CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am trying out a 3 year English female I took her last night (had a lil rain and wind) her first time out she struck on about 5 different trails (after a slow start had to walk with her a lil to get her started) but quit after about 100 yards should I blame this on weather her being in a new environment and more importantly what should I expect next time or do different

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a Bluetick male that did that. He started 10 tracks a night sometimes. Every once in awhile he worked one out and put a coon up but most of the time he Boo hooed awhile on them an came back. I don't believe he was running coons. I think he was running other game and realized that wasn't right and came back. I never caught him in the act of running trash but I could tell he was. Needless to say he didn't eat my food long.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How long have you had her???? How many times have you hunted her????.Is she cheap???..Windy nights with some rain coon usually move pretty good..If your getting short tracks that just stop.Chances are the dog is running possums or (armodillos down south) and killing or catching them .Then going on hunting or comes back in...When getting a new dog it takes about 30 nights of hunting. To really know what kind of dog you have..Some dogs can look like crap for a week them look great.Or the other way around..Thats why you need 30 nights of hunting..I like to keep a dog at least a week before hunting it..I know that most guys take a dog home and hunt it the same night.That can be OK for a well broke dog.But most of the dogs you find forsale are not well broke..They have faults thats why they are forsale most of the time...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
How long have you had her???? How many times have you hunted her????.Is she cheap???..Windy nights with some rain coon usually move pretty good..If your getting short tracks that just stop.Chances are the dog is running possums or (armodillos down south) and killing or catching them .Then going on hunting or comes back in...When getting a new dog it takes about 30 nights of hunting. To really know what kind of dog you have..Some dogs can look like crap for a week them look great.Or the other way around..Thats why you need 30 nights of hunting..I like to keep a dog at least a week before hunting it..I know that most guys take a dog home and hunt it the same night.That can be OK for a well broke dog.But most of the dogs you find forsale are not well broke..They have faults thats why they are forsale most of the time...

This was the first day I had her and first hunt and he wants 700 for her I want get to hunt her again until Friday he said when I got her that it took him 3 hunt with her before she did well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How long is the guy going to let you hunt her????...

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
How long is the guy going to let you hunt her????...

Said till I'm satisfied

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

id say hunt her a few more times. she might no be use to you or not use to the area. but if she isnt turning out ,dont waste money on something if its not showing a end product.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

silentstalknc wrote:
id say hunt her a few more times. she might no be use to you or not use to the area. but if she isnt turning out ,dont waste money on something if its not showing a end product.

Yea I've never ran a already trained dog I don't really know what to expect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

$700 is not a bad price.Thats about what a good started dog is priced at..But Ive bought some really nice broke dogs for less..Ive also tryed out dogs for 10 times that. That I would not feed...LOL..Hunt her as much as the guy will let you .I tryed out 27 dogs before I bought my last really good dog.But Im kinda picky...LOL.....

Profile  WWW