CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chasin rabbits
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:48 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my 7 mo. redbone is chasin rabbits. is this a bad habit to pick up. and if it is what should i do to correct her?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 pm 
IP:
I got some advice from a fellow who is in his 55th year of coon hunting and raising coondogs. He told me that he always lets his pups chase all the rabbits they want when they are young. I raised a litter and tried it. The pups are right at a year old now and from what I am seeing it certainly did not hurt them one bit. They have switched to coon on their own now and can really work out a tough track for young hounds. So I guess my answer would be let em chase em. I have not seen any ill affects from this test litter and they chased a TON of rabbits over the last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thats good to know cause she sure loves it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just wondering what i should do about this at first thought he was tracking coon but last night when we went fishing took him to get some exersize he opened up so i went to the top of the hill and seen a rabbit run out way in front and went under a camper he tracked it all the way there bayed on it a few the went and opened on another on the other side of the creek he has done this 5 times when we take our walks just me and him bout dark he will open and run the track and then quit any advice would be great

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LCK wrote:
I got some advice from a fellow who is in his 55th year of coon hunting and raising coondogs. He told me that he always lets his pups chase all the rabbits they want when they are young. I raised a litter and tried it. The pups are right at a year old now and from what I am seeing it certainly did not hurt them one bit. They have switched to coon on their own now and can really work out a tough track for young hounds. So I guess my answer would be let em chase em. I have not seen any ill affects from this test litter and they chased a TON of rabbits over the last year.

Post subject: Re: chasin rabbits
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ok thats good i keep letting him chase them ok next ? if i take him about dark or alittle after and he opens up does that for awhile then quits is he running a rabbit or coon he has seen one coon then in the box i let it go about 200 yds away got him out of the box he found the trail opened on it went a little while the quit and came back to me has never treed by himself yet but i think he is close not sure what to do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if he will get after a released coon i would not let him continue to run rabbits. just keep messin with the coons with him. most hounds when full grown cant run a rabbit very well, they are too tall for the scent funnel a rabbit has. thats why beagles are shorter so they are in the scent funnel. i dont think it hurt him running them,but switch him over to coon and avoid the i wonder if its a coon or a rabbit. rabbits run circles,coons dont.
when you turn him on a released coon go with him and help him find it. watch him,when he marks the tree it is in get to him and pet him up on it. dont matter if he barks or not at this point. your just showing him he was right, the track goes up the tree like he thought it did. now notice i said the track goes up the tree like he thought it did. i firmly believe young dogs tree bark on a tree because they can't continue on the track. the only thing that should make him tree minded is that the coon climbs trees, not because you trained or taught him to tree. its bred in. once he wants the coon bad enough he will bark treed on the tree it climbed. he will be a much more accurate dog if you just show him he was right when he marks the tree and not try and teach him to tree bark. if a dog can run a track he can find where the track went up the tree. watch him he will smell up the tree and get down and try to find it around the tree leaving. when he cant he will smell up the tree again. if he has it,show him he did good. and if you can ,roll it out to him dead.
i would follow along at night too, if he finds and marks the tree and has the coon,do the same thing as you would on a released coon. dont worry about him tree barking just yet. it will come when he gets to wanting the coons more and more.
coon hounds are bred to track and tree bark for anything they want and cant get to.. you have to show them "what" to track and tree. get him to want a coon bad enough and he will run them and tree bark for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

yea i know those bunnys will run circles around those dogs all day but what about when he opens at night i try to stay close to him in case he does get to a tree its almost like he is following a feed trail or something hes not running in a loop but he always shuts up in the woods i think he is following a coon and finds the tree but dont know what to do next then comes back to me i dont know that thoughthats just what i think he is doing any thoughts on that toe cutter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if he stops and comes back to you just keep walking toward the place you heard him stop trailing. see if he will show you the tree . who knows he could very well be killing grinners on the ground. but if you go to where he stopped he will probly show you just what he was up to. most all youngs dogs learning to move a track will sound like they are on a old feeder track. they are trailing,cause they can't move them fast enough for it to be called running them. just keep hunting him. he will get better and better at moving tracks the more you give him the chance to try. the best thing about it is he is trying to do something,
lol, a whole lot of them wont even do that,especially alone. the only thing i see that may be a problem is hunting him alone without some type of coon pre training (released coon) or another dog that will get some coon treed to keep his attention and get and keep his mind on coon,he may find alot of other things he likes to trail too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:28 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You need to put a ((Lighted dog collar)) on your dog.That way you can see where your dog is and if hes checking trees..Its also easy to see them moving in the woods.Like if they stop and chew on a possum or two...LOL.......Ive ran into a few coonhounds that would run rabbits while at night hunts..The handlers would say they didnt know forsure but I did...LOL..My Granddad used to sell a lot of rabbit running Black-n-tan coonhounds back in the day..If they didnt tree coon for him he made rabbit dogs out of them.He sold a lot of them.That was back when most coonhunters hunted two dogs .One that was a good track dog and one that was a really good treedog..Dogs that did both really well was really hard to find back then....One of the best rabbit dogs I ever had was a beagle mixed with Black lab..Nice dog with a really loud mouth..The reason beagles make better dogs is because they are small and can get through the thick brush better..Beagles are also slower and dont push a rabbit as hard as a coonhound..Rabbits will hole up if pushed too hard......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well took him out last night let him go and he started going nuts right off the bat i dont know if the coon was right there when we got there or what but he actually treed with in 50 yds i had to have let him out right on it it was all real not a released one so i guess thats good so i took him home love him up good at the tree and on the way to the truck i fianally caught a coon today so im going to get home let it out and give him a atleast 30 min before i let the dog loose do you guys think that would be enough time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most good trainers will tell you not to over work a young dog..The more you do released coon or drags will not help a pup..After a pup starts treeing you want to stop doing that..You would think the more you do it would help but it does the opposite..It can really mess up some dogs.....The pup is only 7 months old its doing very good for its age.The average pup just starts at 8-12 months old...Take it slow and easy.Let the pup mature and around a year old he should be doing pretty good...It takes a few years and a lot of hunting to make a nice dog when starting with a pup....

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i guess i forgot to put this in but my pup is 9 mo old well i got off work at 10 drive right to the woods and let that coon out about 100yds away from it drove back to the house had to give kids a bath wife had headache got them layed down got dog and took off its 1115 now so i wasnt to hopeful he struck trailed and think he found where it went up first didnt find the coon but he was sorta treeing but i think he wasnt sure of him self he started going again and i thought he might get it now yea right he bumpped a rabbit and chased that damn the 200 yards through the wood into a bunch of braiers so i got to him hooked him and walked to the truck didnt say a word to him got home and put him in the kennel and went in the house i hope he knew i wasnt happy any thoughts