really mess them up...Redbones as a (breed) are known to be late starters...I really dont care if a young pup runs track.Tracking is the easyest thing for a dog to learn.But treeing is a natural thing for them to do.My best dogs just about always tree. Before they did anything else..[/If you see a young dog checking trees hes treeminded].Sometimes it just take maturity for them to do it..Thats something you really cant make a dog do.If they dont want too..What you really have to watch is getting a young dog treeing by site.Once they start doing that.Its really hard to break them.If you can.....

is being tree minded a really bad thing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 11 month old redtick, i have been taking her out with my 8 yr old coon dog, what we have been doing is let our 8 yr old go out about 300 yrd then let her go she catches up to him but then comes right back. It's like she dont want to hunt, but when our 8 yr old is treed and we start walking to him her tail goes straight and she goes and barkes on tree with him but does not always stay, she does know what a coon is because She has treed 3 of her own coon so far but we would have to go to her first or she would go to where or 8yr old is. Is there any suggestions on what i can do to make her run track? and make her stay on tree?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

turn them loose together. what your doing is a good way to get your pup to chase barking or trailing the other dog. if the pup comes back put her in the dog box and leave her there. no matter how much hell she raises wanting to go when she hears the other dog treed. every time you cut loose,if she comes back put her back in the dog box.
and dont let her out to go to the tree when she hears the other dog treed and wants to go.
actually if she has treed 3 coon alone she should be being hunted alone. she dont need the other dog to tree a coon and she dont need the distraction of the other dog treeing somewhere else. the go hunting and staying treed will come with hunting her alone,age and experiance. more then likley you will have to ease in there with her to get her to go hunting alone.
its work and patience, alot of work and patience. very few pups will fire off to go hunting if you stay at the truck like you're hunting your old dog. the longer you wait to hunt her alone the harder it will be to get her to go look without another dog.
the way you are doing it now is only gonna teach her to go because the other dog does and tree because the other dog trees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Its like she dont want to take off. Butt sometime i think she does want to be an indipendt hunter. Like evryone says some dogs slick tree and thats what my 8 yr old did one night and she wanted nothing to do with the tree he was on and thats when she treed her own. Then we went out another night and he had a coon and then like 150 yrds away she had another one. Its like shewants to hunt by herself, but on the other hand its like she is scared of whats in the dark.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 8 month old has ran 3 coon at night by herself. The first she treed and I got to her within a couple minutes. Second one she ran about 400 yards and it looked like she lost it so I called her back. Last night she ran one over 400 yards I drove truck so she was straight out and when she turned towards road I stopped to listen. She jumped on treec barkec twice and ran back towards where she started. I drove back and called her loaded her up and went back to where she was last on gps and she barked once at a tree and sure enough there was a coon in it. Tied her up and she started treeing. What sucks is she's silent on track.

I wonder why she didn't tree even for a liitle?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
My 8 month old has ran 3 coon at night by herself. The first she treed and I got to her within a couple minutes. Second one she ran about 400 yards and it looked like she lost it so I called her back. Last night she ran one over 400 yards I drove truck so she was straight out and when she turned towards road I stopped to listen. She jumped on treec barkec twice and ran back towards where she started. I drove back and called her loaded her up and went back to where she was last on gps and she barked once at a tree and sure enough there was a coon in it. Tied her up and she started treeing. What sucks is she's silent on track.

I wonder why she didn't tree even for a liitle?

i WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT. SHE SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS WELL ON HER WAY FOR A 8 MONTH OLD PUP. SHE IS A STEP AHEAD OF MOST 8 MONTH OLDS.
A GUY CAN DRIVE HIMSELF CRAZY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY PUPS DO OR DON'T DO THINGS. (SORRY BOUT THE CAPS)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Now she started to bark a few times at a tree then run off and look for another track. And there was a coon in the tree. I tied her up and get her excited and when I turned her loose she ran off looking for another.

I was told to not take her to the woods for couple months because she might be getting bored. Could this be the case?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next