CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So i got a black gyp thats just shy of 2 years old i was told she can run and tree her own "but i aint seen it" Anyways she wont hunt worth a crap. sometimes she will take off at a dead run and be gone and then most nights she just stands at my feet. I took her with 2 dogs the other night they ran a track and she would act like she wanted to go but would go about 20 yards and turn around and look at me. The only reason shes still here is she has a HUGE mouth and a all grand pedigree. So what can i do besides gettin another dog to get her goin

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:13 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like you know why she was for sale....Try before you buy.......Keep hunting the dog and giver her chance.............fact is alot of dogs don't make it...And some are sold with the "she can run and tree her own" statement to the buyer.

You didn't mention how long you have owned this dog and how much you have hunted this dog.

LOL, how many coons is that all grand paper treeing? -- Keeeping because a big mouth and all grand pedigree -- is she going to become a brood bitch?

Just because she has a big mouth and all grand pedigree is not assurance she we make the cut. Too many people put stock in those all grand pedigrees.......some seem to hold on to them waiting for the "light bulb" to turn on because of an all grand pedigree.

Treat the dog like any other papered dog........it either makes the cut or it doesn't make the cut regardless of the what is listed on the pedigree papers.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

absolutly no way there will be a "brood" bitch in my kennel thats just a fancy way of saying a expensive cull. All i know to do is just hunt the hair off her and thats what i've been doin i've hunted her by her self evry night i've had her and took her with some other dogs saturday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Get a fresh coon and show it to her in the cage and let her get fired up. It's def worth a shot. Don't let her fool with the cage for longer than 10-15 min though. Treat her as a pup and buckshot is right. Those papers don't tree coons. It may even take her awhile to warm up to you. Some dogs it takes a month or so. But consider trying to get the fire started in her somehow.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

2 aint hardly old enough to be finished out hound but on its way to it. Running and treeing is a good thing if its doing good at it. Hunting young dog is alot of cussing, stoming, boring, and aggervating nights. If you wont a dog doing it like what it sounds like your talking it will cost good money.If you are determined to keep this dog and make a real hound out of her take her drop her out shut the tail gate and wait. Sit in the truck alone so she has no distractions of people talking ect. This will take alot of nights as described above. Most people do not have the patience to get a young dog going good and once they start doing it they will stop never finishing it out thinking it is a good dog. I have a dog that runs and trees he may go 5 miles to tree but he will have the meat and you better catch him or he is gone again. Sounds like a great dog till you walk those 5 miles and get there only for him to take off again, he pulls lead when walking no matter what you do to stop it, barks in the box, and anything else you can think of that most people do not want in a dog. I got him for FREE because no one else could handle him doing all these things. I have made it my personal mission to show that this dog can and hopefully be a good hound.He is on his way to being one. Before I buy a dog I want to hunt with it 3-4 diffrent nights and try to hunt a place or 2 you have if possible to see if it runs deer,barks at water and will not cross or anything else you dont want. Most will fail the test.Good luck with her and if you get to frustrated let me know I like a dog that has a few quirks.LOL :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Keep hunting her, it takes a while to get a dog to hunt on its own. Don't encourage her, just cut her loose and ignore her, if you are telling her to go she can't understand the words you are saying so as long as your talking to her she's just going to stand there. Try to get her on a good hot track, even if you have to catch a coon, I wouldn't show it to her I would just turn it loose and then cut her about 75 yds from where you turned it loose and you know for a fact your putting her on a hot track. Good luck, hope she works out for ya.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ya i've been tryin to catch a coon since i got her but i live really thin coons and its hard to catch one have had a trap out for 2 weeks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Try a honey bun covered with grape fayo seems to work when there hard to trap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Turning coon loose close or right in front of it is going to do more damage then good. If your going to make a fresh track walk in 300yds or farther and turn coon loose get rid of that trap and walk out. This allows for coon to settle down in may possibly go up a tree. If the dog will not go walk her in that direction while she's hunting around she might hit it. I always watch the coon in try to let dog hit track a good 50yds from start. Then you know if it backtracks or not.

Reason you don't want to turn it loose rte by road is you said dog won't leave but very far. You turn one or two loose by the truck and you mt0ight as well shoot the dog. Prob reason why it don't go. Its waiting on you to turn coon loose.

2yrs is plenty for a dog. It should be at the stage that's its all most finished but still does something stupid now and then.

I've never owned a all grand coondog mine have all had good papers but all coondogs for 2nd gene. Have 2 5wk old pups that will tear a dead coon up and then work for half hour getting out of pen to get that coon they can't even see anymore.
Grand + grand ant always the best match for coons but it makes $$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Whoop her @$$ she will figure it out if she is a good dog lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sometimes a bullet is the best answer!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ive known more than a few all grand ped dogs that never made it.Even though most of there litter mates did. When looking for a new dog its best to hunt them first to see what kind of dog you have..I would not buy a dog a guy wouldnt let you try out.((After getting a new dog)).It takes on average 30 nights in the woods of good hunting to find out what you have to work with.....One big mistake a lot of guys make????..Is messing with a cage coon or rolling cage too much..A little gos a long ways and can even ruin a dog..It can get them so they have to see a coon to show any interest..Or have to see a coon to tree...I know guys that take every new dog they get.If is a new pup or a old broke dog..The first thing they do is get the cage coon out....If you have a dog that can run and tree you should never work them on a cage coon again...I never use a cage coon (unless) Im about ready to give up on a dog..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you probably just bought a dog that wont hunt. trap a coon let it out far away, walk it to it on a leash, if it doest run the track or even get fired up when it smells it. then spend some more money on a bullet.