CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: doesn't stay at tree
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 2 yr male walker, who trails good and will tree, but as soon as I get close to him on the tree he leaves and finds another trail to run. How can I get him to stay on the tree.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:48 pm 
IP:
What have you been normally doing when you get to the tree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am just getting into coon hunting and just got the dog. When I get just close enough to see the dog with the light he leaves the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 pm 
IP:
There are a few thigs to work on with this dog. I am guessing the person who sold you this dog forgot to tell you this about the dog. Sounds to me like the dog is lite shy. Does the dog have a coon in the tree's it is leaving? Or could it be slickin or treeing off game? Try turning your light off when you aproach the tree and go in slow and easy an watch the dog for a while. Then try to just catch it up and tie it off at the tree and praise it up a little if the coon is seen and then lead it off and repeat. The dog could also very easily be gunshy. This is another reason it is leaving when it see's the light coming. You have to go easy with this dog around the tree. Calm, quiet and consistant. It will gain trust and confidence with you and what happens at tree's overall. I have had very good luck breaking lite shy dogs from leaving the tree this way. The dog has to be treeing coon though. If it is treeing junk or slickin cut your losses and move on to another dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sounds like something bad has happened to this dog before while he was on the tree and it is associated with a hunting light (hunter) ... more than likely this dog has been beaten at the tree for treeing a possum or some off game or for some reason or another. This happened when he was young and it has scared his mind ... you need to just take time with him and be patient ... when you can get ahold of him and tie him to or as close as possible to the tree he was treeing on ... If you shoot the coon out to him make sure it is deader than a door nail when it comes out ... once again .. we have no idea what happened to him at the tree to make him this way ....

Ofcourse then again ... maybe he is just a trackin fool!! It sounds funny but it is true, every now and then you will run into a hound that just loves to chase and does not care much for treeing. I think I may have a female that is like that on my hands right now .... she is only 15 months so I am going to keep her and hunt her hard for awhile and hope she grows out of it. Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the help I will try it tomorrow. If you can think of anything else I can try please let me know. What is slickin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Id say this is why the guy sold the dog..How much did you pay??.....It could be treeing off game .Like possums..Then leaving when you get close...Have you been seeing dead possums while hunting???..Many dogs will kill them and still take off and hunt...I have a older dog I bought..That does that.But you would never know it unless you walk behind the dog while hunting...Its a really nice dog.But for that..I bet the guy I bought the dog from.Never even knew the dog did it......LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Slicken means the dog is treeing where there is no coon. It you go to a tree and it is not hollow and there are no other trees touching it and you know that there is nothing in the tree then it is slick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:59 am 
IP:
Jcoonhound is right about slickin. What can easily happen is a person gets a dog who is a slick treeing idiot. They try whippin the dog off of the tree so they learn not to slick tree. Well, some dogs just are so genetically inclined to just bark up tree's that they learn to leave the empty tree when they see you coming. Like mentioned before other dogs are treeing off game and learn the same lesson, they just leave before the whoopin gets there LOL. This is why it is important to sneak in and try to watch the dog a bit and get a better idea of what is going on before the dog knows your coming. How long will the dog stay treed before he see's your light coming? Will he stay put a good long time? Have you seen coon in the tree's he is leaving? This is important to know before much help can be given.