CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ivomec Dosage
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I keep reading different dosages.My seringe is tenths.It goes .10,.20,.30 and so on up to 1.0.My dog is 50lbs.What is the correct amount to give him.Any help would be greatful.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Heartgard tablets for a 51-100 lb dog contain 272 mcg. (micrograms) of Ivermectin each. Ivomec 1% injectable solution for cattle contains 10 mg (10,000 mcg!) of Ivermectin in each ml (milliliter). This is according to Merial's own site.

You can break that down smaller to 1,000 mcg Ivermectin per 1/10 ml of Ivomec. If you go with the dosage for a 51-100 lb dog you would calculate 1,000 divided by 272 = 3.67 doses in a 1/10 ml of 1% Ivomec.

You can then either try dividing 1/10 ml into 3.67 doses or add fluid to it to make it an easier amount to handle and then divide that into doses. One way is to draw up 1/10 ml and count how many drops it contains then divide the number of drops into doses. Now you'll know how many drops = 1 dose. Be warned - Ivomec is not approved for use in dogs and you may have a hard time getting a vet to go along with using it. I strongly urge you to ask your vet first. Do not use it on any collie type breed because some of them have a bad reaction. If anyone else has better information please jump right in and correct me. The amount of Ivermectin in the Heartgard for a dog 26-50 lbs is 136 mcg per tablet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I believe the most common dosage is 1/10 cc for each 10 lbs of bodyweight. I asked my vet and he uses 2/10 cc for each 10lbs of weight. Either dose is enough for heartworms and if done each month they will not get heartworms. I use .5 cc for each of my dogs(40lbs) and they still had worms. I uped the dosage to .7cc and no more worms.

Just be careful. That stuff is good but it is also deadly in too large of a dose. Maybe use it is in a .5 dose each month for heartworms and give a different wormer 4 times a year for the other worms.

The warning for dogs can extend to any hearding dog including collies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I live in Heaven on Earth for mosquitoes and our dogs always test negative. The dosage for our dogs comes out to just under 2 drops per month being equal to their size-appropriate Heartgard's Ivermectin content. They are all over 50 lbs. There is a bit of leeway with the dosages as you can see - the difference between Heartgard for up to 50 lb dogs and for 51 lb dogs allows more than 100 mcg for that 1 lb difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hey Gloria, Yo might want to try hitting your hounds with a dose of K-9 Advantix. They help keep the skeeters away as well as the fleas and ticks. Nothing worse than seing your dog swarmed with mosquitos!

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I hear ya! I can't stand to see mosquitoes on a dog. The dogs don't seem to realize the mosquitoes are there until the dog is covered with them and then they just give a quick shake and the darn things come right back. If we don't put repellant on them they are pretty much defenseless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Liquid ivomec is 1cc per 50 pounds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Are you referring to the 1% or the .27%? Both are commonly used. If you mean the 1% why does the amount of Ivermectin have to be so much higher than the amount in Heartgard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

arachyd wrote:
I hear ya! I can't stand to see mosquitoes on a dog. The dogs don't seem to realize the mosquitoes are there until the dog is covered with them and then they just give a quick shake and the darn things come right back. If we don't put repellant on them they are pretty much defenseless.

I know! the poor husky down the road gets them in her ears. She ends up shaking and shaking and they come right back. The Advantix seems to keep them away pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

HunterDVM wrote:
Liquid ivomec is 1cc per 50 pounds

Can you be more specific with this? That's at least double the dosage I've ever heard recommended before. I use 1% injectable liquid and give .3 (3 tenths)cc orally to my 50-70 pound dogs and .2cc to the 37 pounder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The 1cc per 50 lbs is a old dosage and it is shown that you can go all the way to 2 cc per 50 with no problem and probably more effective treatment. As far as comparison between this dosage and heartguard, its not exactly the same. Using cattle ivomec on a dog is pretty safe but it is still "off label." The preparation and formulation isnt exactly the same, no matter what percent. This is due to the availability of a drug in solution as oppose to the heartguard pill.