CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 15 month wont bark
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a 15 month walker that will be silent on track and tree. Is there any thing that i can do so shes barks. I showed her 2 caged coon let them go and went to nearest tree. She ran it got to tree but never barked. She barked like crazy at trap but 1st coon she stayed by tree awhile and then came back second she stayed there jumping around. Its too wet in WI right now to go hunting but will start again in a couple weeks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:43 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

..Have you chained her back at the tree.Then knocked coon out to the other dogs.Not letting her touch it????????That will help most dogs.((Or)) You can take a long rope and swing a dead coon in a circle around you.Just out of the dogs reach..That gets most dogs to open up...It can even be fun.. To watch a dog try to catch the coon...Its (real hard) for a dog to run in a tight circle .Like 20 ft or so..If that does not work..Its time for a rolling cage.That can get some to open up on track.But you dont want to over do it..Your dogs just not opening up.It Should.. It will just take time to figure out. How to turn the switch on...Just be patient

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does the dog act like it's afraid to bark? Or open up? If so, that should tell you something.

Post subject: young dog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

An older dog barking at the caged coon usually helps. Don't let her tree by sight very many times! They sometimes don't want to bark at just scent on the tree if you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have a eleven month old that barks at the tree but is still not opened on track. Most people I have asked say just give him time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

chet i did tie her up to a tree on a full moon and she eventually barked when she saw what the other dogs were doing and if i have a cage coon she will be barking her head off and then in kennel she barks. shes slowly turning from where i first got her by going out more. I have lots of patience so hopefully she turns thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:26 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Keep chaining her back at trees.Until she starts opening up better.Id do it until she treeing real good when you get to the tree..Also dont do anymore cage coon....If a dog acts like they will kill a cage coon.It should be stopped..They get so all they care about is killing a coon .And some get so they have to see a coon to show any interest...Id say chaining her back should work...It might take a week a month or longer just keep doing it.Shes no good the way she is now........

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wat if the season is closed for coon so i cant knock any out to her unless im on my own land. Would that help or hurt her if we cant knock it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You try could just laying her up a few months then try again.Sometimes that the best thing to do for some dogs...Some dogs just dont mature at the same rate..It should not hurt just to chain her back without knocking coon out...Most dogs need very few coon shot out to get them going.....If this is your only dog to hunt.Id start looking for another dog...You cant have too many good dogs....I like working with 2-3 young dogs at a time.That way if one or two dont make it. Maybe NO 3 will....In the long run its cheaper just to buy a good broke dog....Than to mess with pups hoping one turns out to be a keeper...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: f
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a dog like that and knocking the coon out and haven her tied back helped a lot good luck

Maycumber's Back Creek Bourban Kennels
Home of Neosho River Macey Joe
Back creek babe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A lot more money for a good broke straight dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You can buy dogs cheaper right now .Than this fall...The average well bred pup will cost $200 -300.So if you pay a $1000 for broke dog that you really like. Its a lot cheaper and faster than buying pups with your fingers crossed.Hunting them for 2 years and find out they are not a dog you want to keep...This time of year you can really get some good deals on dogs.If you look around.A lot of guys are having money trouble right now..

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well im going to tell yall i dont know where yall buy yalls dogs but i got a real good started pup for $150 that im pleased with out of this world so it dont matter wheather its cheap or not

MOLLY
KATE
ROWDY
OTIS
*****PUPS ON THE WAY*****
CANEY FORK KENNELS SYLVA, NC
JORDAN COOPER AND JESSE STEPHENS
http://i29.tinypic.com/14vjv3p_th.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She barks. I took her out last night. I went shinning and found coons in areas that were decent to go and the first drop i did she caught scent and took it through the woods. She was getting fustrated it seemed and started barking once every 10 min. then i pulled her off of the track because we where 120 acres away from vehicle and nearest road. She was running in knee deep water and coon tracks on fallen logs that she was running so thats good. Then on the way home i spotted a coon right next to the road and i let her out. She barked the whole time and zig zagging with the coon. she ran up to an abandoned house and treed in a hole going into it. I pulled her off and petted her up. I think ill kennel her up for 3 days and try it again. Any suggestions