CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2 year old acts lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a 2 year old English redtick female she's been hunted before but not much by her self. I can take her to the woods in the evening and she just kinda wonders around like she has no idea what to do. What do I need to do to get her back on track. She's been layed up since February any advice is greatly Appericated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: 2 year old acts lost
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Maybe that's why you got her. What do you actually know about the way she hunted last February?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She was hunted with another dog. The guy I got her from works third shift and didnt have time to hunt her. Would turning out a caged coon help. She did jump up on a tree yesterday evening but never barked just looked up. I'm new to this so not real sure what to do hoping y'all experienced hunters can help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Msmith82 wrote:
She was hunted with another dog. The guy I got her from works third shift and didnt have time to hunt her. Would turning out a caged coon help. She did jump up on a tree yesterday evening but never barked just looked up. I'm new to this so not real sure what to do hoping y'all experienced hunters can help

From what you said so far it sounds like you might want to forget what she was supposed to do. Just start back over from scratch. Two years is not real old but she ought not be acting "lost" if she ever did much. Start her back off whatever way you here tell of is the right way Turnouts ,rolling cages whatever you figure is the right way. Me ? I would start her with a world class coondog and let her learn good habits instead of figuring out how to trash and lie when she flubs up on her own, But that is just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Just starting out I tell everybody to read the (Walk with Wick) books. You will learn more from reading them. Than most guys learn from a lifetime hunting and trying to train a dog.. I also tell guys to start out with a older well broke dog if they can. They don't cost that much more than a couple of well bred pups. Some are even cheaper.. A lot of guys quit hunting a dog after they get a little age on them. Dogs 6-10 years old is the best hunting years for most dogs. You can always mess with pups but everybody needs a older broke dog just to take hunting with your buddys......The dog you have now..Try hunting her with another dog and see what she does..Some dogs wont hunt without another dog along even if the other dog is a puppy...LOL..It can also take about 30 days of hunting to really know what kind of dog you really have.It can take a few weeks for some dog just to get used to a new place....Then you haves some dogs hunt great right after you get them.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I do have a couple of younger hounds and take one with her when I go. Could it also be that I keep them on a leash when I go I don't have a tracking system yet so I do t wanna lose the dogs. I have a friend that has a really good walker but it hunts to fast. I do have the walking with sick books the guy I bought the dog from let me borrow them. I'll try her on some turn outs as soon as I catch a coon had one drown its self in the trap over the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I assume you are keeping the young dogs on a leash and not her LOL. She might be wondering why somehing else is not loose. Could be.
See if your friend with the walker will let you put her in the pen with him for a few days so he won't be a strange dog to her when they do hunt together. Alot of dogs just take off and try to get away when first turned loose and she may not be able to keep up with that foolishness. Hold her back, let him get struck,. He won't be running a track at 25 mph I garantee. Drive around as close as you can and turn her in to him. Don't just turn her loose. Get her out and stand still and make sure she recognises him. Pet her if she tugs on the leash wanting to go, then let her. A two year old dog can keep up with a dog on track. She might not be helping run it but she is there finding out what he is doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been keeping her on a leash to I don't wanna chance losing a dog I just got and if she get on a deer it's hard telling where she would go and the property I'm walking them on I'm not familiar with

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You cant be fearing cutting a dog loose..Even with a tracking collar theres a chance something might happen to a dog..Used trackers are a lot cheaper than they used to be..You can find used 2 dog units for around $150.Thats cheap...You can also put small bells and lighted dog collars on them..I use tracking collars and lighted collars on all my dogs...Before they came out tracking collars I used bells..I still do on my beagles...LOL..Just starting out most guys don't have everything they need.It takes time and a lot of money to get it all...But I know guys that have everything they need and still hunt $50 dogs...LOL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'll see if I can't find a bell some where and try cutting her loose tomorrow if the weather holds out it goes from one extreme to another her lately flooding this past weekend and nice the past couple of days
And calling for more rain tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Msmith82 wrote:
I'll see if I can't find a bell some where and try cutting her loose tomorrow if the weather holds out it goes from one extreme to another her lately flooding this past weekend and nice the past couple of days
And calling for more rain tomorrow

I must be missing something. How can a 2 year old dog act lost when it is on a leash? I wouldn't turn her loose in the woods if she acted lost on a leash. Turn her loose in a fenced in area and see if she will come to you etc. No use turning a dog loose in the woods if you don't feel sure you can catch her. Trackers and shockers won't do any good if the dog does not know comehyar from siccum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Msmith82 wrote:
I have been keeping her on a leash to I don't wanna chance losing a dog I just got and if she get on a deer it's hard telling where she would go and the property I'm walking them on I'm not familiar with

Why aren't you familiar with the land you are hunting? That's the first thing to know. Forget about dogs for now. Besides from just plain being able to hunt right, there are likely some obstacles like old wells or pits out there that could be dangerous to you or your dog. Get familiar with every foot of it even if it is in daytime by yourself or leading the dog around. Then get familiar with at least a mile around the property you have in case the dog goes stupid on you one night. You really need to know if a drop of rain falls at this spot it will go to whatever drain/ditch/ stream and culvert familiarity level. That will help knowing where the dog strikes, is it more likely a deer or coon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

you might also want to put a name plate on you dogs collar so if you loose your dog you still have hope somebody will call you.before i had a tracking collar when i left a dog, i would leave my coat or shirt where i turned the dog loose.alot of the times the dog would be around my coat the next day.i know it stinks when you loose a dog but if you hunt enough you will loose a dog,thats part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The property I'm walking the dogs on isn't the place ill be hunting. I'll be hunting family property that totals 500 acres. I do know every bump and tree in there just don't have the money to drive thirty minutes one way every day or so. She doesn't act lost on the leash just when she's wanting to hunt she acts like she has no idea what she's looking for

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Other than spending time and leash training, exactly what is the goal you have in mind for walking it around in the woods? Are you jacklighting coons up trees? Or maybe shining rabbits or deer to break her? What is it you are hoping to accomplish?