CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Road Hunting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:36 pm 
IP:
I like to road hunt my dogs. I mean driving slow and letting the dogs run in front of me until they find a coon that has crossed the road. Does anyone else road hunt? Never hear anyone talk about it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:40 pm 
IP:
its illegal where we live to do that! to many people around here complain enough if your dog accidentaly crosses their driveways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:20 pm 
IP:
I have approximately 47,000 acres leased so thats not a problem. People complain about everything these days. Just about anything is legal here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I like to rig hunt, off the top of the box or stike cage, dont hear much on here about that either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:26 pm 
IP:
Probably not "sporting" enough or not true coon hunting. I wish my dogs would ride on the box. How do you get them to rig hunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I put them in the rig cage or on the box and just ride in a feild or a back road every little bit when they are young. After they get comfortable we set a caged coon some where and ride by it. Alot of time go's in to makin a rig dog thats for sure. Its one thing to get one to hunt but to get one to hunt off the front bumper of a moving truck aint real easy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:09 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

:D THAT'S HOW I HUNT UP HERE IN NORTHERN MAINE, ROAD AND RIG. THE OTHER NITE LUCKY ROADED 15 MILES. IT THE ONLY WAY TO HUNT UP HERE BECAUSE IF JUST DROP THEM AND LET THEM GO. YOU COULD BE IN THE WOODS FOR A WEEK OR 2. THE EASIEST WAY TO GET YOUR DOG TO RIG IS ROAD HIM FOR A COUPLE OF MILES TO TIRE HIM OUT ALITTLE. IF NOT HE'LL JUST YAP TO GET DOWN. YOU'LL GET TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOOD STRIKE AND A LET ME DOWN YAP. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:55 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Yeah we used to have a dog that would road hunt on her own. We never trained her to do that we just watched the way she did it and realized thank god we dont have to walk that far! lol Though Im always up for a good walk in the woods which we need with our other bluetick. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:26 am 
IP:
I used to use some Leapord Curs to road hunt Squirels. They would even hunt coon off the road too. sometimes i wish i had them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i like to road hunt young dogs good way to have a hot race usely do it on old strip jobs and gaswell roads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:33 pm 
IP:
Rig hunting is one of my very favorite ways to hunt the hounds. It is done a lot out here in the wesern states.

Post subject: rigging
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree LCK !! I was lucky to have 2 dogs start on their own rigging and there's no better way to hunt when your tired or just don't feel like going on a 2 mile hike. Most coons are right off the road I've always found. LCK, how do you go about training yours to rig ?? I've got a young dog now that would much rather ride out back, starting to strike a little. My old rig dog is now 13 and just may pass away this week.Here it's really hard to just drop when they strike, most strikes are next to a house or farm, and unless it's 3:00am you can't let them loose.

Post subject: Re: rigging
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 am 
IP:
nutman wrote:
I agree LCK !! I was lucky to have 2 dogs start on their own rigging and there's no better way to hunt when your tired or just don't feel like going on a 2 mile hike. Most coons are right off the road I've always found. LCK, how do you go about training yours to rig ?? I've got a young dog now that would much rather ride out back, starting to strike a little. My old rig dog is now 13 and just may pass away this week.Here it's really hard to just drop when they strike, most strikes are next to a house or farm, and unless it's 3:00am you can't let them loose.

I like to start em young with short SLOW trips on the box or hood. I usually have my kids or wife on the box with em just playin and keepin em calm. Once they are ridding with confidence I start going on rough bumpy roads until they have confidence and are standing on the rail or starting to wind from the box. Once they are at this point I do like Skidmark said, I start putting caged critters out and "trolling" past them until they bark. I always have someone on the box with them so they can get immediate lovin for showing interest. Once they are "looking" forward to smelling game I let em off the box and let hunt up the critter. Love em up good for firing on the "hidden" cage and back on the box. I also set up trash for them to ride by and correct them for showing interst. After this I start releasing critters and they start rigging their tracks, when they start with this I let em off and the race is on. Some pups really take to it and some just never show any inclination to do it. I don't waste much time on the ones who don't. You can tell pretty quick which ones might make rig dogs. They are the ones who always have their heads out the window when puppy's or are the ones who seem to run with their heads up more than on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Bluetick, here is a link to one of my dogs Rigging, as we call it. If you watch close you can tell as soon as he starts getting a nose full of the scent. We hunt like this a lot up here in this part of the country. The second video is when I turned around and started back the wind was blowing down the creek and he pretty much never shut up. :lol: A few times like this and cutting them loose to tree will make for some fine hunting. This dog was only 9 months old in this video. They learn quick.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/hapsarts/FEARLESS.HTML

Home Of World Champion OMCBA Gr.Sq.Ch. Culbertson's Wild Rose
Nt.Ch. Tree Time Galloway's Burley
Sq.Ch. Fowler Creek Stacy
W.Tr.Ch. Tree Time Maggie

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:38 pm 
IP:
Mountain Man, What kind of dog that? He acted like he smelled something he liked. Now I know rigging is road hunting, but I was refering to letting the dogs run the road in front of my moving truck, not from a box in the back. Does anyone do that? I have a bluetick pup I think I will try to get to "rig". Any info on that would be appriciated. Never even seen anyone around here do that.