CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: face barking
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i've got an 11 month old redtick that i'm starting to hunt a little bit. he has done well with pre-hunt trainning and i've had him out with the old dog a few times and he will open a little but still has alot of puppy in him and wants to play alot. i hunt with a buddy alot and we treed the other night and he wanted to face bark my buddy's dog. he was just so excited cause the other dogs were treeing and thats what caused him to do it i'm almost sure. Will he grow out of this or do i need to make some correction for him?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i'd start correction on this asap... he is almost to big for the nap of the neck "alpha dog training" you need to put a shock collar on him and light up his life a little bit... i'd give him some walks in the park 2 or 3 times a week everytime he barks at another dog within 10 foot i'd lay the juice to him! if not your going to run out of hunting buddies i can assure you that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
IP:
This is one reason why I prefer to run young dogs alone a lot at first. This dog probably has absolutely no idea what is going on at the tree so he is just doing the first thing that comes to mind. Single this dog out for a while and get him going good by himself before doing much correcting at the tree. Face barking does need to be corrected but we need to evaluate what the dog should be doing first. Turning young dogs loose with a bunch of older faster hounds causes more trouble than good most of the time regardless of what the "conventional" wisdom suggests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

this dog is not the least bit ill. he loves being around other dogs. he was just so excited and because my older hound and by buddies hound was treeing , it excited him . it isn't an ill face bark, just an excited wanted to play and be like the old dog face bark. as far as hunting him alone, i am planning to do as much as that as possible but i am wanting to hunt him with company along the way too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

like lck said hunt the dog alone for a while, let it gain some independence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thanks for the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:11 pm 
IP:
I tend to agree that this dog is not being aggressive. But could easily be if left up to it's own devices too much longer.