CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: leashes?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my pups will follow me fine without a leashe but as soon as i put one on and try to walk the seem to put the e brake on and wont move ive tried to drag them a little to getthem to move but they dont. and the other night i had one tied up witha leash and the basterd chewed threw it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:42 am 
IP:
How old are the pups? I like to chain break my young hounds before I do any leash work. Just makes the transition a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

almost 4 months and what do you mean chain break.

Post subject: chain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I believe LCk means to put them on a chain for a few days, they'll quit pullin and get use to it rather quickly. I do the same before I start any lead training. Another trick is to hook them on a coupler with a grown hound that is lead broke. good natured dog only please. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had him on a chain for 21/2 hours and he did nothing but bawl good thing i was out in the country but i cant do that in town. it didnt want to yell at him becuase then he would thing it was bad to howl right? and i dont have an older dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

All dogs should be chain broke.It helps them learn to lead .Most dogs at sometime in there life get chained out.So why not break every dog at a young age...It takes days to chain break a dog.It takes 2-4 days for most dogs until they feel good about being chained out.To me I chain ALL mine out at some time.I feel they like being chained out a lot better than being in a kennel all day...Most do not bark or anything they just sit and dont move.Littleby little they start moving around....It takes time to break most dogs to lead.I can do it in a few hours on real hard dogs.10-15 min on the average dog.They wont be broke but you can walk them..Your dog is at just the right age to chainbreak.Just make sure his collar is on tight enough he cant get loose.If they get loose they fight it a little more.Thinking they can get away

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

so what do i do i just chain him up for 20 min then let him off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

NO ...You chain out for a few days.Thats the first step..Then you take a choker chain and put it on your pup.So when you pull it gets smaller.You want to pull up to make it close.Your not really choking the dog .You use a quick jerk of the lead to make the chain make a snaping sound.It just scares them a little and gets there attention.You start off walking in a big circle them change directions real quick.Then make like figure 8s.That way the dog starts looking at you.They follow you where ever you go.Most dogs you have to do this several times a year.When they get so they start pulling again.I keep a choker chain on me.Most of the time just in case I need it...But most of my dogs still pull me all the way to the truck. When we are going hunting........LOL....

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

so you make these big circles and figure eights while there on the chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You do that with the choke chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:45 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Ok so I've had my dogs on the chain since I got them about 8 months ago and they from what I read here I guess are not chain broke because they have their necks rubbed raw from constantly pullin on the chain. they dont have a problem bein on it but I cant see them where they can't see me so I dont know if they are just cosntantly pullin or what. You can see the bare mark on my dog in the sig. pic... it makes me sick! I've been sprayin them with blue mule but it never seems to get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:24 pm 
IP:
Change collars. Try a nice, well oiled leather collar. I have had some of the same trouble with the vinyl collars doing the same thing. Also try one with the d ring near the buckle not a center ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

One other thing when chain breaking young dogs, it helps to have a swival at each end of the chain, and have the chain hooked to something in the open so they can't get twisted around anything and choke to death. You should make sure you can see the dog from the house, so you can check to see if they're alright every hour when you start, and every few hours there after. Also make sure there doghouse is far enough away that they can't jump on top of it and hang themselves. It's best to just keep an eye on them when first starting out with breaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:44 am 
IP:
foxtrapper wrote:
One other thing when chain breaking young dogs, it helps to have a swival at each end of the chain, and have the chain hooked to something in the open so they can't get twisted around anything and choke to death. You should make sure you can see the dog from the house, so you can check to see if they're alright every hour when you start, and every few hours there after. Also make sure there doghouse is far enough away that they can't jump on top of it and hang themselves. It's best to just keep an eye on them when first starting out with breaking.

This is very true.

Post subject: pull up not forward
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Two things to try. Use a "choke chain" or Slip lead to train with a leash. Try correcting with quick sharp sideways pulls to get the dog moving from the "brakes" position. If that doesn't work pull the dog up (front legs off the ground) his legs will start to move and put him down and he will start walking. You only have to do this a few times and he will learn to walk with you. Don't let him stop your walk, you start and stop the walking not the dog!